Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to iron_hike

Re: FIOS and OpenDNS

said by iron_hike:

I am not interested in running the open DNS updater program. My household has laptops that leave my house network and update opendns with the wrong ip addresses. Hence my need for the Linksys.

On dd-wrt firmware, there's an option to disable the WAN interface. That allows it to update the time via the LAN connection. I believe you have to find the same option on Tomato and make sure the "External IP checker" option is activated for DDNS, as you said earlier.

The problem is that without disabling the WAN interface, there's likely a default route on your router that goes nowhere. So anything it tries to send that isn't 192.168.1.1/24 gets dropped. Disabling the WAN interface should make the actiontec the default gateway, allowing it to get internet access.

Edit: Here it is. The WAN needs to be disabled, along with the DHCP server:
»www.wi-fiplanet.com/img/2009/03/···ient.jpg

If that still doesn't work, you may have to manually set a default route, or the Tomato implementation of DDNS just can't handle when the WAN is not the active internet connection.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

iron_hike

join:2012-05-28

Would you recommend dd-wrt over tomato? Perhaps I need to use dd-wet.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY

I prefer dd-wrt, but others swear by tomato. When I tried tomato, I thought it was too watered down.

If you like Tomato, keep it. Just try the options I mentioned above.
--

iron_hike

reply to Thinkdiff

Darn. I thought maybe I hadn't disabled the WAN like you showed me, but I already had it disabled. Any ideas on how to set a default route?

Do you think I will have a better chance with DD-WRT?

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY

I have a number of dd-wrt routers setup with the WAN disabled. I can let you know if DDNS works later tonight.
--

iron_hike

Thanks I appreciate it.

Setting up a LAN to LAN from the Actiontec to the Linksys was an easy setup and I thought it would be easy to set up the DDNS Oh well.

eival

join:2008-07-09
reply to iron_hike

you dont have to disable the Fios DHCP, and you dont have to set up a DnyDNS, just setup your router normally, connect an ethernet cord to the fios router thru the LAN and your router will apply IPs to your STBs and you can set up any other policies, the Fios router can apply its own IPs to the STBs but it wont matter cause its all on its own LAN side, theres no impact on the actual traffic since your MOCA is disabled, the router handles everything, you can use any DNS servers you want, all that DynDNS and NTP times are really irrelevant, setup your router to block what you dont want and allow what you want and QoS and ect... and it shouldnt really matter...unless you're trying to host websites that would actually attract traffic from attacks which is against TOS

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY

said by eival:

you dont have to disable the Fios DHCP, and you dont have to set up a DnyDNS, just setup your router normally, connect an ethernet cord to the fios router thru the LAN and your router will apply IPs to your STBs and you can set up any other policies, the Fios router can apply its own IPs to the STBs but it wont matter cause its all on its own LAN side, theres no impact on the actual traffic since your MOCA is disabled, the router handles everything, you can use any DNS servers you want, all that DynDNS and NTP times are really irrelevant, setup your router to block what you dont want and allow what you want and QoS and ect... and it shouldnt really matter...unless you're trying to host websites that would actually attract traffic from attacks which is against TOS

I'm not exactly sure what topology you're suggesting as it sounds like you're mixing up a few things, but I think you're saying third-party primary, and then Actiontec connected to the LAN through it's WAN port (creating two networks). This assuming you're OK with 1. possibly reducing the internet throughput (the WRT54G is a pretty old router), 2. the OP can run CAT5 to his router, 3. the OP is ok with losing Remote DVR and Caller ID on the STBs (without going through a few work arounds).

Anyway, to the OP: Sorry, didn't get to it last night. I'll try to remember today
--

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
reply to iron_hike

Just tried it out on one of my routers (setup as a switch). It worked perfectly. One hiccup was making sure in addition to setting the static IP for the router, I had to specify a DNS server (I just used my main router's IP).

But that's one thing you could check on Tomato. Make sure you've set a valid DNS server for the router's static IP. Without it, dd-wrt wasn't able to resolve the dyndns or dnsomatic domains.
--

greglinde

join:2006-07-03
Somerville, NJ
reply to iron_hike

I have a similar setup, although my Linksys running Tomato is connected LAN -> WAN (AT -> Linksys), and I followed the directions here .

That's worked fine for me for over a year, and the External IP Address Checker option means I don't need to run the OpenDNS updater program.

iron_hike

reply to Thinkdiff

said by Thinkdiff:

Just tried it out on one of my routers (setup as a switch). It worked perfectly. One hiccup was making sure in addition to setting the static IP for the router, I had to specify a DNS server (I just used my main router's IP).

