how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jameswade

join:2001-12-09
Hot Springs, NC

[Equipment] 802.11a USB adapter

I'm doing some work for a local WISP that is using some Waverider NCL-58xx 5 Ghz radios and some Tranzeo TR-5A-xx 5 Ghz radios.

From what I can see in the specs these radios follow 802.22a.

At times I'd like to do quick checks that these radios are emitting RF so I got an Alfa AWUS051NH 802.11n dual band USB adapter. It has a Ralink chip inside and claims to do 802.11a.

Would I expect to be able to see the WISP's 5 Ghz 802.11a radios? Any chance that I could actually connect to them?

Ideally my Android phone would have an external antenna connector and I'd be able to hook directional antennas to it to check signal strength and direction. Or a 700 - 6 Ghz spectrum analyzer app and hardware for the Android. Maybe a USB device that could hook to the phone to help see what's going on in RF land...

Is there any place online that has an explanation of how 802.11a works with respect to the above radios so I could get myself up to speed?

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
kudos:1

Smells fishy to me. Doing work for a WISP but you're asking these questions? I for one am cautious to provide any information.

jcremin

join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI
kudos:2

said by wirelessdog:

Smells fishy to me. Doing work for a WISP but you're asking these questions? I for one am cautious to provide any information.

Same here....

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5
reply to jameswade

You could use a UBNT SRC-71 USB dongle for 2.4 and 5.8, but you have to be pretty close to the tower to see the AP.

Get some some UBNT radios with the built in spectrum analyzer, and cable them to your local 2.4 hotspot, then connect with your phone.

said by jameswade:

Is there any place online that has an explanation of how 802.11a works with respect to the above radios so I could get myself up to speed?

And you are doing some local work for a WISP and are asking this?

jameswade

Hot Springs, NC

Well my reply disappeared - that's both fishy and suspicious...

At any rate, thank you WHT for the information.

I don't know why this seems so fishy and suspicious - I've worked in electronics for over 35 years - some of it RF and some it in microwave links for analog television and FM radio as well as telemetry.

Now I'm helping out this WISP and their customers - I'm the best they could do in the area and I'm trying to learn to better help them. If anyone is interested in moving themselves out here to do the job let me know and I'll gladly hand it to you.

Until then please keep you fishy suspicions out of my thread!

treichhart

join:2006-12-12
reply to jameswade

Well James good look on getting help from anybody else in here because these members in here have the right to be fishy and suspicious.

WHT

Rosston, TX
reply to jameswade

I applaud your efforts to help a WISP.

said by jameswade:

I've worked in electronics for over 35 years - some of it RF and some it in microwave links for analog television and FM radio as well as telemetry.

But there is very little prior networking or RF experience that can effectively carry over to a WISP project.

WHT

Rosston, TX
reply to jameswade

It doesn't look so fishy or suspicious now. At first, we thought you might have been an inexperienced hacker trying to disrupt something - but now that you clarified your role, welcome to the forum.

wirelessdog

Queen Anne, MD
reply to jameswade

What is the name of the WISP?

jameswade

Hot Springs, NC

OK, I've been using DSL Reports way longer than you guys. And I've been watching this forum for a long time.

And I'm not telling anyone where I work on a public forum available to anyone with access to a search engine. The clues are there, I'm sure that most anyone can figure it out if they really need to know.

And I do feel that my experience has carried over effectively to helping maintain this WISP - I never said that I was setting up a new WISP project. And I do much better installs, repairs, and troubleshooting that many that I've seen. I've been working with lightning abatement, RF, customer support, FAA regulations, FCC regulations, antennas, towers, grounding, IT, etc. for decades. I just don't understand all 802.11xx and different manufacturers have implemented it yet. And I'm always on the lookout for test equipment to help me work.

So please, if you don't have anything positive to contribute to my thread don't reply, I have work to do and don't need the snarkiness.

jcremin

Siren, WI

Nobody is being snarky except yourself. We are all just looking out for each other and aren't willing to help someone who might be trying to hack into another WISP's network. That's why people (including myself) were cautious about offering you help.

