Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

1 recommendation

Smith6612 to Crookshanks

MVM

to Crookshanks

Re: vpn

Let's also not forget about game consoles. There are a ton of users out there and most of the game consoles complain if you're even behind one NAT. If Carrier grade NAT Goes into effect, expect a lot of trouble with people getting NAT3 on their devices and games not being able to work nicely. That community will certainly suffer as well from Carrier Grade NAT.

Also, piping a ton of people through a single IP address is going to also give website owners and gameserver owners a ton of grief. If there's a DDoS taking place, or if someone needs to get IP Banned there isn't a unique identifier. You wind up blocking the NAT with IP Ban which ultimately winds up blocking a ton of people. They'd have to create an easily avoided way of blocking abusers by means of CD Key Detection (if even possible for some games), account detection (again, if support is there) or nick detection (avoidable).

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

1 recommendation

cdru

MVM

said by Smith6612:

most of the game consoles complain if you're even behind one NAT.

Huh? I'd venture to guess that almost every game console is behind at least one level of NAT.
JTY
join:2004-05-29
Ellensburg, WA

JTY

Most (all) implement UPNP, so they just open the needed ports on your home router.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

said by JTY:

Most (all) implement UPNP, so they just open the needed ports on your home router.

I'm well aware of UPnP. I was countering Smith6612's assertion that game consoles complain if you're even behind one NAT. Obviously there are solutions to work with the issue in those millions of cases...and those solutions that work for the residential router also can (but not necessarily will) work for ISP NATing devices.