join:2007-12-18
Canada

Livadia to Phorkster

to Phorkster

Re: "Undesirable" customers: Cogeco, Audet

said by Phorkster:

said by Scrabaholic:

said by Livadia:

I do not think Cogeco has a 'retention program', at least not one like Bell's. When I called to cancel my internet service (2-3 years back), there was nary any suggestion (or effort) of trying to keep me there.

(BTW, one of their offerings was a free PVR for some time. The poor thing sits there idle, mostly unconnected/unpowered. I guess I will make some use of it during the european soccer cup and the olympics.)

Yes, they have a retention department - they put me through to it about a month ago when I was going to cancel because of losing channels. They gave me a really good deal on digital including free PVR for a year.

You should hook up your PVR, you will love it. One of the really neat things you can do is rewind during a show to catch something you missed, even if you are not taping it! I use that all the time. You can also pause during the show if you get interrupted say by a phone call or need to use the bathroom etc.

Are you serious dood?

Go with Shaw Direct, they are cheaper, and their PVR is better, and they will give you one for FREE, FOREVER. No monthly payment ever.

Well, I think I know all the features of the PVR, but if one watches TV for maybe one hour a week (if at all), then a PVR is mostly useless. I used to watch 'The National' more frequently, but is has become so 'mainstream', it does not really matter anymore. Having said that, having it for free (for a while) is not a bad deal.

I did try to install Shaw Direct.... unfortunately, I could not convince my neighbour to cut down his trees!

cablesmurfet
join:2012-05-28
Burlington, ON

cablesmurfet

Too bad Shaw Direct didn't work. Maybe you could put the dish somewhere else (away from the trees.). Shaw Direct is better PQ, sound quality, and cheaper!! We dumped cable for Shaw Direct, but kept Cogeco for phone and net.

kim
MVM,
join:2001-03-25
ON

kim to Livadia

MVM,

to Livadia
Do you like movies?

I record a few series like
Top Gear
30 Rock
The Big C

The rest of my recordings are all movies.

I can't suffer through ads, I'd rather go read a book.
Livadia
Canada

Livadia

said by kim:

Do you like movies?

I record a few series like
Top Gear
30 Rock
The Big C

The rest of my recordings are all movies.

I can't suffer through ads, I'd rather go read a book.

I have a good collection of movies that (with the current pace and the occasional new movie) will last me what, five-ten years?

For Shaw now, I did like their (pre-installation) service, too bad it did not work out (the trees, remember?). Anyway, I have got a good promotion from Cogeco, I can't complain. Recently, I got another one, out of the blue. Yes, 80 GB sucks, but for the time being it is ok with me, as I hardly reach half of it. I am more concerned with the speed instability (20/1), but I have to verify that first before I contact them.

kim
MVM,
join:2001-03-25
ON

kim

MVM,

5-10 years worth of movie, I'm jealous.

When you're ready to look into your speed instability you may want to post here first. The Cogeco reps here get to the bottom of things really quick and you don't have to listen to the elevator music on hold.

Fairyland
@74.198.9.x

Fairyland

Anon

said by kim:

When you're ready to look into your speed instability you may want to post here first. The Cogeco reps here get to the bottom of things really quick and you don't have to listen to the elevator music on hold.

Why dosen't cogeco stop half assing it and get a direct forum like other isps instead of just getting random insecure accounts asking for personal information?

You're in fantasy land if you think getting help here is faster then the phone, I got help and it took at least 3 days to solve something that over the phone took 15minutes. Plus makes sense have the people at cogeco responsible for helping do their job and not feel like just some guy is doing you a favor for something cogeco should be doing in the first place.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

1 recommendation

dillyhammer

Premium Member

I'm sure in some cases a quick phone call is in order, but the techs here aren't level 1 phone support reading off a script. They really are head-n-shoulders above phone support, by orders of magnitude.

Example: I had an issue with my Cogeco receiver, phone support no help at all, PM'd Marcer my info, he called me within minutes and weaved some magic on the thing that fixed it. Suddenly got the channels I was paying for that phone folk said I was SOL for.

Aside from formal channels, fellow users are a real boon.

As far as I'm concerned, DSLr membership has it's privileges - and this forum is one of them. I always try fixing things through here first.

I do agree - Cogeco needs to make some noise with the good folk at DSLr and get it's own direct forum. That's long overdue.
Mike
Livadia
Canada

Livadia to kim

to kim
said by kim:

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I will post what I find. Some suspicions for the time being, I need a bit more time to investigate it.

(As an aside. I do not want to feel the same embarrassed as the last time I called cogeco. I was copying a large file, using scp, that lasted a good ten minutes or so. During that time my wife's and my web browsing was almost halted. Well, I phoned cogeco, good thing I was not insisting! BTW, if you do use scp add the keyword -l with some number, around 50000, to limit the transfer. It will take longer for the file transfer, but you will have some spare bandwidth. Apparently, this is particularly important if you have switches/bridges in between, and it may also depend on your router.)