spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

groggy

@cgocable.net

Costs going up, downgrading cable

So i reduced my package today, i would have been paying nearly 200 a month for the services i had, too much for me, and it is ridiculous what we pay in this country. All that aside, while on the phone with the customer service agent she refused to match the offer bell made, (which we still might go for) then added the charge for the second tv, which we didn't pay before, reducing my savings as if out of spite for downgrading, all the while telling me how costs go up so rates have to go up, that's how business works!

Well, i got news for you cogeco, when your rates get too high your customers can choose not to pay them! That's how business works, i dont NEED you fast but incredibly overpriced internet, I don't NEED the discovery channel because you won't let me pay 2.50 for it, but force me to pay for a whole other level of package to get it. My costs go up too, and i don't NEED to support your 'business'.

I_H8_Spam

join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON
There are alternatives for television, internet and phone that can reduce your bill by 50% or more.

Vote with your wallet, it has never been so easy as it is now.

groggy

@cgocable.net
You're right, and im going to look into it, as a bonus now that i have reduced my programming, and changed nothing else at home, the aspect ratio of my channels is screwed up and they look terrible, this is the non hd channels ive always had. Cogeco is no help.

Marcucus

@cgocable.ca
reply to I_H8_Spam
Same for me, I had a 255$/month package.......and I trown out 3 X HD TV PVR with Discovery channels etc....

Now I have just 5 channels but in REAL HD.....by rabbit antenna

I keep Internet and VOIP......for 73.00$/month

ouffff....

groggy

@cgocable.net
this is crazy now, most of the channels have the black bars top and bottom, some fill the screen, the commercials are window boxed..i only reduced my programming, why is this happening? I am still supposed to be getting the hd digital basic, how does getting fewer channels mean that i get a different signal on the channels i always had?

Phorkster
Premium
join:2004-06-27
Windsor, ON
kudos:1
Time for someone to call Shaw. I have a reps email if you are interested.

Marcer
Premium,VIP
join:2007-07-08
Hamilton, ON
kudos:13
HI Groggy, it sounds like the resolution on the HD box is not correct, If you want to create a profile and flip me a PM with your Address and/or Phone # it's fixed up fairly easily.

cablesmurfet

join:2012-05-28
Burlington, ON
reply to groggy
Try Shaw Direct. That's what we did last year when we got fed up with paying so much. The package we have from Shaw Direct has more channels, costs less, and has better picture and sound quality.

Dreamwiser3

join:2009-12-18
Hamilton, ON
reply to groggy
Finally got Cogeco internet switched to Start.ca like 1 hour ago.
I'm feeling better already.

donedealnow

@cgocable.net
Well I got rid of Cogeco phone service and today paid on Start.ca internet. I am expecting to get 14-16 Mbps and 300 GB. I did try once again to give Cogeco a chance to up my usage but they said no. I knew they would not be able to but oh well they lose more money from me. I am only left with cable tv service and yes I will be keeping it cuz it is worth it to me at this point. I tried getting live feeds of sports on the internet and it was a headache. I also don't like my internet usage being used up for anything but downloading stuff I buy or streaming me playing games. I can't wait to stream finally and not worry too much about what I am doing in terms of usage.

I saw the costs going up and I would rid myself of Cogeco cable but there are not options for me. I can't go to Bell for tv as the landlord won't allow new dishes put up on our building.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
said by donedealnow :

I can't go to Bell for tv as the landlord won't allow new dishes put up on our building.

