Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

[Parts Check] Win 7 License Post upgrade

I'd like to get some folks' opinion on this I just gutted my PC a few days ago and replaced it with a P8Z77-V, an i7-3770 and 16GB of RAM...

I've been using the updated machine for two days and I still haven't gotten a "your copy of Windows isn't genuine message" I'm still using the same install I've was using on my P5Q/Q6700 install...

I was going to do a fresh install of Windows, but my CD-Drive had a ribbon connector, and Win7 won't install from my USB DVD drive, which only leaves me the option of pillaging one of my Wife's SATA DVD-ROMs and well I'm a little too lazy for that right now.

I have a new valid Win 7 disk (which I'm considering returning or selling) so I'd like to know, should I re-install once I get around to getting a working optical drive? If so why?

Let me know what you think...
--
Everything in moderation... Including Moderation --Oscar Wilde

Shootist
Premium
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA
kudos:3

1 recommendation

Could be your new hardware is close to your old hardware was and as yet hasn't triggered the Activation process. Whether it will in the future or not is up in the air.

When I do something like this I use a Imaging program that has a feature to reimage to dissimilar hardware. Like Acronis TI with Plus Pack and use the Universal restore feature.

But I wouldn't worry about it. If you like open Control Panel then System and check the Win activation. If it says Windows is activated I'd stop worrying about it.
--
Shooter Ready--Stand By BEEP ********

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by Shootist:

But I wouldn't worry about it. If you like open Control Panel then System and check the Win activation. If it says Windows is activated I'd stop worrying about it.

OK I just did that and It said Windows is scheduled to activate in three days. Turns out I'm not good after all... seeing as my old Windows is an OEM and and I'm planning on giving/selling the hardware to a friend, if I activate the new license on my i7/P8 board... will the old license remain valid for the P5/Q6700 system?
--

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
reply to El Quintron

Make a USB install disk

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to El Quintron

If its an OEM install then "legaly" you can't install it on new hardware and need to buy another install media.

(btw this is why I buy full retail (costs more but never any legal issues)

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by DarkLogix:

If its an OEM install then "legaly" you can't install it on new hardware and need to buy another install media.

I have another OEM disk waiting to install my new hardware... I just want to make my old OEM disk is still going to stay valid on my old hardware...
--

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to DarkLogix

said by DarkLogix:

Make a USB install disk

I know how to do this for Linux with Unetbootin... is there a quick and easy way to do it with Windows ?
--

flashcore

join:2007-01-23
united state

said by El Quintron:

I know how to do this for Linux with Unetbootin... is there a quick and easy way to do it with Windows ?

MS has a tool for it on there site, take a look here »www.microsoftstore.com/store/mss···_dwnTool

The only thing is it uses an ISO so you have to convert the DVD into an ISO before using the tool.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by flashcore:

MS has a tool for it on there site, take a look here »www.microsoftstore.com/store/mss···_dwnTool

The only thing is it uses an ISO so you have to convert the DVD into an ISO before using the tool.

OK that's no big deal, for now I'm just going to update the License number but if I need to re-install before I get a SATA optical drive I'll go that route
--

Shootist
Premium
Decatur, GA
reply to El Quintron

said by El Quintron:

said by DarkLogix:

I have another OEM disk waiting to install my new hardware... I just want to make my old OEM disk is still going to stay valid on my old hardware...

Yes if the OLD Hardware is the same the license will be good for however long it is installed on that old hardware.

You need to Reinstall using the NEW OEM disc you have on the NEW hardware.
--

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by Shootist:

So far everything is working fine... I have the option to enter a new license key in the control panel... will that carry me through?
--

Shootist
Premium
Decatur, GA

said by El Quintron:

said by Shootist:

So far everything is working fine... I have the option to enter a new license key in the control panel... will that carry me through?

It very well might. I have never done that. But then you have to worry about all the software that is installed. If you use that same install on both computers, even though you change the license key for the OS on the new PC, the other software will still be under the same license on both.
--

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by Shootist:

It very well might. I have never done that. But then you have to worry about all the software that is installed. If you use that same install on both computers, even though you change the license key for the OS on the new PC, the other software will still be under the same license on both.

I'm using the same hard drives for this computer the only parts I'm planning on giving away or selling are the Motherboard, CPU, RAM and DVD drive... other than that I don't have any other licensed software attached to the old CPU...
--

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

Then it sounds like your good.

BTW I personally prefer to install via flash drive than DVD drive, depending on the flash drive it might be faster at loading the files and all.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by DarkLogix:

BTW I personally prefer to install via flash drive than DVD drive, depending on the flash drive it might be faster at loading the files and all.

I hear you there, I mostly do so that I don't waste a CD/DVD everytime I was to test drive a different version of Linux (which is a couple times a month)
--