share rss forum feed

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
reply to timcuth

Re: IPV6 advantage

A lot of hype and marketing FUD (there's plenty of that already), but little to no actual operational difference. 99% of people have no clue what's going on behind typing "www.foo.com" in their browser.

Despite all the ISPs and vendors standing up to be counted, there's next to no IPv6 deployment from any of them. What they have done is the dead minimum to get counted. (the same crap they did last IPv6 day.) My Bellsouth DSL line... no IPv6 of any kind with zero plans to ever support it. [AT&T's party line is "upgrade to Uverse", where they deploy CGN (ipv4) and 6rd (ipv6) -- i.e. a complete d***ed joke.] My Earthlink cablemodem (via TWC, D2) has no IPv6 at all -- who knows if those two will ever support it. TWC Business Class... nope. TWTC T1... negative. Megapath T1... what's IPv6? VZB DS3... no. (given how long it took to install, I'm not poking at it.)

My IPv6 is provided by tunnels to HE.net. And it has worked perfectly for years.

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105

I might also add onto that for TWC...sure, they have their shiney name out there as "we support World IPv6 {Day, Launch}" yet do very little. I replaced my D2 cable modem with a D3 one in anticipation that they just MIGHT start utilizing it for Roadrunner/HSO. Nope. That's OK, I know it's a Herculean effort to get that going properly, with all the tier 1 people trained to answer queries in case someone calls up, as well as a lot of infrastructure work.

But even more maddening, when logging in to monitor/administer your account (myservices.timewarnercable.com), one of the steps in their login process is to access "ids.rr.com". The CNAME for that is "ids.gidms.rr.com". They are so paranoid about their DNS that they will NOT answer an AAAA query for either...meaning they don't answer at all, they just allow your DNS resolver (client) to time out. The most compatible way is to answer with an SOA record (meaning there's a record with that label, but no AAAA is available), or (if applicable) NXDOMAIN.
--
English is a difficult enough language to interpret correctly when its rules are followed, let alone when a writer chooses not to follow those rules.

Jeopardy! replies and randomcaps REALLY suck!

cramer
Premium
Raleigh, NC

Actually, it's a classic broken DNS server. It won't answer *any* but "A" queries.

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium
14225-2105

I sort of associate their name "ids" with "intrusion detection system," although I don't know their true intent. I'm going to guess they've set up a firewall somewhere along the way doing deep packet inspection which passes only certain queries, which only includes A, CNAME, possibly also SOA and NS.
--
English is a difficult enough language to interpret correctly when its rules are followed, let alone when a writer chooses not to follow those rules.

cramer
Premium
Raleigh, NC

You aren't talking to "ids". The query is answered by the NS for gidms.rr.com -- gtm-01-ns.rr.com and gtm-02-ns.rr.com. Those are the broken DNS servers. They appear to not answer anything but an "A" query. You'd have to ask them what the three letters I-D-S mean. (it looks to me like id's, but who knows what mess they have internally.)

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium
14225-2105

1 recommendation

reply to cramer

Thing is, when users of those devices realize the marginal utility of continuing to operate them, they will get "kicked to the curb"....much like many of the CRT and NTSC televisions are these days. Hardly a trash pickup day goes by on which I'm driving that I don't see at least one CRT-based TV set out for pickup. It's sad to see that kind of electronics waste, but with the ATSC transition, it was nearly inevitable.
--

Expand your moderator at work