uniqs
travelguy
join:1999-09-03
Bismarck, ND
Asus RT-AC68
Ubiquiti NSM5

travelguy

[Bill] Two Accounts - One Address?

Hypothetical question: Tenant is renting a room in someones house. Tenant wishes to have a separate HSI account from homeowner. Same cable from the pole, same coax throughout the house. Clearly it's technically no problem. Will Comcast do this, or do they limit one account per single family address?

pclover
join:2008-08-02
Santa Cruz, CA

pclover

Pretty sure they will allow you to do this.

It's possible as the modem isn't tied to the cable line.

It's actually better in the long run as if they do illegal activates with there connection they will be held reasonable not you. Also, they wont congestion your home connection.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG to travelguy

Premium Member

to travelguy
said by travelguy:

Hypothetical question: Tenant is renting a room in someones house. Tenant wishes to have a separate HSI account from homeowner. Same cable from the pole, same coax throughout the house. Clearly it's technically no problem. Will Comcast do this, or do they limit one account per single family address?

Some areas are one address, one modem. Best to call in about this and check your local area franchise's policy.
EG

EG to pclover

Premium Member

to pclover
said by pclover:

Also, they wont congestion your home connection.

It's all the same shared bandwidth on the local segment anyway.
travelguy
Bismarck, ND
Asus RT-AC68
Ubiquiti NSM5

travelguy to EG

to EG
said by EG:

Some areas are one address, one modem. Best to call in about this and check your local area franchise's policy.

It's a subtle problem. I know it used to be somewhat common to order a second modem on the same account to get more bandwidth before DOCSIS 2 or 3. This would be a totally isolated account for billing purposes. I guess I'll have to call Comcast and see what they say.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

said by travelguy:

I know it used to be somewhat common to order a second modem on the same account to get more bandwidth before DOCSIS 2 or 3.

But you don't get more "bandwidth" / available capacity by having another drop line from the tap. It's all shared bandwidth on the local node / segment anyway.
travelguy
Bismarck, ND
Asus RT-AC68
Ubiquiti NSM5

travelguy

said by EG:

But you don't get more "bandwidth" / available capacity by having another drop line from the tap. It's all shared bandwidth on the local node / segment anyway.

Agreed! I'm just saying that more bandwidth is not what I'm looking for in this situation. I just want an independent connection from the main house for billing purposes.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

Got ya.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to travelguy

Premium Member

to travelguy
just call the tennent's room #101, unit A, the presidential suite or something similar.
The only dangers are if the city/local jurstiction hasrestrictions on renting AND learns of it AND decides to pursue it (very unlikely unless you have a grumpy neighbor who is family with the mayor, etc.)
They just need something to delinate the addresses.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium Member
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

baineschile to travelguy

Premium Member

to travelguy
No, they wont let you do this. Here is why:

Lets say you have two accounts running off of one cable line. If you pay your bill, and the roomate does not, the roomates service gets shut off. If it gets bad enough, they come cut the line, effectivly cutting off your service.

The exception to this, is if there is someone who runs a business at home, and gets business service, but they look closer at that before they go cut them.

I would just split the bill. Cheaper, and less complicated.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

said by baineschile:

Lets say you have two accounts running off of one cable line. If you pay your bill, and the roomate does not, the roomates service gets shut off. If it gets bad enough, they come cut the line, effectivly cutting off your service.

That used to be a reason, but they can just suspend his modem and any digital boxes, sure he'll still beable to see the local clear QAM's, but few would have a second account for that.

Most areas the plant can spare/add a tap for a second line if needed, IF it's a problem then for the time being* they could use a splitter.
*that plant will probably need the expansion soon anyway.
said by baineschile:

I would just split the bill. Cheaper, and less complicated.

But it doesn't seperate you legally (might be important, depending on what the tennant does online ) and could leave the homeower responsible for extras on the account (50 pay per views, and assorted Comcast offered HSI services, plus some overseas calls on the Voice account could add up fast.
travelguy
Bismarck, ND
Asus RT-AC68
Ubiquiti NSM5

travelguy

said by tshirt:

But it doesn't separate you legally (might be important, depending on what the tenant does online ) and could leave the homeower responsible for extras on the account (50 pay per views, and assorted Comcast offered HSI services, plus some overseas calls on the Voice account could add up fast.

Exactly, although in my case the reverse problem. Another party will be in the main part of the house and I don't want to have any tie to them. I'm reasonably sure I will pay my bill.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Well it avoids the renter being blamed for stuff he didn't do too.