You have to realize that your first post didn't give a lot to go on. You called it 802.22a, which I'm sure was an innocent typo, but from our perspective, it could just as easily mean you don't even know the technology well enough to call it by the right name. People usually don't go and work for a WISP unless they know what their doing. Most of the posts from people who are just learning the technology are from people starting a new WISP.

And you also didn't ask a whole lot other than "how does this stuff work". If you ask a bit more specific questions, it will be easier to provide you with some answers. The only thing you really asked is "will an 802.11a USB card be able to see 802.11a access points or be able to connect to them". Best I can do is say "maybe, depends on how they are setup."

Getting overly defensive and snippy with the people you are asking for help won't make many people want to offer it. Keep in mind, most of us work too many hours to keep track of, and the last thing we want to do is come on a forum after working all day and waste time offering free help to someone who is going to be rude to us. So take a deep breath, let us know EXACTLY what you need to know, and I'm sure we can share some of our experience with you.

treichhart

reply to jameswade

Then if you want help from us dont get pissy with us we asked answers so why not tell us what we asked its not that hard are you scared of something or got something to hide? If you want to give rude answers we can give rude replies back its simple as that you come on here asking for help and we are trying to help but your refusing who your working with in the first place.

It only takes one person like you to turn this post into a bad topic like it is already....

All we are asking is who this WISP your working with because it could be one of these WISP's on this forum that your probably trying to hack into there network so please tell us who your working with so we can all be at ease here.

wirelessdog

Queen Anne, MD
reply to jameswade

About this Forum:
Forum regulars run WISPs ranging from a few to several thousand customers. These people are a valuable resource and are to be treated with respect. If you ask a question and receive an answer, be grateful that someone took their time out from a busy schedule to try and help you, even if it was not the answer you were looking for. If you have patience, you can get the answers you need.

Do Your Homework Before Posting:
Check the forum resources and forum links before posting questions like "What is the best equipment to use to start a WISP?" Please use these resources to learn the basics, as questions like the above will likely not receive an answer. After learning the basics and understanding most of the principles behind running a WISP, if you have a question that can not be answered by using Google, by all means ask it here. WISP Forum FAQ

jameswade

Hot Springs, NC

said by wirelessdog:

About this Forum:
Forum regulars run WISPs ranging from a few to several thousand customers. These people are a valuable resource and are to be treated with respect.

said by wirelessdog:

Smells fishy to me.

Please, I'm working on a project for a WISP with only a few hundred customers, but still quite a few customers.

You are taking my valuable time with some kind with this stuff, apparently you have time for this, but you keep interrupting my work.

I read the FAQs and I've done research and just had a couple of questions. Please leave this thread alone and let me get back to work.

Wait, I just figured out how to block your posts so that I don't have to see them any more...

treichhart

reply to jameswade

Alright jameswade your being really rude I am about ready to flag this post and let the mods take care of this post because it seems like you got something to hide and you giving us rude answers back.

We are trying to help you but it all it seems like your noting but giving rude replies back with that kind of reply your not going to get any help so it seems like you dont want any help from us.

jakkwb

join:2009-04-27
USA

Jameswade,

Thought I would chime in here. Wirelessdog, WHT, and others who have posted are always leary of posters who might appear to be *hackers* wanting to cause mischief. I know, I know this has already been said above, but well worth repeating in light of the conversation above.

These gentlemen know their stuff and regularly help me out. I am a small WISP also, with a few hundred customers. They are all more than willing to help me out whenever I post.

You should give them a second chance (if they will). They have MUCH knowledge that I take in every day they post.

