Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

isamu99

join:2004-03-10
Los Angeles, CA
reply to isamu99

Re: Youtube throttled by TWC?

Yeah it could be on youtube's end. I'm gonna download Greasemonkey for firefox and grab one of those scripts and see what happens. Someone mentioned raising your DNS speed or something? How exactly do I do this?

Also what are some other good scripts?

isamu99

Los Angeles, CA
reply to isamu99

OK I just changed my network settings Configuration to use Google Public DNS, as well as installed The *YousableTubeFix* Greasemonkey script for firefox, and now HD Youtube vids are buffering the way they're supposed to....FOR NOW. Let's see if this really fixed the issue. I'll keep you posted.

rasmasyean

@rcn.com

P.S. Oh also, it's weird. Sometimes YouTube has that "max buffer ahead" thing going for it. While other times it just buffers all the way to the end. I haven't figured out what determines this behavior.

rasmasyean

@rcn.com
reply to isamu99

Here’s my experience with YouTube...

Youtube seems to now only buffer a certain number of seconds ahead of playback.

When I switched from TWC 10 to 15 (turbo), it did nothing. YouTube seems to work best at certain (low traffic?) times of the day. Other times, I couldn’t buffer 1080p/780p/(even lower res) fast enough.

When I switched from TWC to RCN 50, YouTube 1080p always buffers faster than playback…ALWAYS.

In another thread some ppl have claimed that it depends a lot on “routing” and/or “caching”. I’m guessing this means that depending on the route your stream comes from, it might hit a YouTube cache where they might temporarily store popular videos to conserve bandwidth. I don’t really know what defines “popular” but perhaps all the vids I’ve tried with RCN so far are all “popular”? :P

I did notice that TWC speedtest pretty much drops down to 1.5-3 practically every day for several hours (regardless of turbo 15). So…I’m not a Flash networking expert and this is only a guess…but maybe TWC servers for some reason increase latency within their system due to load or something, and when this happens YouTube “video segments” are streamed with a lot of lag in between. So it’s equivalent of for example…you load the video, you close the page, you load the video again, and skip to the part where you left off, you close the page…rinse and repeat. So therefore, if you don’t do this fast enough, you will not be able to load the next segments of the stream faster than playback. Make sense?

isamu99

Los Angeles, CA

Good post ras.....I noticed during prime time hours last night('round 8pm PST) the vids didn't buffer all the way while paused. Just like you said, sometimes it has the "max buffer ahead" thing going for it. While other times it just buffers all the way to the end. That's exact what's going on and no one seems to be able to explain why. Switching to that new greasemonkey script and/or changing to google DNS seems to have minor improvement to the buffer performance, but it still seems to happen at random.

socalblitz
restore the constitution
Premium
join:2008-07-31
Fullerton, CA
reply to rasmasyean

said by rasmasyean :

Here’s my experience with YouTube...

Youtube seems to now only buffer a certain number of seconds ahead of playback.

YouTube changed the way they stream video a couple of months ago.

ChilledCat

join:2012-08-02
reply to isamu99

Probably why the "serious" video folks, are all
pretty much using Vimeo

Typical HD playback on Vimeo can run full-screen
at a HD quality. Luv It !!!!

isamu99

Los Angeles, CA
reply to socalblitz

Hmmm....why didn't you tell us this EARLIER???

Do you have a link that you can provide to back up this claim?

rasmasyean

@rcn.com
reply to isamu99

Well for the "max buffer ahead", either the Flash plugin has to stop downloading video or Adobe servers have to stop sending video. Whichever way it happens, Youtube prolly has some sort of load monitor to automate the decision to "stop sending everything because we need bandwidth elsewhere now".

