spc
Search similar:

uniqs
MysticGuitar
join:2012-04-12
Waterdown, ON

MysticGuitar

[Hamilton] Is Cogeco Increasing Speeds?

After I heard that Bell started offering 175 Mbps upload and download speeds, I was wondering if Cogeco was going down a similar route?
Specifically regarding the upload speeds.

Thanks, and although 55 Mbps download is all well and good, 2 Mbps upload is extremely slow.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Cogeco is still running a single unbonded 16QAM upstream channel on most nodes, with a few 64QAM channels sprinkled here and there in the busier areas. You're not going to see anything more than 1-2Mbit/s upstream offered until they start deploying more bonded channels.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to MysticGuitar

Premium Member

to MysticGuitar
said by MysticGuitar:

After I heard that Bell started offering 175 Mbps upload and download speeds, I was wondering if Cogeco was going down a similar route?

Hmm 175 / 175 Mbps for $129.95 with 300GB usage... that seems extremely competitive.

I did find:
quote:
(2) Certain speeds are only available in specific areas.
I called in and was told that this 175 Mbps plan is not available yet, lol! Not just in my area, but at all, it's not available, period. I asked why they had something on their web site that wasn't available and was told, "I'm not sure."

Here in St. Catharines in a regular suburban neighbourhood the fastest I can get is 5 Mbps. My business location is strangely limited to 3 Mbps and it's also in a dense commercial / residential area.

I guess this gives Cogeco time to catch up...

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

175/175 is FTTN. You can get it if you move to some of the news houses going into Confederation Park in Thorold and possibly (I have no way to confirm other than seeing fibre lines without copper in front of empty lots) the new developments in St. Catharines along the canal, but that's about it in Niagara and you're unlikely to see it anywhere else until my son is graduating high school.

There's lots of ADSL2 in St. Catharines, I'm surprised you wouldn't be able to get at least 16. Every address of my family members and some random ones of friends I've checked are good for at least 16/1 in St. Catharines.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

I was told I won't be seeing anything faster than 30 in this city, if I'm lucky, by the residential agent that was in Ontario. I tried both residential and business. The business agent was somewhere overseas and didn't know much about anything, but he said the package isn't available.

I had him punch in a pile of both residential and business postal codes all over St. Catharines and most came up 5 but had a few spots that were 16. 3rd ave louth / 3rd street louth was 5, vine / linwell was 5, glenridge by glendale was 5... I forget what the 16 was now, it was on my random list after I gave up with google maps'ing postal codes. Didn't get anything higher but I didn't try any 'this year' subdivisions.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

There's a remote SLAM at the corner of Ridley and Vansickle that's active, so Third and Third may be a bit far but areas east of there should be good. My grandfather lives at Geneva/Scott and qualifies for 16/1. My father lives on Lincoln and qualifies for 16/1. Secord Woods qualifies for 16/1. So does the Vansickle and Pelham. I suppose it depends just how far away you are from a JWI with an RSLAM strapped on the side, but there's a lot of 16/1 available in St. Catharines, comparable with other cities its size. Niagara Falls also has some 16/1 but not nearly as much. Bupkis for anywhere else in Niagara.

30 is VDSL2. You'll see that when they launch Fibe TV in the next year or so, they slowly seem to be making their way east down the QEW from Hamilton and are wiring up Stoney Creek and Grimsby right now. Other than St. Cats and Niagara Falls, I don't expect you'll see Fibe TV anywhere else in Niagara for a very long time.

LoFi
@bell.ca

LoFi to urbanriot

Anon

to urbanriot
Cogeco will have plenty of time to catch up as the Bell 175 service is only available in few select, unique locations in Ontario. The deployment is Quebec-centric at this time and you'll be waiting a bare minimum of two years before you get it. Most likely it'll be much longer a wait than two years.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

My grandfather lives at Geneva/Scott and qualifies for 16/1.

That's like, around the corner for me, I could throw a football at his house; I'm rated for 5. Funny how that works.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

1 edit

Gone

Premium Member

You want to hear a real shocker? I just punched in my uncle's address off of Sherman Drive and it just qualified him for 25/10. That's the first time I've seen any VDSL2 anywhere in Niagara. They must be further down the QEW than I thought.

Edit - heh, my Father on Lincoln now qualifies for 25/10 too, and the system is smart enough to know by address because if I punch others in it shows me just 5/1.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

I tried the online tester in the event the online component is faulty or inaccurate to what the people on the phone will tell you, but my postal code comes up as 5/1. Your uncle must have a different postal code than me. I have no idea how large or small postal code areas are...

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

You guys could both be served by a different JWI or remote.

He's not exactly on Sherman, but close enough to it. Seeing 25/10 for my Father on Lincoln surprised the heck out of me.

I just threw in my Grandfather who lives in the Kiwanis Park seniors building on Geneva and he also qualifies for 25/10 now. If I put in my own address and the address of my store here in Fort Erie, they show 5/1. They must have lit up a bunch of VDSL2 SLAMs in St. Catharines. I know they've been in the works for a while, but I figured they wouldn't be ready until the Fall based on what I had heard.
DoctorT
join:2011-07-23
Hamilton, ON

DoctorT

I'm in the North end of St. Catharines and bell says I qualify for 25/10. Currently on 16/1 though (realistically 16.5/0.9). Maybe I'll switch over if they give me some nice promotion. ;P Those uploads look really nice.
I'm near the Scott and Geneva intersection, but closer to bell's Linwell CO building.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by DoctorT:

I'm in the North end of St. Catharines and bell says I qualify for 25/10. Currently on 16/1 though (realistically 16.5/0.9). Maybe I'll switch over...

Exercise extreme caution. You might want to read up on some of the modem issues they're having over in the broadband and tsi forums. My area just got wired up for 25/10 and I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole at the moment.

Mike
MysticGuitar
join:2012-04-12
Waterdown, ON

MysticGuitar to urbanriot

to urbanriot
As of now, Bell doesn't even cover my current location, but considering how I've been planning on moving to another city for a while now, moving to one with access to Bells new internet plans would be a major plus.

Bell is setting a new standard for upload speeds, and I do hope other companies start to take notice. That's mainly why I asked if Cogeco had any plans on increasing their upload speeds, as what's to stop me from simply switching over to Bell?

If anything, I can expect that Cogeco and Rogers will soon start to implement faster speeds. If they don't, I can only see them losing more and more customers.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by MysticGuitar:

If anything, I can expect that Cogeco and Rogers will soon start to implement faster speeds. If they don't, I can only see them losing more and more customers.

Considering that Cogeco is stuck at 50Mbit/s when Shaw, Videotron and Eastlink are all doing 100Mbit/s and Rogers is doing 75, I wouldn't exactly hold my breath over Cogeco offering leading-edge cable speeds anytime in the near future.
Gone

Gone to DoctorT

Premium Member

to DoctorT
said by DoctorT:

I'm in the North end of St. Catharines and bell says I qualify for 25/10. Currently on 16/1 though (realistically 16.5/0.9). Maybe I'll switch over if they give me some nice promotion. ;P Those uploads look really nice.
I'm near the Scott and Geneva intersection, but closer to bell's Linwell CO building.

I popped my Grandfather's phone number into Teksavvy's page and it qualified for 25/7 on there, too. They must have just lit these up.

Only a matter of time now before there's Fibe TV.