Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to Simple Guy

Re: [Snow] Removing malware Troj/Java-FR in OS X

said by Simple Guy:

At this point all I need to know is (please entirely forget about Sophos at this point) is how to use my Mac, (finder I presume) to navigate to where I can search or see hidden files. By doing that I can go to the location of the file and manually delete it.

If you have the full path in /folder/folder/folder form, then from any Finder window, go to the "Go" menu at the top of the screen and select "Go To folder". Put in the path (without the filename) and it'll take you to that folder even if it's hidden.

In general, Finder only hides files/folders that begin with a ".", but there are some special folders that are also hidden, such as /Users/you/Library and all of the system folders (/etc, /private, /var and so on).
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

Simple Guy

join:2012-05-16
reply to tmpchaos

said by tmpchaos:

That's incorrect. The screenshots both I and lordpuffer See Profile posted are from the Mac version of Sophos. His middle screenshot, for instance, can be found by clicking Sophos Ant-Virus at the top of your screen, then choosing Preferences from the drop down.

Thank you. However, I've discovered that I have a more current or latest version and the GUI is different, but that doesn't matter. In the end the functions are the same.

I have followed the directions specifically. In the most recent scan a new additional MS OS malware was detected and it was cleaned normally. That just left the original which is the OP.

To be absolutely perfectly clear I have followed the instructions to manually remove the Trojan and I have correctly carried out all instructions and run the custom scan but it does not delete the threat. There is no way to delete the this threat for some reason with Sophos. Sophos AV confirms all my actions have been the correct actions in black and white terms. No gray areas.

I'm curious about how I got this, which was very recent and then the second one was just today. Would I be correct in assuming that I am getting it via an email from a Windows computer, even if the email has no attachments of any kind?

Meanwhile I'm just going to switch to Avast if it is full anti-malware program v just a stand alone pure AV.

Thanks for all of your help and for your patience too.

modelamac

join:2002-04-13
Waterford, MI
reply to Simple Guy

This should work without a lot of fuss, since you know the name of the file.

The app EasyFind (free) will search for that file name in your hard drive or your Home folder, or wherever you tell it to search., It will look in hidden files. It will list every file with that name, show its location. The best thing is it will allow you to select and delete it right in that same window. If it requires Admin privileges to delete, you can right-click on the file and select "Show in Finder". Do that and delete it from the finder window, typing in your Admin password.

Get EasyFind here:

»www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11076/easyfind