share rss forum feed

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1

MagicJack Plus: Keeps turning "off".

We had this problem with the old usb magicjack dongle. It would "turn off" for what ever reason. Then I'd have to pull the dongle, reboot the PC, then plug the dongle in, and it worked fine.

Because of that, we moved to the MagicJack plus, thinking ok, it would stay on. because it wouldn't be plugged into a PC.
I noticed the first time it stopped working, the MagicJack plus was very warm/hot to the touch. Is the plus supposed to get that hot?

Is there a "tweak" to keep the plus from turning off?
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

lugnut

@look.ca

Re: MagicJack Plus: Keeps turning "off".

I've had the MJ+ for about 5 months now and haven't had any problems with it going to sleep or hibernating..

I did have a problem briefly where my router would shut down when my computer shut down but it turned out that I had the MJ+ and the computer and the router all plugged into an APC UPS with the outlets under computer control to shut down when the computer powered down.

Juggling a few outlets solved that problem in a hurry.

Check your setup. As far as I know, MJ+ does not sleep or hibernate.

greenman

join:2002-06-18
Athens, GA
reply to Snakeoil

I had that problem a couple months ago. I downloaded the 'Lucky You' firmware update, loaded it onto the mJ+, and it fixed the problem.
»upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/m···etup.exe
--
MJCheck - »mjcheck.low.li
Find out if you have the most recent 'Lucky You' update file.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

Thank you. Will this solve the heat issue as well?
My MJ+ gets very warm to the touch, almost as if there is a short inside the unit.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to greenman

I tried that, sorry about the late update, a few weeks ago. No joy. The MJ+ still gets hot and crashes.
We have to unplug it for 5 minutes, plug it in. Have to do this at least once, sometimes twice a day.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.