how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1

[WA] what will happen with the state owned liquor stores?

Are they going to have a going out of business sale, or what?

DanHo
Premium
join:2002-05-20
Seattle, WA

They are not going out of business. Ownership (liquore license) has been auctioned. My understanding is new ownership has to buy the existing inventory.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by DanHo:

They are not going out of business. Ownership (liquore license) has been auctioned. My understanding is new ownership has to buy the existing inventory.

I don't think they have to buy it, but it appears it would be cheaper than the new distribution scheme (at last for the single store/sole business group. The big players (costco, grocery stores, etc.) have a buying advantage but need to cut pricing and advertise to gain market share, while "beverage stores" can draw on existing customer, and speciality markets.
I don't see buy the rights to neogotiate a new lease or find another nearby location is being that geat but some people really bid high (quite a few failed to pay for their bid so they re-auctioned those stores)
The way the law ended up, with retailers liable for the next couple years if the state does get X dollars (25% more than the used to) means liqour will probably cost MORE other than the big boys who MIGHT see it is a loss leader and shift the cost to other goods (not good for grocery stores which are already suffering, costco/sams club can probably do it.)
Not the cheap alcohol mecca that was sold to the voters.

W7PSK
Just Me
Premium
join:2000-12-04
Everett, WA
reply to aurgathor

The state is mad at the Voters so they are going to TAX it so bad that it will look like the greedy retailers are jacking prices so they can say SEE SEE it was a bad law and get their monopoly back.

Hopefully we can get someone to see reason. The other states that have privatized liqueur stores the prices are 1/2 what they are here.

The only reason it would go up is the state jacking the taxes.
--
Rick Scott
Everett, Washington

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA

It's because we don't have an income tax, so washington State must tax everything else very heavily.

W7PSK
Just Me
Premium
Everett, WA

Taxing is fine. Its the uncontrolled spending Id like to see reeled in first.

drew
Automatic
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6
reply to aurgathor

All I know is that Safeway is advertising a fifth of smirnoff for ten bucks.

Really, even if prices are higher, this is a net positive for the state (as in a community, not a business): private industry is private industry once again.
--
flickr | 'Cause I've been waiting, all my life just waiting
For you to shine, shine your light on me

W7PSK
Just Me
Premium
Everett, WA

said by drew:

Really, even if prices are higher, this is a net positive for the state (as in a community, not a business): private industry is private industry once again.

DING
--
Rick Scott
Everett, Washington

DanHo
Premium
Seattle, WA
reply to drew

said by drew:

Yeah, but what they aren't showing are the additional taxes that you'll get nailed with at the register.

»blog.seattlepi.com/seattlepoliti···pensive/

At first glance, the 750-ml. bottle of Absolut vodka for $20 at Fred Meyer in Seattle looks like a good deal. It’s $3 less than the day before, when the only place you could get a bottle of booze was in a government-run liquor store.

But tack on some hefty taxes, and that bottle of vodka is actually almost $27. That’s 17 percent more than what the state had charged, before Initiative 1183 takes effect Friday. ...

One noticeable change is advertising. Before, in Washington’s no-frills liquor stores, the shelf price was the cash register price. All taxes and fees were rolled into that price.

Now, retailers are free to advertise alluringly low prices, get you in their stores and then hit you with the sting of a $3.77 liter tax and 20.5 percent spirits tax at checkout.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

So you should drink something really expensive, say $75-100 a liter, then the $3.77 is a minor portion, and at that price a single drink or 2 is the most many would be will to pay for.

I'm hoping the liquior control board will at least require them to post the "with tax" price at the store, some people will be suprised at the register as the tax rate is so much higher than sales tax which doesn't apply to most "food" items (the description of what food is keeps changing )

drew
Automatic
Premium
Port Orchard, WA
reply to DanHo

That's BS.

I really dislike deceptive pricing.