Whatever causes buffer lag, so far I have yet to run into (1080p) buffer lag switching to RCN 50. NEVER. Even through a big playlist. But I don't think the "50 part" has anything to do with it, because it doesn't take that much bandwidth to do 1080p. And when RR measured like 20, Youtube still suffered buffer lag. That's not to say one day I'll get buffer lag for whatever reason while RR wil not. But as of recent times, I think the problem has to do with RR. I mean, I don't think the routing is THAT much different and the videos I watched prolly still come from the same general geography.

excelx

join:2004-07-06
Los Angeles, CA
reply to isamu99

I have TWC ( 10mbps d/l - 1mbps up ) youtube videos load very slow, on my pc/ipad/asus tf201. ad blocker addons isn't the problem.

I also have AT&T DSL ( 3mbps d/l - 512kbps up ) youtube videos load fast! lets me play 720-1080p without a problem at all times.

I think twc internet is the problem, not a big deal because i don't have any issues downloading torrents/surfing net/online gaming.

weird...

rasmasyean

@rcn.com

Can you download OnLive gaming on-demand client and try it? I believe you just need to register for a login but you don't have to buy anything. You can just watch other ppl play thier games.

When I had TWC, OnLive always said that the connection wasn't good enough for good performance and it got blurry and pixelated often. I know for a fact it doesn't take the full 10 to work.

When I switched to RCN, there hasn't been a message or a pixelation and blurriness.

isamu99

Los Angeles, CA
reply to excelx

said by excelx:

I have TWC ( 10mbps d/l - 1mbps up ) youtube videos load very slow, on my pc/ipad/asus tf201. ad blocker addons isn't the problem.

I also have AT&T DSL ( 3mbps d/l - 512kbps up ) youtube videos load fast! lets me play 720-1080p without a problem at all times.

I think twc internet is the problem, not a big deal because i don't have any issues downloading torrents/surfing net/online gaming.

weird...

Very interesting.....

excelx

join:2004-07-06
Los Angeles, CA

yeah but i still don't understand what's going on because i'm able to stream netflix/hbo go movies on both isp's without any problems.
one thing... i find att dsl to be more of a solid connection for online gaming, low ping.

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX
kudos:6

I have found at least on chrome when I clear cache and hit refresh youtube videos will often load faster even on TWCs DNS servers.
--
»www.akaskriller.com - Your ultimate source for all android needs.

PrymeMover

join:2000-11-22
Olathe, KS
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to isamu99

It has very little to do with the ISP, and everything to do with YouTube/Google's content delivery network (CDN). YouTube serves far too much content to try to deliver everything from a central--or even a few--datacenter(s). Therefore, they try to get popular content as close to the user as possible. For many large ISPs, this could even be within the provider's own network. However, the systems themselves are still the Youtube CDN (or contracted out to a third party by Youtube) and not owned/operated by the ISP. I believe that many of the local CDN resources may be oversubscribed, but that's Youtube's fault, not the ISP. That also is why you may see different results on a different provider, but that's still not their fault. Further, not all content is cached locally, so different video(s) can result in different experiences.

It makes it very frustrating when trying to troubleshoot the issue, but you're almost always barking up the wrong tree if you're blaming the ISP.

rasmasyean

@rcn.com

OK, so basically, You say Youtube loves RCN and ATT, but they hate TWC. OK, perhaps that's possible, granted.

But how do you explain the fact that TWC speeds go down 90% at times on speedtest.net? ...when you choose the "closest" test server!

"Oversubscribed" or not, it's TWC's job to scale the load. Unless you can find evidence of a mass customer switch-over to TWC from other ISP's, rendering everyone else underloaded and bombarding TWC at the same time, I can't find no fault in the ISP. Even if this were the case, that mass switch-over would have happened many months ago by the looks of it...more than enough time for TWC to have scaled their network or find a solution.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15

1 recommendation

said by rasmasyean :

OK, so basically, You say Youtube loves RCN and ATT, but they hate TWC. OK, perhaps that's possible, granted.

It's not that YouTube hates either one, it's a capacity issue.

