spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Jayyy
@distributel.net

Jayyy

Anon

Downtown Toronto - horrible internet service

I live in downtown Toronto and have the worst access to highspeed internet service imaginable.

We started with DSL years ago because nothing else was available in our area. The best speed we can muster up is 1.8 mgbs. Bell has even stated that their "infrastructure was degraded."

Finally we decided to switch to cable. We're with a reseller. We purchased a modem etc. The cable service is provided by Rogers.

To date Rogers would make dial-up look good.

The service is great - when it works - which is only about 50% of the time.

We're plagued with constant disconnects, followed by down time of 10 to 15 minutes. Then the service comes back for another 10 or 15 minutes before it disconnects again.

We've been working with our reseller. We've tried every possible test. It isn't the splitter, it isn't the router.

Now we're awaiting delivery of yet another modem.

We don't know if this will solve the problem.

My neighbour next door has been experiencing similar problems with Rogers (he's not with a reseller) although not as bad.

We believe the problem is with Rogers.

It has gotten so bad that I'm ready to go back to the pokey old DSL service. It was slow but at least it worked.
VHS
join:2008-11-17

VHS

i wouldn't blame slow speeds from rogers for the whole downtown area. I am at cityplace and have always received max speeds for my express package (probably because everyone is using Telus fibre optic). Anyways, my friend 10 mins away from me has crap speeds with rogers so it really depends.

BliZZardX
Premium Member
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON

BliZZardX to Jayyy

Premium Member

to Jayyy
What are your signal levels?

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to Jayyy

Premium Member

to Jayyy
Drop outs are poor signal. Get your reseller to send out a Rogers tech. You might be charged for it but the tech can boost the signal.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck to Jayyy

to Jayyy
i would switch to Rogers directly and get the problem resolved and then dump them. You won't get the blame game with Rogers if you're their customer and service calls will be free.

on top of that installation will be free and they'll likely have some half price promotions going for first few months that you can cancel.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt to Jayyy

to Jayyy
said by Jayyy :

My neighbour next door has been experiencing similar problems with Rogers (he's not with a reseller) although not as bad.

We believe the problem is with Rogers.

Given you and your neighbour are both experiencing problems, and he's with Rogers directly, it like is Rogers directly.

Your neighbour might have better luck with Rogers than you will via a wholesale provider, but maybe not.
wayner92
join:2006-01-17
Toronto, ON

wayner92 to Jayyy

to Jayyy
If you are downtown then can you leech off of open wifi signals and/or a paid wifi service? Doesn't (didn't?) Toronto Hydro offer wifi in downtown TO?

yyzlhr
@rogers.com

yyzlhr

Anon

The toronto hydro wifi project got sold to Cogeco and is now a paid service.

BliZZardX
Premium Member
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
·Bell Fibe Internet

BliZZardX

Premium Member

Even before THT One Zone was sold to Cogeco it still sucked. You only got a NAT IP which breaks a lot of programs. The backhaul is only 100/100Mbit, user speed is only 7/7Mbit and you can't get that unless you stood right under a lamp post with an access point ontop. Now Cogeco bought it they made it even worse (expensive), $6 incl tax for an hour of access or $33 for a month. Probably average speeds in most locations will be 500/500kbit.