spc
uniqs
technocar2
join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON

technocar2 to No_Style

to No_Style

Re: [Cable] TekSavvy Won't Register My SB6121

Nonsense from TSI and Rogers, try again and this time tell them its 1.0.6.1, the CMTS will automatically send down 1.0.6.1 once it detects that your modem is running on the older version.

anon user
@teksavvy.com

anon user

Anon

I have a 6121 running older firmware as well, its been fine for almost a year now. Rogers will not send down the updated firmware, they have stopped doing this after a fiasco with the 6120 upgrades. Not too sure of the details on how that went down.

technocar2 is right, just tell them it is the supported version number. They can't tell, and it will work properly.
the cerberus
join:2007-10-16
Richmond Hill, ON

2 edits

the cerberus

said by anon user :

I have a 6121 running older firmware as well, its been fine for almost a year now. Rogers will not send down the updated firmware, they have stopped doing this after a fiasco with the 6120 upgrades. Not too sure of the details on how that went down.

technocar2 is right, just tell them it is the supported version number. They can't tell, and it will work properly.

Same here. I purchased my SB6121 directly from TSI, it came with 1.0.5.0 and has never been upgraded, works just fine, and what the OP was told is just nonsense.
Easiest thing to do would be to tell them its 1.0.6.1, and they will never know.
However if you are feeling honest, you can keep calling back and try to get a rep who doesnt tell you such nonsense.

I dont think rogers has updated ANY 6121's on their network, but I could be wrong.
What they did do is upgraded the 6120's to a bad firmware, made their own problem and got 1.0.6.1 pushed out to fix the very problem they made.
Before that whole problem which they made themselves, the attitude for firmware on cable modems was "if its not broken, dont update it".

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

Bought my SB6120 from TigerDirect.ca sometime last spring (after waiting 6 months for them to bring it into the store for me and not via online order so I could pick it up personally.) it came with the SB612X-1.0.3.3-SCM00-NOSH firmware; so when I joined TekSavvy back end of August, early September, I was able to get the SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.1-SCM00-NOSH firmware pushed to me. That finally happened a few days later. Thinks I documented that in my review .

That was then. This is now, so I don't know if the CMTS will automagically 'update' the firmware eventually or if you'll need to request a firmware push. However TekSavvy should still be able to take your HFC MAC & Serial number for the unit and have it proccessed for provisioning for the network. Basically the SB6121 should be provisioned just like the SB6120. So I suggest getting it provisioned via the TekSavvy Direct forum.

There is only one caveat, the modem in question must not be provisioned beforehand on any other network, if it is then it must be deprovisioned on that other network before it can be provisioned for the TekSavvy/rogers network. If its brand spanking new it shouldn't matter.

So don't just give in and give up; do try, and if you still encounter a resoulute no, then be sure to get a very good answer for the why of it, even if you must escalate your case to make it so. Good luck.
the cerberus
join:2007-10-16
Richmond Hill, ON

the cerberus

said by TwiztedZero:

There is only one caveat, the modem in question must not be provisioned beforehand on any other network, if it is then it must be deprovisioned on that other network before it can be provisioned for the TekSavvy/rogers network. If its brand spanking new it shouldn't matter.

Not correct at all, cable networks aren't all connected together.
(ie a modem banned or activated already on comcast will work fine on rogers, because the 2 arent connected)
Heck POI's aren't even aggregated on TSI's network.
The only time you will have a problem is if the modem was activated on the same POI or aggregated network (ie Rogers or Rogers TPIA).

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

said by the cerberus:

said by TwiztedZero:

Not correct at all, cable networks aren't all connected together.
(ie a modem banned or activated already on comcast will work fine on rogers, because the 2 arent connected)
Heck POI's aren't even aggregated on TSI's network.
The only time you will have a problem is if the modem was activated on the same POI or aggregated network (ie Rogers or Rogers TPIA).

Interesting, and noted. Thanks for the heads up
yuanqi
join:2009-01-19
London, ON

1 recommendation

yuanqi to TwiztedZero

to TwiztedZero
Well, I bought an SB6120 from eBay with an older firmware. My cable service was activated in April of this year, and the firmware was pushed to my modem a few days later.