Say YouTube has a direct CDN connection in New York to ATT, it's 10Gb, and it uses 8Gb at peak. Say YouTube also has a 10Gb connection in New York to TWC and it uses 14 Gb at peak (obviously they're bottlenecked at 10Gb). There's a capacity issue there, but it's up to YouTube to buy more capacity from TWC. It's not particularly TWCs job to force YouTube to buy more capacity.

If you switch to another provider the problem looks fixed. If you switch to a different CDN server it looks fixed. If you use something other than YouTube you don't have a problem.

This sort of situation is common with YouTube across the more popular ISPs in major markets.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

Aaron M

join:2002-03-01
Monrovia, CA
reply to isamu99

Is it just me or are things getting a bit better. For the past day or 2 1080P videos seem to be loading at my max speed(30Mbps)

maybe

@rr.com

Looks like twc finally stopped throttling youtube streams. Who's to say they won't throttle it again though.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable

said by maybe :

Looks like twc finally stopped throttling youtube streams. Who's to say they won't throttle it again though.

Dunno about you, but I have 30/5 connection (and it tests out consistently with SamKnows) and an 8 core MacPro with nVidia video and Youtube streams still suck hairy donkey butt.

It's unusable this evening here. Rest of the web is just fine.

maybe

@rr.com

maybe i spoke too soon. lagging again.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15
reply to maybe

said by maybe :

Who says they throttled it in the first place and WHY would TWC go after YouTube and not others like NetFlix, Vimeo, or Amazon video? Why would they throttle in some areas and not others?

How do you explain YouTube having similar issues on other ISPs, including FIOS, U-Verse, Comcast, Charter, Cablevision, Cox?

How can you tell this is throttling and simply not a congestion issue because YouTube isn't buying enough bandwidth?
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

Aaron M

join:2002-03-01
Monrovia, CA
reply to isamu99

Maybe with school right around the corner parents are cracking down on their kid's computer time. Youtube has been much much better this past week.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24

Let's not forget, Olympics are also over with. Less streaming they have to put up with at once during peak hours.

Expect it to get bad during the winter months though. It's pretty routine for YouTube.

pxwoo

join:2004-09-14
Racine, WI
reply to isamu99

It's not TW that throttles.

Open a random HD video (one that isn't featured on the front page etc)

Turn on HD then right click in the video and click "Show video info"

Watch this line: HTTPVideoPlayer, HTTP, 0 kbps
(for me it will generally jump between 0-2000kbps) (mostly 0)

Right click inside the player again and click "Take speed test"

Near the bottom of the speed test page click: Show Test Video

A video appears, set to HD and "Show video info" again

Watch how youtube's own video maxes your connection 99% of the time.

HTTPVideoPlayer, HTTP, 49943 kbps

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable

said by pxwoo:

This seems to work for the test video. But when I go back to random 1080p clips, I'm back to around 170kbps. The test video? SLAMs my internet connection. Wish the other videos would do this.

rasmasyean

@rcn.com
reply to pxwoo

said by pxwoo:

OK, I dunno what is “featured”, but here are actual tests for me via RCN. Which video you use so we’re on the same page?

It’s weird because there doesn’t seem to be a correlation between “popularity” and “throttle”.

400k hits:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HJoNXWW···ure=plcp

24mil hits:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHjpOzsQ···ure=plcp

49000-50000 kbps

10mil hits:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSLPH9d-···ure=plcp

10000-30000 kbps

Google Test Video
10000-39000 kbps

poopiepants

join:2003-10-04
King, NC
kudos:1
reply to isamu99

youtube is horrendus for me no matter what I try to do to make it better.. it really blows.

SIOYGYG

join:2011-01-08
Charlotte, NC
reply to isamu99

try swapping the modem out for a new if your running an old one the connection will be unstable

DelmarPip
Premium
join:2011-10-15
Brownsville, TX
reply to isamu99

i heard microsoft mse slows down youtube videos alot