how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dmodert66

join:2007-04-02
Ontario, CA

SlingHD or Vulkano?

This is specific for Fios users as that is what I have (Ultimate Package with several movie channels added).

I'd like your thoughts on picture quality (both wifi and 4g). I currently have a Slingbox solo. It is rather grainy and choppy on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus (720p) (even over my wireless n wifi). I am going to be getting a tablet pretty soon, so I plan to also upgrade my Slingbox.

I mostly get the choppy video/pixelation during action sequences (sports, action scenes in movies/tv shows). Netflix and GoogleVideo do not have these issues. I understand that alot is going on behind the scenes (converting the video, transmitting through the router, etc).

What I am wondering is if the Slingbox HD or Vulkano would show a marked improvement in these areas. Any input would be helpful!

julesism

join:2001-12-12
Lewisville, TX
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

I have Ultimate HD with 35/35 internet. I have a Slingbox HD. I've never been impressed with the Slingbox Android app. I do not think it is worth the $30 asking price. I must admit, I did not pay for it. That said, it usually works ok on WIFI/4G when I need to watch something. It's a little rough on 3G. 99% of the time I am near a desktop or laptop so I just use the stand alone PC/mac app or login to the site. I've used my phone as a hotspot and watched my Sling many times on my laptop and it worked fine.

I also have an Android tablet. Looks like there is a separate Sling app for tabs. Time to go apk hunting...

I've never used a Vulkano but I have always wondered how they compare to Sling.

Springbok

join:2002-09-13
Colleyville, TX
reply to dmodert66

I cannot really comment on the use of phone apps to watch Slingbox, but I can tell you not to waste time and money on the Slingbox Solo. We had the Solo and upgraded to the HD and it was a night and day difference in quality and reliability. Our Slingbox is mostly for my daughter in college to watch her recorded shows on her laptop. Sometimes when traveling I get to watch my home baseball games on my laptop. On PCs the video chip also makes a huge difference when watching HD video, again I cannot comment too much on phones - although it looked fine on my iPhone 3G on the rare occasions I watched it there.

fioseller

join:2007-08-31
Lindenhurst, NY
reply to dmodert66

I have the Vulkano/Hava App and a Hava Platinum. I use it on my laptop and my Samsung Galaxy S2. It works great on WIFI or AT&T Network.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
reply to dmodert66

I have the Sling Box Pro-HD and I love it

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to fioseller

said by fioseller:

I have the Vulkano/Hava App and a Hava Platinum. I use it on my laptop and my Samsung Galaxy S2. It works great on WIFI or AT&T Network.

I use the Hava HD as well. It works fine on Verizon wireless. Although with the HavaHD the Android app is free but it is limited to 3G and wi-Fi for remote viewing. But it looks fine on my little 3.7 inch 1280x720 ReZound screen.
The Vulkano uses an App that costs money, but it can use 4G.

Remote viewing over Wi-Fi on my 14" laptop and 11" Netbook look fine too.

andyboy

join:2011-11-28
New Rochelle, NY
reply to dmodert66

Love the slingbox PRO HD. Can't speak to 4G but viewing over wifi on my ipad 2 is terrific. Outside in a sunny environment the glare on the ipad sometimes makes it difficult to see. Have to maneuver or shade it to the extent possible. Only viewing issue has nothing to do with the slingbox. I do get occasional buffering but I think that has to do with the fact that I did an N router bridge disconnecting wireless on the actiontec. While the wifi signal is usually strong (getting 28-34ish down with 50/20 internet) the signal stregnth can vary depending on where I sit. Moving my seat just a little affects the signal so I do get some buffering, more than I got when I was using actiontec g wireless. Again, not a slingbox issue but wanted to convey full experience.

bigdaddy

join:2009-11-18
kudos:2

Can the Slingbox take the 5.1 Dolby Digital at the set top box Audio output and and send it to the output on a HDTV via HDMI from An Android Tablet ?

Springbok

Colleyville, TX

said by bigdaddy:

Can the Slingbox take the 5.1 Dolby Digital at the set top box Audio output and and send it to the output on a HDTV via HDMI from An Android Tablet ?

For HD, Slingbox uses component and analogue left/right audio. It does not do HDMI or digital audio as input. Output is via Ethernet to a device on your LAN or the Internet.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to bigdaddy

»support.slingbox.com/get/KB-2000012.html

Yes, the Slingbox Pro-HD has digital audio input, and I'm pretty sure it will transmit DD5.1.

Edit: »placeshiftingenthusiasts.com/for···-player/

According to that, the DD5.1 source is downconverted to stereo. If that information isn't outdated, it's pretty dumb to put digital audio on the box. Oh well.

As for the android app, I'm not sure. On iOS it does support video out.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

dmodert66

Ontario, CA
reply to dmodert66

Thanks for all of the input. I still want to find out if it's worth upgrading, or there is a problem with my home network (as mentioned, the solo gives me choppyness/pixelization during fast motion.)

I know it's a long shot, but I would very much appreciate if someone with an Slingbox HD and a Hava/Vulkano could post a short video showing a fast motion sport (or action scene in a movie)? Just 20 or 30 seconds would do fine and either on a phone or tablet. It would help make up my decision big time. Thanks!

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY

I have a local slingbox solo and a remote slingbox pro-hd. I'll try to capture some comparison clips if I get a few minutes of free time.

But just from my preference, yes the Pro-HD can and usually does look spectacular, especially with FiOS. But I get a similar "wow" factor using my solo (connected over component cables) on my iPad over wifi, so I'm not sure it's completely worth the upgrade if your primary consumption device is a tablet or phone.
--

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1

The quality of the Pro-HD is very good

nxtiak

join:2008-08-06
Redlands, CA
reply to dmodert66

I don't think there are any quality differences between SlingBox SOLO (1 HD input) vs SlingBox HD (has multiple HD inputs)
It really is practically the same thing and they've gone to Web streaming and abandoned their Windows SlingPlayer program (which gave much better quality)

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY

This is not true at all. The solo, while it has an HD input, does not stream at "HD" quality. The Pro-HD will stream HD video (I believe at 720p in a form of MPEG4).

As for quality, the slingplayer application was definitely easier to use (at least on a Mac), but the web player can achieve the same quality or better, in the case of the Pro-HD.
--

Springbok

Colleyville, TX
reply to nxtiak

said by nxtiak:

I don't think there are any quality differences between SlingBox SOLO (1 HD input) vs SlingBox HD (has multiple HD inputs)
It really is practically the same thing and they've gone to Web streaming and abandoned their Windows SlingPlayer program (which gave much better quality)

Respectfully disagree. We had a Solo and changed up to a HD. Big difference. On a PC with a discreet video chip (not sharing the CPU to render video) its just like watching HD TV and even fast moving video scenes do not cause problems.

dmodert66

Ontario, CA

said by Springbok:

said by nxtiak:

Respectfully disagree. We had a Solo and changed up to a HD. Big difference. On a PC with a discreet video chip (not sharing the CPU to render video) its just like watching HD TV and even fast moving video scenes do not cause problems.

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for. Someone who had a Solo and an HD. I work for a video card company, so I obviously have a discreet video card (GTX 480 currently). I will be picking up an HD in a month or 2. Appreciate the input Springbok and Thinkdiff.