uniqs
share rss forum feed

fundamentals
The Basics
Premium
join:2004-04-30
Moorpark, CA

Kayaking Tips?

A friend and I were hoping to try out kayaking, and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or experiences with it. Are there any particularly good places to go to? Also, is it easy enough for first timers to go out and just do it, or is this something that one would need lessons for. I guess we're just looking for a fun way to spend a few hours on a Saturday / Sunday afternoon.

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-27
Springfield, VA
kudos:2

»dc.about.com/od/boating/a/Kayaking.htm

If you are just looking for something light then check out Potomac River Kayaking. I think for first timers that would be a fairly easy outing.

»www.trailvoice.com/washington-dc···orgetown

fundamentals
The Basics
Premium
join:2004-04-30
Moorpark, CA

The kayak monument tour sounds interesting. Have you ever tried it?

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-27
Springfield, VA
kudos:2

No, I've done it in a power boat and a sail boat though. I have gone kayaking up in the Shenandoah river and it was cool. First time out in a kayak and I could handle class 2 rapids better than in a canoe.

KoolMoe
Aw Man
Premium
join:2001-02-14
Annapolis, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to fundamentals

IMO, as one who's done a lot of whitewater canoing but just a little flatwater kayaking...
It depends overall how comfortable you are with such vessels and around the water in general.
If very comfortable and confident, sure, try some light rapids with the kayak.
In unsure, start with flatwater.
Biggest thing with kayaks is it's easy to tip and fairly easy to roll. KNOW how to rollout if you flip. You do NOT want to get caught in a backwash and not know how to roll.

Not trying to be freaky, but whitewater has hazards.
Check this - (first I've seen it but a good list):
»www.performancevideo.com/river_hazards

Have a nice, fairly easy bay nearby? Do that. Enjoy an easy paddle through the marshes. Get comfortable...
Just don't jump in higher-class rapids without being VERY comfortable (lessons can't hurt).

All that said, shooting class 5 rapids is pretty damn awesome (at least, in a canoe with a competent bowman
KM
--
Don't Lie - Be Kind - Realize your Potential

join:2012-04-12
Latonia, KY
reply to fundamentals

I would suggest you that Using the dock edge to steady you, swing one foot then quickly the other into the center of the cockpit, it will keep you safe and you can paddle so easily.

ocean kayak