All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
Simple Guy
join:2012-05-16

Simple Guy to lordpuffer

to lordpuffer

Re: [Snow] Removing malware Troj/Java-FR in OS X

The screen shots and information posted are for the Windows version of Sophos. The interface for the Mac is entirely different. Not alike at all. Windows has all those choices the Mac version does not. Most of the stuff shown in your screen shot doesn't even exist on the Mac version such as the options when you right click on the tray icon or there is no choices for checking any hidden files anywhere through the sophos Mac version.

I did everything correctly with the Mac scan. Everything. The special scan detected the threat. The information with the special scan said the threat should now be eliminated and that can be confirmed checking the checking the quarantine manager which would show the threat gone. But it is not gone. It is still there.

There are no options in the Mac Sophos to remove or select or deselect anything. You first at step one of the whole procedure run a full scan of all drives and it detects the threat. It shows the threat in the quarantine manager. You then tell it to clean up the threat which is your only option at that point. It tries. It fails. It tells you it fails. It says you must manually remove it. That is your only option. It tells you how to set up and run a special scan. I successfully did that. It detects the threat and says the threat should not be eliminated from the quarantine manager. It's not.

I know where the file is. It is in a hidden file. I know the name of the file.

At this point all I need to know is (please entirely forget about Sophos at this point) is how to use my Mac, (finder I presume) to navigate to where I can search or see hidden files. By doing that I can go to the location of the file and manually delete it.

Thank you.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

said by Simple Guy:

At this point all I need to know is (please entirely forget about Sophos at this point) is how to use my Mac, (finder I presume) to navigate to where I can search or see hidden files. By doing that I can go to the location of the file and manually delete it.

If you have the full path in /folder/folder/folder form, then from any Finder window, go to the "Go" menu at the top of the screen and select "Go To folder". Put in the path (without the filename) and it'll take you to that folder even if it's hidden.

In general, Finder only hides files/folders that begin with a ".", but there are some special folders that are also hidden, such as /Users/you/Library and all of the system folders (/etc, /private, /var and so on).