how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

whitj_98

join:2012-05-29
West Union, SC

AT&T Trying to kill Network growth in South Carolina

I live in Oconee county, one of two counties in SC that the local government is trying to install a county wide fiber network. This is great for us because if you don't live 2 feet from the center of town you're screwed. I say 'trying' because AT&T is running a Bill (H3508) through the state house to prevent the local government from restricting their (AT&T) right to free enterprise. I understand the purity of that line of thought. I wouldn't want anyone effecting my profits. But in AT&T's case it's B.S. Our county is spending over $10 million for the fiber project and the first phase of it is complete. It would have been a huge waste of tax money if it passes. It's not just state tax money , also federal. If passed, AT&T will not practice their free enterprise rights by expanding the DSL/U-verse network in our county. They will just keep us in the internet dark ages like they have for the past 10 years. When the free enterprise system fails to work someone has to step in. I say to AT&T, "you have to spend money to make money, expand or die." Too bad for them, they have chosen the latter. I hope they burn in economic hell.
Ok enough with the rant. If you are in the same situation with your ISP, it doesn't have to be AT&T, show some love or hate. Reply.
Here is a link to the fiber project for the county. F.O.C.U.S (Fiber Optics Creating Unified Solutions)

w4ncr

join:2000-10-27
Do not worrying this company has lobbyists and they are at working on their next campaign thats politicians to pass bills make sure they are the only players out there if you want better Internet find private investors ! This company and the cable companies will always be slower in new technology get out there Welcome to the U.S. Behing the times in broadband .

MrHappy316
Wish I had my tank
Premium
join:2003-01-02
Monterey, CA
reply to whitj_98
Thanks for the link, time to get emailing and god i hate saying it, physical writing with real envelopes and registered receipt.

DaveO

join:2001-09-05
Easley, SC
reply to whitj_98
I'd love to see a county-wide fiber network next door here in Pickens County. That's the only way I see the USA getting Internet service that's competitive with other developed nations.

This happens every time there is a government-funded fiber project. The cable and DSL ISPs lobby for laws to try to kill it.

treyatl2006

join:2012-01-26
Atlanta, GA
reply to whitj_98
At&t lobbied a similar bill in GA called the SB 313. Thankfully alot of media attention was able to get the effort killed. Atleast for the time being..

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to whitj_98
said by whitj_98:

Ok enough with the rant. If you are in the same situation with your ISP, it doesn't have to be AT&T, show some love or hate.

I already did. I fired AT&T a year ago. Although I am not, currently, in one of the new company's fiber areas, they are deploying fiber in AT&T areas.

I have Sonic.net, LLC "Fusion". I believe my region is 17th on the list of areas they will build fiber in.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

whitj_98

join:2012-05-29
West Union, SC
reply to whitj_98
Our county only has to front half of the money for the project the other half is state money given to by the fed. I just wish if AT&T wins this battle that the state amends the bill to require them to spend the same amount to upgrade the rest of the county. Plus require it by a certain date, that is in the next year or two. Not a date that my grandchildren would be born on.
The thing that really sucks is I can get DSL if it wasn't capped. They have installed U-Verse just 1/4 mile down the road. Looks like they are not going to expand that anytime soon. Hell, I live 2 mins from work and they have like a 1Gbps fiber connection to HQ. Damnit!

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by whitj_98:

Our county only has to front half of the money for the project the other half is state money given to by the fed. I just wish if AT&T wins this battle that the state amends the bill to require them to spend the same amount to upgrade the rest of the county.

If AT&T would spend half the money they are spending on the lawyers, they could probably deploy enough U-verse to keep the natives from becoming "restless"!
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum