spc
Search similar:

uniqs
isamu99
join:2004-03-10
Los Angeles, CA

isamu99

Youtube throttled by TWC?

Before all my youtube videos used to load VERY fast but lately I am having to wait for videos, even SHORT ones, to buffer! Sometimes short videos don't even buffer unless you start playing the video. If you wait until it buffers to the end, you'll end up waiting an eternity!!

Is TWC throttling youtube vids? Because that is not cool!

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

TWC isn't throttling... possibly the path between TWC and YouTube is congested, but that's a YouTube issue. YouTube seems to have this sort of problem alot with the bigger providers, look at threads from Comcast, Charter, Cox, and Verizon.

You might be able to force a different path by changing DNS servers.

ds5v50
join:2003-01-22
Fremont, OH

1 recommendation

ds5v50

I too have been having issues with youtube, But I believe it was you that has said in the past.. kiddies are home from school things are getting congested so it seems to fit the bill.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

2 edits

Anonymous_ to isamu99

Premium Member

to isamu99
No it's a figment of your imagination
I can pull 20 to 30mbps for a 1080p HD video any time of the day

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to isamu99

Premium Member

to isamu99
I have this problem at work. It's not just TWC.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member

Anonymous_

Premium Member

I do not know but it works good still getting 23-30mbps on 1080p video
comp
Premium Member
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA

comp to isamu99

Premium Member

to isamu99
This has been a constant issue for all ISP's and it always seems to come back to a bandwidth issue for You Tube

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA

djdanska to isamu99

Premium Member

to isamu99
It's been a problem on all of my internet providers for like 2+ years. It will stream at like 12k per sec but i can use a firefox tool and download a 1080p video in 30 seconds. makes no freaking sense. Only connection i have never had any issue is my t-mobile HSPA+ connection. It flys on there 24/7. sad when my phone downloads youtube faster than my docsis 3.0 cable connection.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to comp

Premium Member

to comp
said by comp:

This has been a constant issue for all ISP's and it always seems to come back to a bandwidth issue for You Tube

Yep. If I want HD, I will just download the videos first!
91862239 (banned)
join:2011-10-15
Brownsville, TX

91862239 (banned) to isamu99

to isamu99
i read somewhere that this problems caused when people block something called google analytics if you unblock that the videos load real fast

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612

MVM

That might be the case in some areas. I don't seem to be able to support that claim though since I myself block Google Analytics and the videos load up quickly.
war59312
join:2001-03-02
Elgin, SC

war59312 to isamu99

to isamu99
The issue for me at least with youtube is that the video is always using 1 thread.

If I download the video using 4 threads (via DownloadThemAll) I almost always max my download at around 3.75MB/s.

Of course I'd rather just stream it. Thankfully though I have not had to do this much these days.

Though some times even with 10 threads I can't get more than 500KB/s on youtube. Doubt it's TWC fault.
isamu99
join:2004-03-10
Los Angeles, CA

isamu99

Very interesting. I guess it's on youtube's end then
Vincenttri
join:2006-06-05
South El Monte, CA

Vincenttri to isamu99

to isamu99
said by isamu99:

Before all my youtube videos used to load VERY fast but lately I am having to wait for videos, even SHORT ones, to buffer! Sometimes short videos don't even buffer unless you start playing the video. If you wait until it buffers to the end, you'll end up waiting an eternity!!

Is TWC throttling youtube vids? Because that is not cool!

I had the same suspicion that something was wrong with my internet, but it turns out that Ad-block on the Chrome browser was causing the problem on my end with YouTube slow playback.

Basically as other people have mentioned - the YouTube servers need to run ads and collect information while you're watching. If they're allowed to do this - everything runs smoothly. Not a single hiccup, and I've been watching 720P videos flawlessly.

You'll notice the lag gets greater on more popular videos because they have ads embedded into them. Just in case you're wondering why you can watch certain low view YouTube videos just fine in 720P or greater, but the "popular" ones seem to lag. I know the explanation sounds unbelievable and slightly paranoid, but it is what it is.
91862239 (banned)
join:2011-10-15
Brownsville, TX

91862239 (banned)

there is a way to block/remove the ads inbedded in the videos also i heard if you change dns to faster ones the videos load real fast specialy if you use google dns with firefox

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to isamu99

Premium Member

to isamu99
Youtube seems to have decided to stop buffering while paused, or only buffer a certain amount while paused.

Really quite annoying when I take my laptop somewhere and the wifi is slow.

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

said by sivran:

Youtube seems to have decided to stop buffering while paused, or only buffer a certain amount while paused.

Really quite annoying when I take my laptop somewhere and the wifi is slow.

There are some Greasemonkey scripts that remove that annoying feature, and you also have the option to download and watch them too. The YouTube player is the reason why videos stop loading if they are paused after a certain point. For those with VERY slow connections such as I who enjoy watching 1080p/Original content, this means waiting a few hours before pressing play

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

"For those with VERY slow connections such as I who enjoy watching 1080p/Original content, this means waiting a few hours before pressing play "

Ugh.
Good luck with that!

Hob

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

1 edit

Smith6612

MVM

Normal download times for me. 8 hour video, semi-busy, 720p. Not YouTube's fault.
said by hobgoblin:

"For those with VERY slow connections such as I who enjoy watching 1080p/Original content, this means waiting a few hours before pressing play "

Ugh.
Good luck with that!

