uniqs
share rss forum feed

ctggzg
Premium
join:2005-02-11
USA
kudos:2

[Spam] Spam explosion since Saturday 5/26

I have one Gmail address that I use for relatively trustworthy companies that probably won't spam me or sell my address. That account typically has 30 - 50 messages in the Gmail spam folder, which goes back 30 days.

I have a second "spam magnet" address that I give when I suspect I'll get added to a mailing list (and don't care). That one normally has 250 - 350 spam messages over 30 days. But since Saturday 5/26 it's exploded with 50 - 80 new spam messages each day. They're mostly duplicates of the same few ads (online college, Costco gift card, ClassesUSA, Kohl's gift card survey, DeVry).

Has anyone else seen a marked increase in the last few days?

MGD
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-31
kudos:9
I reviewed the recent spam folder contents on multiple email accounts. I don't see any increase in volume. In my case, the Russian Pill mill / Canadian pharmacy spam is still #1.

Are these in your inbox or going directly to your spam folder in Gmail webmail, or, are you using a mail client ?. Are they exact duplicates, same time stamps, which might indicate a filter/rule issue with a mail client?.

MGD

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
reply to ctggzg
I oversee several domains on Gmail. It is very rare that their filters miss something and that it appears in the inboxes. I have not seen greater volume in the junk folders. It's more likely it was acquired by someone pushing a higher volume (or the jagoffs who already have it pumped up the volume).
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

fphall
The Guardian
Premium
join:2003-11-01
Bristol, CT
reply to ctggzg
I have seen a significant increase on one of my addresses. Went from 4 or 5 a day to over 30 per day. Most of them are of the “enlarge your package” type of spam.

ctggzg
Premium
join:2005-02-11
USA
reply to ctggzg
They're all in the spam folder, but I occasionally go through the junk to remove the false-positives, of which there are 2 or 3 per month. Maybe someone went out and got a real job, because it the flood stopped since 5/31.

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO
Same thing happened on Yahoo mail - same period of time.

Now back to mostly Portuguese spam