uniqs

jjoshua
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ

jjoshua to cowboyro

Premium Member

to cowboyro

Re: If anyone bothered to read instead of bashing...

10.x.x.x network is defined as private.

AT&T should not be telling you that you can't use it unless they plan on breaking something.
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

1 recommendation

ISurfTooMuch

They aren't telling you that you can't use it, per se. The issue is that their RG will allow you to specify, via a pull-down menu, the private IP block that you want it to assign to devices on the LAN side, and the 10.x.x.x range is one of your choices. I think what they'll do is push new firmware that will delete that option. Now, if you are set up to use another range, then you're OK, but, if you use that one, the results could be unpredictable. In a perfect world, the firmware update would cause the RG to default to something else, maybe 192.168.x.x, but, even if that happens, it could still cause problems if you have machines mapped to specific IP's.

If you're using a separate router behind the RG, which is grabbing a private IP from the RG and then using another layer of NAT that happens to be set to 10.x.x.x, then you should be fine leaving that alone. In fact, that's what I'm doing.

jjoshua
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ

jjoshua

Premium Member

said by ISurfTooMuch:

If you're using a separate router behind the RG, which is grabbing a private IP from the RG and then using another layer of NAT that happens to be set to 10.x.x.x, then you should be fine leaving that alone. In fact, that's what I'm doing.

In fact, you would be wrong if you tried to access the outside world from within any private network that uses 10.x.x.x.