But that's one thing you could check on Tomato. Make sure you've set a valid DNS server for the router's static IP. Without it, dd-wrt wasn't able to resolve the dyndns or dnsomatic domains.

Let me try to regurgitate this and let me know if I am correct. My main router (Actiontec) has a LAN IP of 192.168.1.1. I also need to set up a DNS server on my Linksys that uses the IP address 192.168.1.1?

@greglinde - Can I see the link of the directions you used? I was looking into possibly doing a setup like. Thanks!

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY

Click for full size
said by iron_hike:

Let me try to regurgitate this and let me know if I am correct. My main router (Actiontec) has a LAN IP of 192.168.1.1. I also need to set up a DNS server on my Linksys that uses the IP address 192.168.1.1?

Yep, that's what I meant. Here's a picture of my settings from my dd-wrt router. My network is 192.168.2.x.
--

iron_hike

Okay. I have my Linksys router working! It says it successfully updated my OpenDNS account.

This leads me to my next question - where do I input the OpenDNS addresses? Before I had FIOS it was as easy as following these directions on the OpenDNS website -> »goo.gl/4QKvg

Considering I do not have DHCP server enabled, I feel like my only option is the Actiontec router. Right?

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY

Yes. The OpenDNS server should be entered on the Actiontec router the same way the others were pointing out earlier. In this case, the actiontec will forward DNS queries to OpenDNS while the Linksys router just keeps OpenDNS aware of your public IP address.
--

iron_hike

reply to UofMiamiGrad

said by UofMiamiGrad:

Ok go into your router then click broadband connection under my router heading. Once there then go to broadband connection (coax), if using ethernet then go to broadband connection (ethernet). Then click settings, then DNS server use the following DNS servers and enter the Open DNS server IP addresses below. Click apply and all should be well.

Last time I changed the settings just as the quote above reads (and the picture on the first page), I lost my cable TV and had to call Verizon to reset everything. I do want to point out that the picture on the first page is configuring the Ethernet broadband connection. I am using the Coax connection or MOCA from what I understand. And since my cable TV and internet are provided through the same "line" (for lack of a better word), changing my DNS Server settings may cause my cable to go out again (after a few days). Please correct me if I am wrong. But I believe this is what got me in trouble last time and I trying to avoid.

From what a VZ technical operator told me - the cable boxes use the DNS Server addresses to "talk" with the main VZ office, in order to prevent spoofing.

greglinde

join:2006-07-03
Somerville, NJ
reply to iron_hike

Sorry - not sure how that got stripped out.
»forums.opendns.com/comments.php?···nID=6719

HarleyYac
Lee
Premium
join:2001-10-13
Allendale, NJ
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Verizon Online DSL
·Optimum Online
reply to More Fiber

slightly off topic but how does Actiontec REV I and Open Dns work with Caller ID. I thought in the past there was a mention that we had to use VZ DNS settings in order for it to function properly.
THx
Lee
--
My opinion on religion and science? Science builds airplanes. Religion flies them into buildings.

HD_Ride
Premium
join:2000-10-18
Jerseyastan
reply to More Fiber

said by More Fiber:

said by birdfeedr:

does opendns also provide dyndns services?

They are different services, although at one point I thought OpenDNS did provide dynamic DNS services, however I can't find any reference to dynamic DNS services on the OpenDNS web site.

You may be thinking of this…. OpenDNS had one of those apps you install on your pc to monitor your IP. The only benefit of that app was to track your IP so OpenDNS could enforce any parental controls (via IP) you may have had enabled on the your OpenDNS account. So for lack of a better term I guess you could call it proprietary DNS services. Again, this is only if someone opted to create an account, apparently they changed that service. I don’t need parental controls or restrictions but I did have an account with OpenDNS which is no longer valid.

As far as DDNS Services dd-wrt firmware has it built-in. I have DDNS configured on my dd-wrt router but I don’t think my IP has changed in over a year. The last time it did change was because of a lengthy power outage but if it does I'll be ready so I could still tunnel in

iron_hike

reply to HarleyYac

said by HarleyYac:

slightly off topic but how does Actiontec REV I and Open Dns work with Caller ID. I thought in the past there was a mention that we had to use VZ DNS settings in order for it to function properly.
THx
Lee

I am no expert, but I believe that you would have to use VZ DNS settings in order for the Caller ID to work properly. I am in the same boat I think.

At this point, I think I need to create a 2nd gateway with my Linksys router.

What is the best way to use my Linksys router with the Actiontec router so that I can use the DDNS setting of my Linksys Tomato router with the DNS server addresses? Bridging my connection? LAN-WAN connection?

HarleyYac
Lee
Premium
join:2001-10-13
Allendale, NJ
kudos:2

seems to be working.. I am currently on day 4 ..
Lee