IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to Robert

Premium Member

to Robert

Re: Tornados & House Structure Question..

I am surprised the building codes in tornado alley (Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas in particular) don't require basements or other underground tornado shelter in those areas, even if it's a storm cellar. Florida has building codes that require that buildings be designed to withstand hurricanes. I visited a Lowe's when I was down in Florida last year and they sold building materials that were specific to that area such as steel reinforced doors and hurricane shutters.

When the tornado hit Springfield, MA last year, there was only 3 fatalities even though it was a strong F3 tornado that hit an urban area. Most buildings around here have basements AND the area does not have functional sirens AND is not accustomed to tornadoes. I know tornadoes very well having grown up in Iowa.

marigolds
Gainfully employed, finally
MVM
join:2002-05-13
Saint Louis, MO

marigolds

MVM

said by IowaCowboy:

When the tornado hit Springfield, MA last year, there was only 3 fatalities even though it was a strong F3 tornado that hit an urban area. Most buildings around here have basements AND the area does not have functional sirens AND is not accustomed to tornadoes. I know tornadoes very well having grown up in Iowa.

Most of St Louis does not have basements. We had an F4 plow a 22 mile path through a dense urban area last year. No fatalities. No serious injuries. The difference between and F4 and an F5 is dramatic.

A non
@151.190.0.x

A non to IowaCowboy

Anon

to IowaCowboy
I don't understand why they don't use steel roll-up shutters over windows in hurricane areas. It seems like it would pay for itself in time and money the first time you would normally put plywood over all your windows.

But then what would the news channels show to hype their hurricane coverage? People pushing a button and the shutters rolling down?

panth1
The Coyote
join:2000-12-11
Port Saint Lucie, FL

panth1

Lots of houses and businesses have roll up shutters in Florida.

The main problem is they cost a lot more than the alternative wood or steel panels. Some people like the easy of closing them while others may balk at the look of tracks and a big box at the top of the window/door. Some opening may also not allow for a installation and electric runs.

Impact glass is also becoming more popular in new construction.

aannoonn
@optonline.net

aannoonn

Anon

Click for full size
Click for full size
said by panth1:

Lots of houses and businesses have roll up shutters in Florida.

The main problem is they cost a lot more than the alternative wood or steel panels. Some people like the easy of closing them while others may balk at the look of tracks and a big box at the top of the window/door. Some opening may also not allow for a installation and electric runs.

I visited a town in France where roll-up shutters are required by code (although they're vinyl, not steel). The mechanism is installed entirely within the wall of the structure and you can't even tell it's there. Push one button, and all the shutters roll down in seconds. They even have big ones that cover sliding doors, and you can't tell they're there.

The houses in France are made using some type of building block. They love them. They can't burn. They laugh at us for the number of house fires we have.

Every window and glass door in the above photos is protected by a roll-up shutter. You can't even see them. And the house is constructed of a material which cannot burn.