how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH

CGN is smart

CGN is what should have been used instead of IPv6 the world over. It's proven to work, and 95% of customers don't need a public IP, and the ones who do should pay extra.

It already works on the cell network, and on some large Wifi networks, so we know it works. I've actually seen it work a lot BETTER than assigning public IP's, as it just makes more up, instead of running out of public IP's.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
join:2005-07-01
Atlanta, GA

1 recommendation

said by BiggA:

CGN is what should have been used instead of IPv6 the world over. It's proven to work, and 95% of customers don't need a public IP, and the ones who do should pay extra.

You really love spending other people's money. You should be a politician, once you get out of your mom's basement.
--
Teabaggers: Destroying America is Priority #1

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105

1 recommendation

reply to BiggA

If I didn't know any better, I'd swear you work for an outfit like Microsoft...patch on top of a patch on top of a fix on top of another patch...all in the name of not disturing older APIs and such.

I think we have hashed this over before. I think of sorts like you as those who would rather put your head in the sand than just man up and transition. Like it or not, IPv6 is the future. We may take several steps before arriving there, but the sooner we all readjust to using IPv6, the sooner it will be over, done, and completed. Deploy now. Get the experience. IPv4 is as broken as Microsoft Windows 2000, and it needs to be retired. (Actually it'd probably be a better analogous fit to say "XP" because it is slated to be unsupported in fairly short time in favor of Win7.)

Me, I personally want to see more widespread consumer ATAs which support more than just IPv4 VOIP. Just about everything else I have (which is networked) is at least some level of IPv6 capable.
--
English is a difficult enough language to interpret correctly when its rules are followed, let alone when a writer chooses not to follow those rules.

Jeopardy! replies and randomcaps REALLY suck!

NOCTech75
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Marietta, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by rchandra:

If I didn't know any better, I'd swear you work for an outfit like Microsoft...patch on top of a patch on top of a fix on top of another patch...all in the name of not disturing older APIs and such.

Because no other operating system gets patched right?

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105

ummm...yeah, others do, it's just a perception that MS have had so much trouble with their product that it gets updated a lot more frequently than one would ordinarily expect.

BiggA

EARTH
reply to rchandra

IPv6 is a conspiracy by Cisco and other networking companies to sell new gear. They will make a lot more money selling all new gear than just adding CGN. I will use IPv4 until I am forced off of it, and then I will use IPv6. My new modem/router will be IPv6 capable, but I will disable IPv6 until the ISP forces me to get IPv6.

DelmarPip
Premium
join:2011-10-15
Brownsville, TX
reply to BiggA

is disabling this ipv6 crap good or bad ? btw what is ipv6 ?

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to BiggA

You're so stupid it is pathetic.

BiggA

EARTH
reply to DelmarPip

If you want it, turn it on. If you don't, don't. IPv4 still works. Most users will eventually just end up with it, and have no reason to care one way or the other.

BiggA

EARTH
reply to 34764170

That was a constructive comment.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to DelmarPip

For more info I point you to

a) »www.fcc.gov/guides/internet-prot···onsumers

b) »www.internetsociety.org/everyday···ide-ipv6
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

lololol

@virginmedia.com
reply to BiggA

said by BiggA:

IPv6 is a conspiracy by Cisco and other networking companies to sell new gear. They will make a lot more money selling all new gear than just adding CGN. I will use IPv4 until I am forced off of it, and then I will use IPv6. My new modem/router will be IPv6 capable, but I will disable IPv6 until the ISP forces me to get IPv6.

Until recently I was using an ancient Cisco router for my ADSL connection. Despite being so ancient, Cisco happily provided IOS updates - and along the line somewhere they included IPv6 support.

So my 10 year old Cisco can do it, and Cisco didn't get a sale out of me for a new router. What was all this about "make a lot more money"?

BiggA

EARTH

Of course they will look good to the consumers, but it's on the business and ISP end where they will make the big bucks. They looked at the $$$ signs, and saw more in IPv6 than CGN, so they and others in the industry pushed for IPv6. Of course, it probably wasn't their idea in the first place, it was probably some idiot in academia who was figuring out ways to address more things without thinking of the consequences of having to upgrade, as opposed to just plopping CGN in the middle, which would have been the much better solution, and one that is already proven to work the world over.

NOCTech75
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Marietta, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by BiggA:

Of course they will look good to the consumers, but it's on the business and ISP end where they will make the big bucks. They looked at the $$$ signs, and saw more in IPv6 than CGN, so they and others in the industry pushed for IPv6. Of course, it probably wasn't their idea in the first place, it was probably some idiot in academia who was figuring out ways to address more things without thinking of the consequences of having to upgrade, as opposed to just plopping CGN in the middle, which would have been the much better solution, and one that is already proven to work the world over.

So make your own shit and compete with them.

BiggA

EARTH

They have too much sway in the market, and I know they make CGN gear as well, but it's just not as profitable as doing IPv6.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
join:2005-07-01
Atlanta, GA

said by BiggA:

They have too much sway in the market, and I know they make CGN gear as well, but it's just not as profitable as doing IPv6.

Those damn horseless carriages are ruining everything! They scare the horses and the women-folk, they smell bad, and cost too much money. Nobody needs to go faster than a good horse can run, anyway. A total waste of money, if you ask me.
--
Teabaggers: Destroying America is Priority #1

BiggA

EARTH

That really has nothing to do with IPv4 or IPv6. Both are just addressing schemes.