share rss forum feed

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
kudos:1

Multiple Crashes / BSOD

I'm having some problems with my computer. It's a Dell Dimension DM051 running windows XP Pro 5.1.2600, SP3, 3 GB ram. I started out getting a sub-spooler error pop-up on startup. All my printers work, so I can't determine where this is coming from.

Next issue up was a Sonic Activation module pop-up started appearing, looking to install drivers for something. DVD Drive software corrupt?

Lastly I have a fax-modem with ascendis callerID running on it for a long time, and just the last couple of days when an incoming call hits, the computer crashes.

I copied the crash report pop-up (attached) but I have no idea what it says.
--
~Help Find a Cure for Cancer~
~Proud Member of Team Discovery ~

Tursiops_G
Technoid
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-06
Norwalk, CT

Bug Check 0x1000008E: (KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED) errors CAN be caused by Defective RAM...
Give Memtest86+ a shot at it, just to rule that possibility out: »www.memtest.org

HTH,

-Tursiops_G.
--
If You're Unsure, "RTFM"... If You're SURE, "RTFM" Anyway.

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
Cape Cod

I tried booting memtest86+-4.20.usb.installer.zip that I installed on a thumb drive but it wouldn't boot.

I have to admit, I'm not especially brilliant with a lot of this, but don't mind trying.
--

Tursiops_G
Technoid
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-06
Norwalk, CT

You'll need to extract the .EXE file from the zipfile to your desktop,
then run it to create the Bootable thumb drive... (NOTE: this will erase ALL existing files on the Thumb drive, so be sure to copy anything of value off of it first!)...

When it's done formatting/writing to the Thumb drive, then plug it into the problem PC, and boot from it (you may have to change the Boot order in the BIOS to accommodate it).

HTH,

-Tursiops_G.
--
If You're Unsure, "RTFM"... If You're SURE, "RTFM" Anyway.

auggy
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-24
Brockville, ON
kudos:18
reply to jack b

Also, it may help to look at the minidump files from the crashes with a debugger.

Can you zip up the minidump files in the C:\Windows\Minidump folder and attach to a post in this thread?

If you have problems zipping the minidump files copy the minidump files to another location such as a folder on the Desktop

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
Cape Cod

downloadMinidump.zip 159,342 bytes
Here is the dump folder contents. Thanks. I couldn't get memtest to run, I tried several boot (re)configurations to try to boot from the thumb drive unsuccessfully.

What does one use to properly view these files? I tried notepad but can't make heads nor tails of it.
--

Freddy
Premium
join:2005-05-17
Arlington, VA
kudos:2

Jack, you can view the dump information using the following program:

»www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

However, you still have to understand what you see. There is a lot of information at the site.

Freddy

auggy
Premium,Mod
Brockville, ON
reply to jack b

The driver that appears to be causing the crash is the HSF_DP.sys:

BUCKET_ID: 0x8E_HSF_DP+a9f21

The HSF_DP.sys is a driver for the Conexant PCI modem.

You could try uninstalling and then reinstalling the modem driver:

»www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/···de=False

If the problem persists the following link appears to have an updated generic driver you could try(HSFp_WinXP.zip):

»www.conexant.com/support/md_driv···nce.html

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
Cape Cod

Awesome! Thanks!
What I've done in the meantime, I found a program online, Driver Tool, that scans existing hardware drivers and compares them to a current list. Rather than pay thirty bucks for them to "download" any necessary new drivers for me, I located a few of the outdated ones the tool said I needed to update, and installed them on my own.

One of the stale drivers it identified was the Conexant modem driver, and I now have the "latest" driver update.

Time will tell if this solved the crashes. If needed I can install the generic one you provided a link to.

Thanks again!
--

auggy
Premium,Mod
Brockville, ON

Good luck!

Are you still getting the "spoolsv.exe" error at startup?

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
Cape Cod

Yes, I still get it, but can't figure out which print driver it's referring to. I'm sorting through my printers listed under Control Panel, so far connected physical printers appear "ready" and test pages print fine.
--

pog4
Premium
join:2004-06-03
Kihei, HI
reply to jack b

To help rule things out, you might just physically remove the PCI modem from your computer altogether. It's quite easy to do. Power down the computer, unplug from wall, remove the side panel from the case, and look at the where the card sits. It will be fairly obvious what to do from this point.

Anyway, once this is done and the system reboots, that driver/device won't be part of the equation anymore. You don't need this modem anyway unless you send faxes from your computer? I hope you aren't using dialup!

To run memtest, if your USB stick was created properly, just insert it into any usb port and power on your system. Hit F12 as soon as you get the Dell splash screen (the first thing your computer shows when starting up). This will get you a boot menu and you can select "USB device" as your boot device here.

If this doesn't work, consider creating a bootable CD or DVD using the downloadable ISO from the memtest site. If you don't have software to burn ISOs, can use the free ImgBurn utility: »www.imgburn.com/ Then you just insert the CD and reboot, hitting F12 as earlier mentioned and then selecting CD as the boot device.
--
My Site

auggy
Premium,Mod
Brockville, ON

1 recommendation

reply to jack b

Can you locate and attach a spoolsv.exe.mdmp that is located in your Temp directory such as here:

C:\DOCUME~1\JB~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER7e63.dir00\spoolsv.exe.mdmp

To open the Temp directory do the following:

Start > Run > type %temp% in the "Open" box > OK

The spoolsv.exe.mdmp may be quite large so you may have to compress the file with a third party application such as WinRAR, WinZip or 7-Zip.

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
Cape Cod

I'm not finding that particular file, at this moment. The next time I reboot and the spoolsv error message pops up I'll trace the path right away and post the file. Thanks!
--

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
Cape Cod
reply to jack b

Update: knock wood, I have not had any further crashes/errors or issues since updating the modem driver, and a few others as well.

I did some heavy-duty housekeeping, including deleting old / unused software, some of which may have played a factor.

Thanks to all who responded!
--

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
Cape Cod

downloadcrash.ZIP 41,849 bytes
I'm still getting occasional crashes with incoming phone calls.

Attached is the crash report dump from locals/temp.

If anyone can figure out what's possibly causing this, that would be awesome!!!
--

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to jack b

It's your modem driver again.
Mini062212-01.dmp 6/22/2012 5:46:44 PM KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED 0x1000008e 0xc0000092 0xb7922817 0xba4d7d24 0x00000000 HSF_DP.sys HSF_DP.sys+2a81a 32-bit HSF_DP.sys+2a81a

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
Cape Cod

1 edit

THANK YOU! I thought I had updated the driver. I just uninstalled the modem and confirmed the generic modem driver is installed, it shows up as SoftV92 Data Fax Modem in my device manager.

I hope that fixes the issue.

I occasionally use the modem for sending and receiving faxes, so I do have a need for it to work.

--