spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dingobabel

join:2012-05-30

Transmit Power level

I read somewhere that reducing the Transmit Power could take a load off the power consumption of the router and in turn possibly let it have a longer life. If it does, then great, but it raises some questions that may be irrelevant anyway .

I don't have the specs and don't know how far the router projects. I set the Transmit Power to 50% and everything seems to work properly. Is there any possible security issues with using a lower level?

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:2

If another router with the same SSID as yours is operating AND has the same password as yours, your client might attempt to connect to it, if you have set up an automatic connect when in range feature.

If another router with the same SSID as yours is operating AND has a DIFFERENT password than yours, your client might attempt to connect to it, but the log in should fail even if you have set up an automatic connect when in range feature.

If another router with the same SSID as yours is operating AND has no security set, your client might attempt to connect to it, if you have set up an automatic connect when in range feature.

if you create a really unique SSID for your router and use a strong password, it should not matter how low your power level is.

sbconslt

join:2009-07-28
Los Angeles, CA
reply to dingobabel

From a network security standpoint, the optimal power setting would be just enough to reliably cover the area where client stations will be operating. But there is very much disagreement about power levels. And, manufacturers and models differ.
--
Scott Brown Consulting

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19

a good level for an apartment is about 22 mW.

48mW is a good middle range.

55+ is on the higher side for residential grade equipment.

Also the style of antenna dictates the shape of the transmission strength and you can use this to your advantage.

baysoor

join:2002-03-12
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by DataRiker:

a good level for an apartment is about 22 mW.

48mW is a good middle range.

55+ is on the higher side for residential grade equipment.

Also the style of antenna dictates the shape of the transmission strength and you can use this to your advantage.

dd-wrt on asus defaults to 71 mw. Is this high then?

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19

1 recommendation

Yes.

dd-wrt truth be told is not very good firmware unless you need a repeater, then you must settle with it.

From what I understood 71mW is the absolute maximum tx on the wrt54g stuff that popularized dd-wrt.

Some claim is creates noise while other don't.

Tomato defaults to 48mW much seems more reasonable on consumer grade equipment.

BTW, Tomato out performs dd-wrt by a mile. I have always had stability issues with dd-wrt and using P2P software not matter what settings I used.

Try Tomato or open-wrt for better results.

Expand your moderator at work

Da Geek Kid

join:2003-10-11
::1
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to dingobabel

Re: Transmit Power level

Transmit power is like that annoying guy in the subway screaming into his cell while you are trying to have a simple chat with the very nice looking lady sitting next to you and you cannot hear what she's saying about how she'd like to take you out for a lovely dinner... but too bad that you can't hear a thing...

When the Transmit Power is set too high it will cause issues for the devices that are close to the AP. Also, your handheld may see an AP afar but it will unable to communicate to it because the handheld may be incapable of producing the right power to reach the AP.