You wouldn't happen to have a south/west facing balcony would you? There's stands now, for ever-smaller dishes.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Make The Switch - »openmedia.ca/switch

groggy

@cgocable.net
well, i cancelled my cable, and will probably at least get rid of the phone service as well, so of course after we had already ordered our new satellite service the csr wanted to review our account for us, to see what they could do...the week before, nothing. Well that's their business, but tonight were getting calls from the customer survey line or some such thing, they called 4 times in an hour, woke my wife up. gj cogeco

groggy

@cgocable.net
reply to cablesmurfet
O and we went with shaw direct, got the hd pvr and dish for 199, no shipping, seems pretty good to me.
Expand your moderator at work

cablesmurfet

join:2012-05-28
Burlington, ON
reply to groggy

Re: Costs going up, downgrading cable

Shaw Direct is a good choice. That's what we have. We still have phone and Internet through Cogeco. Wouldn't get cable again, costs too much.

rudeboy24

join:2002-10-14
Welland, ON
if you had voip.ms for your phone and start.ca for your internet u would be GOUGEco free and save a bundle

JVRudnick

join:2004-01-12
Waterdown, ON
reply to groggy
Our own account was at $185 a month...and I'd had enough.

Called Cogeco and cut out the VoIP phone - saved $39 a month

Cut out all the extra channels above basic cable - saved $68 a month

Cut out two receivers we were using in two bedrooms (kids are gone we're empty nesters) figuring that as they sit unused for months till we have a guest....and saved another $19 a month...

In total we went from $185 down to $59 a month.

I'm happy....so should we all be, eh!

jim

kim
That Chick
Premium,Mod
join:2001-03-25
ON
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
I had services I wasn't using as well and am now saving $40/month without noticing a difference. Thanks to Marcer See Profile for helping me with that.

I still can't part with my land line phone yet, I use it just for LD. I see that as a flaw in my geek DNA that I'm learning to embrace.
--
Fluent in 3 languages: English, Sarcasm and Sexual Innuendo.

rudeboy24

Welland, ON

1 edit
its fun being able to change the caller id name to something funny while calling your family and friends.

get an asterisk server setup and get your geek on lol

Phorkster
Premium
join:2004-06-27
Windsor, ON
kudos:1
Dont even need an asterisk server, I do it with my ATA.

rudeboy24

Welland, ON
i also use 2 ATA's and 2 android phones ..when someone calls my home number i can answer it on my cell using CSIPSimple over WiFi or over cell data connection

kim
That Chick
Premium,Mod
join:2001-03-25
ON
kudos:8
reply to rudeboy24
Okay I love the sound of that.
'splain please.

rudeboy24

Welland, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Start Communicat..

1 recommendation

»www.voip.ms/ ..you need to put $25 minimum in your account.

»wiki.voip.ms/ - explains how to set it up ,...u dont even need an asterisk server with voip.ms u can setup sub accounts and have different phone's/numbers linked to them ..there are also Soft phones u can use to call from your computer using a headset.

Edit: u can make calls without buying a DID (Phone number).

chdude3

join:2003-07-29
Oakville, ON
said by rudeboy24:

»www.voip.ms/ ..you need to put $25 minimum in your account.

»wiki.voip.ms/ - explains how to set it up ,...u dont even need an asterisk server with voip.ms u can setup sub accounts and have different phone's/numbers linked to them ..there are also Soft phones u can use to call from your computer using a headset.

Edit: u can make calls without buying a DID (Phone number).

It's great, eh? I've got subaccounts set up for my Android phone and our laptop. I don't actually have a data plan, but when out travelling I've used WiFi to call from a SIP app on my phone.

I love having my voicemail forwarded to me in an email as well, in case we do miss a call. I've got no complaints or qualms about having gone to voip.ms - I remember when Cogeco called to try and lure us back to their phone service, the phone rep absolutely would not beleive that we pay on average about $7/mo for our phone service and usage. Sure beats $40+ with Cogeco!

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
I'm in the process of moving our business over to voip.ms. Fantastic service, and we're saving a shitload of money for more than we had before.

rudeboy24

Welland, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Start Communicat..
reply to chdude3
i love it, i have it setup so every phone in the house has its own line so there no more .."Hurry up, I need to use the phone", and they all ring when the home number is called so u can answer any phone.
I use an asterisk server at home for my business lines and home lines, i have 4 numbers (1 home, 1 business, 1 Toll-Free and 1 Fax) an all for under $20 a month including calling.

GOUGEco can't compete with that lol