share rss forum feed

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19

[Philly] Affordable Housing

I know nothing about the greater Philly area. I'm looking for a home to rent near Malvern or King of Prussia. I need 3 BR minimum, but I don't want to go broke, either. If someone can point me to some good resources, I would appreciate.

I would also appreciate some good places to look at that aren't riddled with crime as well.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

KoolMoe
Aw Man
Premium
join:2001-02-14
Annapolis, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
I don't know that area well.
Those areas are where you'll be working (or whatever)?
Or are you going to be in Philly?
If in Philly, some very affordable areas in Jersey not too far away (i.e Palmyra, Maple Shade)
--
Don't Lie - Be Kind - Realize your Potential

fryer

join:2003-11-13
Chadds Ford, PA
kudos:2
reply to Archivis
Do you need good schools? house? Condo?

Have you checked the Chesterbrook area?

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
I no longer have an "immediate" need to move to the area, but my career path is going to end up having me land in that area, so I would like to be familiar with it. I've never heard of Chesterbrook before.

I'd like to pull my kids out of school and cyber school/home school them. They don't make condos that can house five people that I'm aware of.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

fryer

Chadds Ford, PA
reply to Archivis
Do you need to commute to philly? or where to? are you looking for more rural or suburban? I know they (malvern and kofp) look close on a map, but the commute between them can be a bitch, it's very congested.

if you look out a little west of malvern, Downingtown/Exton have been built up quite a bit the past couple of years. Downingtown also has good schools if you decide to not go the cyber/home school route.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
The jobs I'd be looking at would be near King of Prussia and Malvern.

fryer

Chadds Ford, PA

1 recommendation

reply to Archivis
Chesterbrook is between the two. If you wind up in malvern I would say to open your search to downingtown/exton and west chester. All good areas with good schools (while it may not be important for you, it helps keep your property value). None of these areas are really known for any significant crime.

When you look at malvern, paoli, wayne and devon, you pay for the "main line", which is a status thing.

You probably don't want to go the norristown route, while there are nice areas, there's probably more areas that you don't want to live.

If you took Paoli as a center and drew a circle with a radius of 2-3 miles, you probably can't go wrong. Pick a few towns, check out www.prufoxroach.com (better than realtor.com for the area) and see what comes up that you like. If you are curious about a town, shoot me an IM, i'd be glad to give you an opinion on it.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
That's fantastic. Thank you very much. I'm in a situation here at work where we could be laid off. It's not going to be tomorrow, but I need to do my research on the area as that is where the opportunities for my career path are and if I have an opportunity come up, it would be nice to have a head start on where to look in the area.
--

qworster

join:2001-11-25
Bryn Mawr, PA

1 edit
reply to Archivis
I'd look in Wayne. Lots of reasonable rentals there lately on Craigslist and there's very good schools there also.