share rss forum feed

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3
reply to DelmarPip

Re: [Wired] someone with a Linksys EA2700

Your request is not logical. Super fast is not a technical description. A person who has upgraded to 3.0Mbps down/0.5Mbps up DSL from dial up will think they have a super fast internet connection. A person who upgraded from DSL to fiber optic 10Mbps symmetrical will think they have a super fast connection.

A better way to get assistance is to tell us who your ISP is and what speed tier you use. The EA2700 has a Gigabit Ethernet ports. If you are subscribing to a fiber optic 1000Mbps symmetrical internet service, you might have a problem. Since the top speed tiers at most cable ISPs are below 100Mbps you should have no problem with the EA 2700, if you connect as much as you can to the Ethernet ports. If you are trying to do everything using WiFi, you may have some problems. If you try to keep everything on 2.4GHz you will probably see a slow down. Moving what you can to 5GHz will reduce the 2.4GHz load.

DelmarPip
Premium
join:2011-10-15
Brownsville, TX
by super fast i ment can it handle fios 75 Mbps downstream and 35 Mbps upstream

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3
I went to smallnetbuilder.com at »www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/r···rts/view

The EA2700 can handle the overall simultaneous upload and download fine. It is rated at 400Mbps combined upload and download. The WAN to LAN is 341Mbps. The LAN to WAN is 411.8Mbps. The details show that under certain circumstances you will be right at the limit of the router's WiFi performance. For example using 2.4GHz Uplink throughput at 40MHz B/W you get 36.2Mbps maximum capability. That is why you may need to use the 5GHz to take load off the 2.4GHz.

If you study the many charts you will see that the EA2700 surpasses the EA4200 in a few tests. The strange world of WiFi routers.

I would say it is a good choice for your situation. If you had the money I would try the new EA4500. I have used the E4200 with good results, but have not as intently as I think you will be using your router. I think the E4200 would do OK.