spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DrXenon

join:2007-01-20
Kingston, ON

Crossover cable req'd for Airport router and DPC3000?

So, the installer came this morning and reported that I have very high signal strength, to the point that he installed an attenuator. All the lights on the DPC3000 are solid green except for the link light, and my Airport Extreme router reports that there is nothing connected on that port. Do I require a crossover cable?

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1

You shouldn't need a crossover if you're connected to the WAN port on the Airport Extreme.

DrXenon

Kingston, ON

Hmm. I have a regular known-good non-cross cable connected between WAN port and modem. I also tried the cable hat came with the modem. Wonder what the problem could be?

bt

canada
reply to DrXenon

Check the cable by connecting direct to a computer from the modem?

I once got a modem with a bad LAN port as well, though that was over 10 years ago and (obviously) a different model.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to DrXenon

Most recent gear (especially the routers, and yours qualifies, AFAIK) would have autosensing ports and should be OK no matter what working cable you choose.

Follow BT's advice, try an alternate cable too, and if you can, even test with an alternate computer to be triple sure.

Be sure that any computers are set to get their IP(s) by DHCP during the direct tests.

If no better during all of that, the modem would remain the prime suspect.

DrXenon

Kingston, ON

1 edit
reply to bt

The cable I am using is known-good, I used it to make the above posts through my DSL connection.

Would the technician have plugged in a laptop to the modem as a PICO test? I will try that when I get home.

In principle, though, all I should have to do is connect the modem to the WAN port of the router and switch to DHCP, correct?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23

said by DrXenon:

In principle, though, all I should have to do is connect the modem to the WAN port of the router and switch to DHCP, correct?

Correct. If you're not getting link to the router, best test is go direct from modem to computer and ensure that is working before changing the network setup.

DrXenon

Kingston, ON
reply to DrXenon

The ethernet port on the modem seems to be broken. I cannot connect with my laptop. I will see about returning it.

DrXenon

Kingston, ON
reply to DrXenon

.. and the one that arrived from Start today led to a flawless victory. Had it in two days, too.

bt

canada
reply to DrXenon

Good to hear!

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
reply to DrXenon

"Flawless victory" - love it. Anyone else have a Mortal Kombat flashback?