Just my .02c

Jerm

join:2000-04-10
Richland, WA
reply to jameswade

»www.ubnt.com/airview

WHT

Rosston, TX
reply to jameswade

From my post on the UBNT forum,

Q. Is there a machine?
A. Spectrum analyzer
$1,000 »www.spectran.com/Spectran6000_Sp···n.shtmll Up to 6 GHz. Hand held version. Or »www.aaronia-shop.com/products/pc···.htmlfor a USB laptop screen.
$500 »www.metageek.net for 2.4 and 5.8 band Wi-Spy DBx
$100 UBNT AirMax radio with built in AirView spectrum analyzer for RF signals (not APs)
$120 UBNT SRC SuperRangeCardbus »www.ubnt.com/src and Netstumbler for looking for access points (only sees APs, not Rf signals)

Q. Is there a company that provides the various analysis?
A. You could do your own field surveys.

Q-optional. Footprint and propagation software.
A. Free cost Radio Mobile »www.cplus.org/rmw/english1.html

jameswade

Hot Springs, NC
reply to jakkwb

Thanks jakkwb, but I'm a firm believer in innocent until proven guilty. I've blocked the guys making the accusations - I just don't need their knowledge that bad.

said by jakkwb:

Jameswade,

Thought I would chime in here. Wirelessdog, WHT, and others who have posted are always leary of posters who might appear to be *hackers* wanting to cause mischief. I know, I know this has already been said above, but well worth repeating in light of the conversation above.

These gentlemen know their stuff and regularly help me out. I am a small WISP also, with a few hundred customers. They are all more than willing to help me out whenever I post.

You should give them a second chance (if they will). They have MUCH knowledge that I take in every day they post.

Just my .02c

jameswade

Hot Springs, NC
reply to Jerm

Thanks Jerm, I download that a while back, but didn't have a Ubiquity radio to go with it. I think I saw a Bullet around the shop the other day, I need to experiment with it and this software. I'll post what I find out!

jameswade

Hot Springs, NC
reply to WHT

This is interesting, thanks:

»www.aaronia-shop.com/products/pc···v4x.html

For 2.4 Ghz site checks and coverage checks I use WiFi Analyzer on Andriod, but it only knows about 2.4 Ghz WiFi with the beacon on and can't tell me about interference.

There is a big 'ol bulky spectrum analyzer in the office, but I can't keep it with me in the field and easily keep track of what's going on in the ever changing ISM bands.

And I'm still really curious about the new dual band cards coming out that claim to do 802.11a.

After a weekend of experiment with the Waverider PTP stuff and my card with the Ralink chip(set) in it I don't see it being useful for detecting if a given radio is emitting RF, much less actually connecting to it - I suppose the card and software need to see some sort of beacon and these radios don't seem to be putting one out.

Next I'll take some of the Tranzeo radios home (in a tiny valley with no neighbors or a way for 5 Ghz to escape) and see if the card will recognize them. If the card sees them I may be able to use it for quick signal strength tests. And maybe this card could be CPE for the Tranzeo radios.

I'm still hunting for the documents that will help me understand how the 802.11a implementation varies between these radios.

Thanks for the help!

WHT

Rosston, TX
reply to jameswade

said by jameswade:

I've blocked the guys making the accusations

Well if I'm blocked, that's a shame because I provided a list of useful tools in my above post.

jcremin

Siren, WI

said by WHT:

said by jameswade:

I've blocked the guys making the accusations

Well if I'm blocked, that's a shame because I provided a list of useful tools in my above post.

I was thinking the same thing... Some of the people he blocked are probably the most likely that would have been able to help him. Guess he doesn't want help that bad.

treichhart

reply to jameswade

Well if I am blocked so be it just comes to show he doesnt want any type of help from us end of story so we should stop replying to this topic see how far he gets until he starts a new thread with same stuff and asking for new help again.

Jason
Stowage Class Traveler
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-24
38.2967 Lat
kudos:3
reply to jameswade

I'm going to go and lock this in place..

It looks like jameswade See Profile got some of the info he was looking for.

Now its just turning into a moaning match.

The tools that WISP techs use can easily be used for deviant purposes, I'd be shocked, frankly, if there wasn't a healthy amount of skepticism from the regulars about questions of this nature, Surely you can appreciate that.
--
When cryptography is outlawed, bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir cevinpl.