tomkb
Premium Member
join:2000-11-15
Tampa, FL

tomkb

Premium Member

Bandwidth purchase question

Hi Group,

We have 2 datacenters, one is for DR replication.

We have specifically requested 10Mbps of bandwidth from each center. These are two different companies. We have requested no bursting or percentile charges, just raw 10Mbps to do with as we please.

We basically consume all of it at both locations for our replication needs.

Question though. When I look at our PRTG graphs, I am showing 20,000 kbits/second (20Mpbs) at each site in use. Now, I have to believe that 2 different data centers would not screw up and both of them give us 20Mbps each.

Is it customary to just get 10Mbps up and 10 Mbps down only when a 10Mbps connection is ordered? Or, does the 10 up and 10 down add up to a total of 20 in either direction?

What is normal here?
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer

Premium Member

"10Mbps connection" typically means "10/10", thus symmetric. Your graph may be showing the combined (in+out)??? I doubt any carrier would get a p-t-p metro-ethernet circuit wrong. I would've expected you to have tested the circuit before putting it to use. Now that it's live, it will hard to test.

(you can always setup monitoring yourself and see how much traffic is flowing.)

tomkb
Premium Member
Tampa, FL

tomkb

Premium Member

It's not a P2P circuit. It's 10Mbps of Internet bandwidth at each different data center. It's not hard to test??? It's very easy to test, I'm testing it and these are the results I'm seeing. It seems both companies have screwed up and are allowing me to go beyond 10Mbps.
elnino
join:2006-08-27
Akron, OH

elnino

said by tomkb:

It's not a P2P circuit. It's 10Mbps of Internet bandwidth at each different data center. It's not hard to test??? It's very easy to test, I'm testing it and these are the results I'm seeing. It seems both companies have screwed up and are allowing me to go beyond 10Mbps.

Maybe they're billing/bandwidth allocation based on 95th percentile

tomkb
Premium Member
Tampa, FL

tomkb

Premium Member

Hope not, our proposal was for non burstable, non percentile charges.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer

Premium Member

Well, enjoy their screwup until they notice and fix it. (just don't get used to it.)

[Verizon did the same here... what was supposed the be a 6M DS3 was a full rate DS3 for over a year. They eventually figured out the magic number to get the DSUs in sync :-( (that number is documented as footnote in a single document at Cisco, unrelated to any of the equipment being used.)]

tomkb
Premium Member
Tampa, FL

tomkb

Premium Member

thanks to all, we'll see what happens. Hard to believe 2 different companies screw this up on each side.