DanHo
Premium
Seattle, WA

1 edit

Hell, cell & cable companies have been doing it for years.

drew
Automatic
Premium
Port Orchard, WA

Yep.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
reply to DanHo

said by DanHo:

Now, retailers are free to advertise alluringly low prices, get you in their stores and then hit you with the sting of a $3.77 liter tax and 20.5 percent spirits tax at checkout

Well, I have that gut feeling this is not what "yes" voters had in mind, but they sure got what they wished for.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

state
stress magnet
Premium,Mod
join:2002-02-08
Purgatory

1 recommendation

reply to W7PSK

said by W7PSK:

The state is mad at the Voters

Wrong. I'm not mad at anyone.

drew
Automatic
Premium
Port Orchard, WA
reply to aurgathor

Bought a bottle of Glenlivet 12 at Albertson's yesterday. Total was $47.99. How does that compare to ye-olde days?

DanHo
Premium
Seattle, WA

According to the search I just did a 750 mL bottle sold for $39.95 total.

drew
Automatic
Premium
Port Orchard, WA

Welp, that sucks.

DanHo
Premium
Seattle, WA

What I find that sucks even more: I had to use a web cached version of the price book on the LCB page to find the info. I can't get directly to it. Use to be able to use it with no issues.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA

do you have a link? I tried to find a working one but the LCB seems to be shredding all consumer friendly sites as fast as they can.

DanHo
Premium
Seattle, WA

I used this search term: wa state liquor control board alcohol pricing

First link for me in google was directly to the price book - »liq.wa.gov/stores/price-book - with access denied.

Next, used the cached link from google: »webcache.googleusercontent.com/s···&ct=clnk

That worked (although, it doesn't look like you can use the direct link listed above). Use the "Search Regular Price List (Web only)" radio button and click "Display List"

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA

Neither works for me now.
Not that important (I rarely buy spirits) just getting curious over how the pricing is working out.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
reply to drew

Looks like an occasional trip to California might by worth it
»www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=6···Products

DanHo
Premium
Seattle, WA

said by tshirt:

Looks like an occasional trip to California might by worth it
»www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=6···Products

I'll still do that when I go to visit my dad in Redding. I don't go through the hard stuff that quickly and it's easy to transport back in the car.

Cat Scratch

join:2005-06-27
reply to aurgathor

Not to thread jack, but do we folks from Oregon have to pay the taxes if we purchase liquor in Washington?

I know if I were to buy a car or furniture (or anything not service related) in Vancouver, the taxes are waived.

Arathaen
Herding Cats
Premium
join:2001-08-06
Vancouver, WA

From what I've read, there will be no exceptions. They want their money!

Gizy
Have you thanked a soldier today?
Premium
join:2002-08-26
PNW
reply to Cat Scratch

said by Cat Scratch:

Not to thread jack, but do we folks from Oregon have to pay the taxes if we purchase liquor in Washington?

I know if I were to buy a car or furniture (or anything not service related) in Vancouver, the taxes are waived.

There's been talk within the last six months of doing away with this practice. Currently, in Vancouver, you can usually show a drivers license and they will do a tax-exempt sale for the sales tax. It's being proposed that while we can still have the tax-exempt sale, we'll have to apply for a refund for the sales tax through the state.

I don't believe all the taxes on alcohol are sales tax.....we'd only be exempt on a portion of them.
--
Home of the free, because of the brave.
Please help AnySoldier
Dog Tags for Kids
Buy a soldier a cup of coffee

DanHo
Premium
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

said by Gizy:

I don't believe all the taxes on alcohol are sales tax.....we'd only be exempt on a portion of them.

This is correct. The majority of taxes on alcohol are called excise taxes, aka sin taxes for alcohol and cigarettes. There are other excise taxes for other items (gas tax).

According to the website tax-rates.org, WA has the highest excise taxes ($26.70/gal) in the US for both wine and hard alcohol. (This may be a little outdated as it still indicates that WA liquor stores are still state owned)

Also, according to the same website, excise taxes "for goods that are purchased in Washington and exported, Washington excise taxes paid on goods are generally non-refundable."

Cat Scratch

join:2005-06-27

1 recommendation

reply to Gizy

Well, I guess that 'taxes' are the price of society.

Gizy, Arathaen & DanHo, thanks for your replies.

DanHo
Premium
Seattle, WA
reply to aurgathor

FYI- The Seattle Times is doing a price change tracker on their site: »seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l···pid=2628