join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

1 edit

RR Conductor

Premium Member

[IPv6] How do I configure for IPv6?

I have a Asus RT-N66U, what would I set the IPv6 to?

I have-

Native
Native with DHCP
Tunnel 6to4
Tunnel 6in4
Tunnel 6rd

I have successfully ran a 6in4 Tunnel to Hurricane.net, so IPv6 does work on it. I am running a Zoom 5341J Modem.

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

whfsdude

Premium Member

said by RR Conductor:

Native with DHCP

Native with DHCP is what you want. However, you will need DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation. Which it is unclear to me if the router supports it. I can't find documentation either way so I guess you'll just have to set it to "Native with DHCP" and see if IPv6 pops up.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to RR Conductor

to RR Conductor
Did I help you in the past with your router or was that someone else with the same model?

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

RR Conductor

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

Did I help you in the past with your router or was that someone else with the same model?

Nope, it was me.
RR Conductor

RR Conductor to whfsdude

Premium Member

to whfsdude
said by whfsdude:

said by RR Conductor:

Native with DHCP

Native with DHCP is what you want. However, you will need DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation. Which it is unclear to me if the router supports it. I can't find documentation either way so I guess you'll just have to set it to "Native with DHCP" and see if IPv6 pops up.

I tried that and get this in a test-

Your IPv4 address on the public Internet appears to be 67.180.42.98

Your IPv6 address on the public Internet appears to be 2001:0:4137:9e76:1056:24f9:bc4b:d59d
Your IPv6 service appears to be: Teredo

The World IPv6 Launch day is June 6th, 2012. Good news! Your current browser, on this computer and at this location, are expected to keep working after the Launch. [more info]

You appear to be able to browse the IPv4 Internet only. You will not be able to reach IPv6-only sites.

Your IPv6 connection appears to be using Teredo, a type of IPv4/IPv6 gateway; currently it connects only to direct IP's. Your browser will not be able to go to IPv6 sites by name. This means the current configuration is not useful for browsing IPv6 web sites. [more info]

Your DNS server (possibly run by your ISP) appears to have IPv6 Internet access.
Your readiness scores
10/10 for your IPv4 stability and readiness, when publishers offer both IPv4 and IPv6
0/10 for your IPv6 stability and readiness, when publishers are forced to go IPv6 only

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

whfsdude to RR Conductor

Premium Member

to RR Conductor
Which either means one of two things:

1. Your router isn't supporting DHCPv6-PD and won't work on Comcast's (or many other's) IPv6 implementations.

or

2. Comcast has yet to roll out IPv6 DHCPv6-PD in your area.

Since you posted your IPv4, maybe one of the Comcast folks could check your CMTS to see if it's deployed yet for you.

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

1 recommendation

RR Conductor

Premium Member

Well, I know Asus is set to release new firmware for the RT-N66U in June, all I know about it is that it is supposed to fix the NVRAM issue, but I haven't heard anything on it about IPv6. That would be great it somebody could check on my CMTS for me!

NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

2 recommendations

NetDog

Premium Member

said by RR Conductor:

Well, I know Asus is set to release new firmware for the RT-N66U in June, all I know about it is that it is supposed to fix the NVRAM issue, but I haven't heard anything on it about IPv6. That would be great it somebody could check on my CMTS for me!

Looks like Tomoto RAF supports DHCPv6 even if ASUS doesnt.

»tomatousb.org/forum/t-29 ··· -support

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

1 edit

1 recommendation

RR Conductor

Premium Member

said by NetDog:

said by RR Conductor:

Looks like Tomoto RAF supports DHCPv6 even if ASUS doesnt.

»tomatousb.org/forum/t-29 ··· -support

That's awesome, thanks NetDog! Oh, thanks again for checking on my CMTS, I appreciate it a lot.

Edit-In case you guys were wondering, our CMTS (Ukiah, CA) is IPv6 enabled.
RR Conductor

RR Conductor

Premium Member

Well, I got Comcast's 6to4 to work anyway-

Test with IPv4 DNS record
ok (0.035s) using ipv4
Test with IPv6 DNS record
ok (0.035s) using ipv6 6to4
Test with Dual Stack DNS record
ok (0.029s) using ipv4
Test for Dual Stack DNS and large packet
ok (0.052s) using ipv4