spc
Search similar:

uniqs
shadowfax182
join:2008-01-18
Lehigh Acres, FL

shadowfax182

Voip/Cable Modem Location

Sorry if this is not the right forum, I didn't see any regarding Comcast Voip.

Anyways, I recently got Comcast triple play installed and they gave me an RCA Voip/Cable Mode with 2 phone jacks. Problem is my modem sits on top of my pc along with a router and possibly a cable card tuner soon so when anyone in the house receives or makes calls they need tto run in and out of my room, which can be quite annoying after a while. Is there any way to around this or a way resolve this issue?

Any help would be much appreciated!

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 edit

NetFixer

Premium Member

I can think of two solutions.

1. Use a cordless phone system that can support multiple phones that communicate with a single base station (such as a DECT system), and put the base station in your room near the telephony modem.

2. If you have existing telephone wiring in your home, and you don't have traditional telephone service from the local telephone company, you can disconnect your in-house telephone wiring from the telephone network, and connect your telephony modem directly to the in-house telephone wiring.

I actually do both things in my residence with my Vonage service, and it works quite well.

flwpwr
@comcast.net

flwpwr to shadowfax182

Anon

to shadowfax182
2 ways

Buy a wireless phone system and put base station in the room with VOIP modem and charging stations wherever you want.

2 have a phone outlet installed from your room to the NID, if one is already there then it just needs to be fed and local telco provider properly disconnected, otherwise have one installed and fed the house wiring phone system.
shadowfax182
Lehigh Acres, FL

shadowfax182 to NetFixer

to NetFixer
Thank for your suggestions but, could you clarify on number 2. I have traditional phone wiring in the house I believe. You're saying if I get a telephone cable, hook one end up to the modem and the other to the jack, all jacks in the house will be able to use the VOIP modem?

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 edit

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by shadowfax182:

Thank for your suggestions but, could you clarify on number 2. I have traditional phone wiring in the house I believe. You're saying if I get a telephone cable, hook one end up to the modem and the other to the jack, all jacks in the house will be able to use the VOIP modem?

With one very big caveat: make sure that your in-house wiring has been disconnected from the telephone network. There is 48vdc and dialtone on the telephone network, and the telephony modem also supplies 48vdc and dialtone. If you connect the two sources of 48vdc and dialtone to each other, at best it won't work, but you could also fry the telephony modem's telco interface.

I am really surprised that the Comcast installer did not do this for you. It should have been part of the CDV installation.

You can get an inexpensive telephone line tester at Lowes, Home Depot, and many electronic and hardware stores. This is usually a small box with a couple of LED indicators on it, and it will have a pigtail lead with an RJ12 telephone connector. Plug that connector into each telephone jack in your house, and if the LEDs do not light, it should be safe to connect the telephony modem to your in-house telephone wiring. If either of the LEDs illuminate, or if a telephone plugged into a jack has a dialtone, then you need to disconnect your in-house wiring from the telco network. It is not difficult to do, but it would probably be safer if you have a Comcast installer or a licensed electrician (who is familiar with telephone wiring) do it for you.

Here is a picture of the kind of inexpensive simple tester I am talking about:

This site has a FAQ that you may want to read if you want to try doing it yourself: »VoIP: Voice over IP »Can my VoIP service be used with my existing home wiring?

flwpwr
@comcast.net

flwpwr to shadowfax182

Anon

to shadowfax182
said by shadowfax182:

2 steps step one disconnect previous telco's feed [this is important otherwise the modem will have all light flash and NO dial tone] post a picture and someone here can probably explain.

step 2 feed outlet, keep in mind this depends on how the house was set up. If all outlets were tied in at nid they will all get dial tone, if you happne to be at the office line and it was not tied in to the other outlets, you'll get nothing. It all depends on how house was previously set up.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to shadowfax182

Premium Member

to shadowfax182
I would call back into comcast and make them get their asses back out and install the dam thing the way it should have been installed. Its not a acceptable install to just have it in the bedroom. Some installers are just plain lazy.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by rody_44:

I would call back into comcast and make them get their asses back out and install the dam thing the way it should have been installed. Its not a acceptable install to just have it in the bedroom. Some installers are just plain lazy.

Or perhaps the installer asked if in-house telephone wiring integration was wanted, and the person who was home at the time said no?

I have done many SOHO, SMB, and enterprise grade installations, and sometimes the customer only wants the CPE placed in a certain location and tested, and they prefer to do the rest themselves.

It appears the the OP may now be interested in using the in-house telephone wiring, but perhaps the OP was not the person who was at home when the installation was done. I also placed blame on the Comcast installer in a previous post, but thinking back now on my own experiences, there have been a number of installations that I have done where I did not feel comfortable with just installing the CPE and leaving, but "the customer is always right".
shadowfax182
Lehigh Acres, FL

1 edit

shadowfax182

Thanks, I will call them back.

Update: I called Comcast and made an appointment for this Sunday regarding my issue. They didn't really see a problem at first because my phone was working, but after several transfers I finally got someone who said they understood but, I'm not so sure though. Hopefully they understood me and all goes well bu, I'm not holding my breath.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer
Its possible, but its also possible he got a installer like i did. My installer claimed not to know anything about inside wiring and installed the emta in the basement and left. In either case, in this area comcast is always willing to send a second guy out in this area at no charge. Most cases it only takes a extra 5 or 10 minutes to hook it up to be used.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2

MVM

It is an easy process for Comcast to switch your interior phone line so that they work through your Comcast eMTA.

It is true that not all installers are knowledgeable about doing this.

Comcast should not charge you for this visit.

Conversely, I live in an apartment, and simply use a 3 hand-set cordless phone system with the base plugged in to my eMTA...but then I only really wanted/needed 3 handsets so there was no point converting interior wiring.
shadowfax182
Lehigh Acres, FL

shadowfax182

Comcast just came today unannounced and fixeed my issue within 5-10 minutes free of charge.he installer/technician was very polite and knowledgeable and I'm now able to use any phoe jack in the house.

I still have an appointment Sunday with them though to fix my VOIP and install a cable m-card for my cable card tuner. Thanks everyone for the help and special to the Cmcast technician.

trythisfirst
@comcast.net

trythisfirst to PeteC2

Anon

to PeteC2
said by PeteC2:

Conversely, I live in an apartment,

In this case we usually refuse to use inside wiring. Apartments are usually tied into the local phone company differently. If it is wired more like a house and can be tied into it's up to the installer here, but we may refuse to tie in apartment wiring in my area.