Samwoo
join:2002-02-15
Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

1 edit

2 recommendations

Samwoo to Chewyrobbo

to Chewyrobbo

Re: 6RD Tunneling

Well, if they are going to use tunneling for IPV6 (I assume they don't want update their internal routers), they still fall into the IPv4 address shortage, because they would still need IPv4 to route the tunnels across their internal network.

So I'm going to guess that they are using carrier grade NAT to fix the problem of routing across their IPv4 network in order to support the 6RD tunnels.

This would mean you can still have a public IPv6 address, but setting up networks for legacy software will break. And that will be a pain in the short term when software is still transitioning.

I don't know if I should be too bothered about it. Whatever the carrier does to do implement IPv6, it will involve getting rid of your public IPv4 address anyways.

IPv4 is going to be legacy soon, and of course they will charge a premium to support legacy implementations.

I guess the only way around this is to fully transition all the services on your end to IPv6 before AT&T destroys support for your IPv4 address.

One other way to handle this problem is to make an IPv4 tunnel (on top of your 6RD tunnel... ... ...) to a proxy on the internet which will hold your public IPv4 address and through which the internet could access your network.......................

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

whfsdude

Premium Member

said by Samwoo:

they still fall into the IPv4 address shortage, because they would still need IPv4 to route the tunnels across their internal network.

If you put the 6rd servers before the CGN NAT gateway, they can use RFC 1918 space for 6rd. Adds complexity but it can be done.

I suspect 6rd was just an emergency sort of thing. New hardware I'm sure will natively support v6 in say a year.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

1 recommendation

cramer

Premium Member

Yes, Comcast ended the 6rd trial as is was not the correct path forward -- that is a native IPv6 network.

AT&T has decided to be boneheaded and roll with 6rd as their road to IPv6. So they'll be doing IPv6 deployment TWICE because the idiots don't want to take the time to do it right from the beginning. 6rd *requires* IPv4 for it's transport, and puts your IPv4 address in it's IPv6 prefix, which the entire f'ing world will see. As I've pointed out previously, you can use private addresses within 6rd, but then you're forced to use multiple IPv6 prefixes to create 6rd islands to avoid address collisions.

AT&T has *PLENTY* of IPv4 address space. They only way they could be out of space (or anywhere remotely near out) would be from extreme wasteful mismanagement of their blocks -- which would given ARIN the authority to revoke address blocks (not that they would bother.)

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

whfsdude

Premium Member

said by cramer:

AT&T has *PLENTY* of IPv4 address space.

I wonder if they plan to sell much like Nortel did. They could raise enough cash to cover their CGN operations and pocket some extra.