Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DanHo
Premium
join:2002-05-20
Seattle, WA
reply to tshirt

Re: [WA] what will happen with the state owned liquor stores?

I used this search term: wa state liquor control board alcohol pricing

First link for me in google was directly to the price book - »liq.wa.gov/stores/price-book - with access denied.

Next, used the cached link from google: »webcache.googleusercontent.com/s···&ct=clnk

That worked (although, it doesn't look like you can use the direct link listed above). Use the "Search Regular Price List (Web only)" radio button and click "Display List"

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Neither works for me now.
Not that important (I rarely buy spirits) just getting curious over how the pricing is working out.

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
reply to drew
Looks like an occasional trip to California might by worth it
»www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=6···Products

DanHo
Premium
Seattle, WA
said by tshirt:

Looks like an occasional trip to California might by worth it
»www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=6···Products

I'll still do that when I go to visit my dad in Redding. I don't go through the hard stuff that quickly and it's easy to transport back in the car.

Cat Scratch

join:2005-06-27
kudos:1
reply to aurgathor
Not to thread jack, but do we folks from Oregon have to pay the taxes if we purchase liquor in Washington?

I know if I were to buy a car or furniture (or anything not service related) in Vancouver, the taxes are waived.

Arathaen
Herding Cats
Premium
join:2001-08-06
Vancouver, WA
From what I've read, there will be no exceptions. They want their money!

Gizy
Have you thanked a soldier today?
Premium
join:2002-08-26
PNW
reply to Cat Scratch
said by Cat Scratch:

Not to thread jack, but do we folks from Oregon have to pay the taxes if we purchase liquor in Washington?

I know if I were to buy a car or furniture (or anything not service related) in Vancouver, the taxes are waived.

There's been talk within the last six months of doing away with this practice. Currently, in Vancouver, you can usually show a drivers license and they will do a tax-exempt sale for the sales tax. It's being proposed that while we can still have the tax-exempt sale, we'll have to apply for a refund for the sales tax through the state.

I don't believe all the taxes on alcohol are sales tax.....we'd only be exempt on a portion of them.
--
Home of the free, because of the brave.
Please help AnySoldier
Dog Tags for Kids
Buy a soldier a cup of coffee

DanHo
Premium
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

said by Gizy:

I don't believe all the taxes on alcohol are sales tax.....we'd only be exempt on a portion of them.

This is correct. The majority of taxes on alcohol are called excise taxes, aka sin taxes for alcohol and cigarettes. There are other excise taxes for other items (gas tax).

According to the website tax-rates.org, WA has the highest excise taxes ($26.70/gal) in the US for both wine and hard alcohol. (This may be a little outdated as it still indicates that WA liquor stores are still state owned)

Also, according to the same website, excise taxes "for goods that are purchased in Washington and exported, Washington excise taxes paid on goods are generally non-refundable."

Cat Scratch

join:2005-06-27

1 recommendation

reply to Gizy
Well, I guess that 'taxes' are the price of society.

Gizy, Arathaen & DanHo, thanks for your replies.

DanHo
Premium
Seattle, WA
reply to aurgathor
FYI- The Seattle Times is doing a price change tracker on their site: »seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l···pid=2628