Hob

I know, it sucks. I'm lucky if a 3 hour video with a lot of activity in 1080p/Original from YouTube finishes overnight. If there's any sort of traffic coming into my connection I can expect it hitting a day to download which is pretty normal. Outgoing traffic doesn't bother the download though, have QoS set up.

I use a Greasemonkey script that disables the pausing on the buffering if the video is not playing, and one that also offers up download links. Have to do it that way to get decent looking videos.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

"I know, it sucks. I'm lucky if a 3 hour video with a lot of activity in 1080p/Original from YouTube finishes overnight. If there's any sort of traffic coming into my connection I can expect it hitting a day to download which is pretty normal. Outgoing traffic doesn't bother the download though, have QoS set up.

I use a Greasemonkey script that disables the pausing on the buffering if the video is not playing, and one that also offers up download links. Have to do it that way to get decent looking videos.'

And this is what it takes to cut the cord?
Outstanding.

Hob

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

said by hobgoblin:

And this is what it takes to cut the cord?
Outstanding.

Hob

Much of what I used to watch on TV isn't aired anymore, so it never gets turned on by me anymore. What I get on my computer is what I get (most Bills games, some Sabres games). Others here use TV service to watch re-runs. I've uploaded an attachment above/last page of what the norm is here when I'm not the only one awake. So, I enjoy the fresh content, it just takes a while to get unless I'm at work where 125MB/s (that's Megabytes) can be achieved, server permitting without grinding anything to a halt.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

I am a little confused.
You said "What I get on my computer is what I get (most Bills games, some Sabres games)."
So you are happy watching an illegal feed of sporting events rather than subscribing to a TV service that provides it.
You are happy watching poor quality video feeds, rather than kicking back on the couch in front of Instant or DVR'd sporting events?
I cant see why anyone would embrace that scenario.

Hob

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

said by hobgoblin:

I am a little confused.
You said "What I get on my computer is what I get (most Bills games, some Sabres games)."
So you are happy watching an illegal feed of sporting events rather than subscribing to a TV service that provides it.
You are happy watching poor quality video feeds, rather than kicking back on the couch in front of Instant or DVR'd sporting events?
I cant see why anyone would embrace that scenario.

Hob

I use a TV tuner in the PC so what comes in would be 1080i, so nothing illegal about it (no DBS support, though). Most Bills games air on there. One or two Sabres games, sometimes. I refuse to use pirated streams as I would rather pay to see the game in person at that point, which is something I do for both the Sabres and the Bills. Stop by Orchard Park for a few games, stop by First Niagara for a few games.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

You are using OTA?
Very very few Sabres games, of course all Bills games other than the blackouts.

Hob

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

We have pay TV service here as I sort of stuck in as an implied mention above, but yes I use OTA myself. The stations I pick up are really the only ones I would even turn on with the current lineup of shows on network programming. My notion is, I'm paying for something I don't use (others in my home use it though which is why it's paid for), so why watch a local station, which should already be covered by advertisements and other funding I view watching OTA content anyways and then pay to receive the same transmission, only compressed further when OTA comes in strong enough with some provider advertising mixed in (eg: Time Warner, FiOS, Dish, DirecTV) on top of the station's normal ads?

If network programming had better things on it and the good shows weren't being cancelled by "ratings" I would probably sit down and enjoy a bit more TV time on the couch, and I wouldn't mind paying for it.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member

Anonymous_ to Smith6612

Premium Member

to Smith6612
Click for full size
Click for full size
said by Smith6612:

said by hobgoblin:

Ugh.
Good luck with that!

Hob

I know, it sucks. I'm lucky if a 3 hour video with a lot of activity in 1080p/Original from YouTube finishes overnight. If there's any sort of traffic coming into my connection I can expect it hitting a day to download which is pretty normal. Outgoing traffic doesn't bother the download though, have QoS set up.

I use a Greasemonkey script that disables the pausing on the buffering if the video is not playing, and one that also offers up download links. Have to do it that way to get decent looking videos.

proves what you say is not true.

A cool 3.5MB/s

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

said by Anonymous_:

proves what you say is not true.

A cool 3.5MB/s

Your connection is also significantly faster than my home connection. My daytime connection will pull down that video in no time (under two minutes if even that).

I'm waiting for some things to fall in place before some better connectivity is installed here. I won't upgrade for the time being from what I've got until then.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member

Anonymous_

Premium Member

yes but your claiming youtube is throttled by TWC which is not true.

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

YouTube does throttle as I might have mentioned on the previous page. Pop to 360p/240p and see what happens. They don't throttle on the HD videos. Their Flash player the last I checked would stop buffering videos if you paused the video once the buffer got to a certain point which is what I mentioned on the last page and needs a script to bypass unless Google did away with that. Raw downloads from YouTube are not affected by this.

I also know Time Warner doesn't throttle YouTube. I don't use them but I have many people who I help on a day to day basis who uses them and they don't do lowly things such as that.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member

1 edit

Anonymous_

Premium Member

If it's loading slow for them they need to upgrade the computer

Even a Core2 does not cut it anymore
They also load slow for me also on my Core2 system

Flash player HD video uses up a lot of CPU resources. As well as the Wireless NIC upto 40% CPU usage by it self each core.
I have 4GB of ram installed on this system

also the User needs to make sure he or she is not use HTML5.

I recommend at lest 6-8 core or higher HTML5 has no GPU offload