56 Years of Tornado Tracking Data

Jason
Stowage Class Traveler
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-24
38.2967 Lat
kudos:3
Pretty telling map, there...

I've had to hunker down once, many moons ago when I was a young lad visiting in Huntsville, Alabama, during the late summer.. Went to a basement shelter in a Library.

Thats as close to a Tornado as I've ever been..

Living on the western edge of California, However.. Well.. FWIW, I'd rather take tornadoes than earthquakes.. At least theres a bit of a warning..
--
When cryptography is outlawed, bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir cevinpl.

nelamvr6
High-End Headphoniac
Premium
join:2000-11-28
New London, CT
reply to Nightwing
That shows me it's not such a good idea to live in the midwest...

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
reply to Nightwing
interesting. there seems to be an F5 line right across florida, starting from home.
--
| map your city |

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Nightwing
Odd. Seems like eastern Kentucky and West Virginia and Virginia are the safe places to be! That's if you want to avoid the wild wild west.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL
Reviews:
·Charter
·AT&T Southeast
reply to Nightwing
At age 60, having lived 99% of my life in Ga and Al, I have dodged many a tornado. One of the most memorable days of my life was in the spring of 1976. I was in school at The University of Alabama. Twenty-three tornadoes set down in Tuscaloosa County that day. Seven of those hit right where I was. It was stressful.

Tim
--
"Life is like this long line, except at the end there ain't no merry-go-round." - Arthur on The King of Queens
~ Project Hope ~

boognish
Premium
join:2001-09-26
Baton Rouge, LA
kudos:6
reply to J E F F
said by J E F F:

Odd. Seems like eastern Kentucky and West Virginia and Virginia are the safe places to be! That's if you want to avoid the wild wild west.

Not sure what you mean about the wild wild west, but the mountains in that area probably slow down or stop tornadoes.
--
don't get 2 close 2 my fantasy

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to Nightwing
you can tell though that warning systems have improved over the decades just by the fact average injury and death tolls are lower.

what kinda surprises me is seeing a few F5 lines in the Northeastern region, I know F0 and F1 are not at all impossible here though.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to Nightwing
When I was 8 an F4 came by our farm. It went right through one of our barns. Completely demolished it. Besides the barn we lost 4 horses and a few dozen pigs. We found 3 of the horses dead from a few hundred feet to about a mile away. We never found the 4th horse or most of the pigs. The tornado also tossed around a couple empty grain wagons and ripped off a lot of the shingles on the house and blew out half the windows. Lost several trees also.

It was the most awesome and also most terrifying experience of my life.

Noah Vail
Son made my Avatar
Premium
join:2004-12-10
Lorton, VA
Reviews:
·Bright House

1 edit
reply to Nightwing
Outstanding Find.

That F5 line in Florida has my attention - goes right over just south of my house.

Edit: It's an F4.
»www.tornadohistoryproject.com/to···404.12.1

Astounding that it cut across the entire state. Not the 1st one either.

--
The Dark Tower's Skynet evolves from 4chan.

Noah Vail
Son made my Avatar
Premium
join:2004-12-10
Lorton, VA
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to thegeek
said by thegeek:

It was the most awesome and also most terrifying experience of my life.

I've always wanted to see one. See != Experience.

After go-carting all night I left my best friend in a barn to drive home and fuel the cart back up.
He fell asleep there. I burned my hand at home and fell asleep while soaking it in ice water.

He was woken up when a tornado started ripping the roof sheeting off the barn.
The barn was only about 30' tall and open down one side; so it was an up-close experience for him.

I never even realized there was a storm till he showed up, ready to loosen my teeth.
Since he could change car engines w/o a hoist, I took his feelings seriously.
--
The Dark Tower's Skynet evolves from 4chan.

Skipdawg
The Original
Premium,ExMod 2001-03
join:2001-04-19
Mount Vernon, WA
reply to Nightwing
That is very interesting.

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
reply to Noah Vail
Topographically speaking, Kansas + palm trees = Florida. I'd be surprised if there weren't at least one or two tracks, even with water on three sides.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to Nightwing
Having lived the first 18 years of my life in Iowa, I have luckily have not been very close to a tornado, although tornado warnings were very common and we had tornado sirens courtesy of the nuke plant (NRC requires warning sirens within 10 mile radius of the plant, operator allowed the county to use them for tornado warnings in addition to plant meltdown).

Moved to Springfield, MA in 2002 and severe weather was not as common. Fast forward to June 1st, 2011 the city I live in took a direct hit from an F3 tornado. Tornado sirens (dating back to the cold war) fell into disrepair and the city abandoned the system. There were only 2 fatalities despite this area being unaccustomed to tornadoes but Joplin, MO (has tornado sirens and in tornado alley) had 150 plus fatalities a week prior to Springfield.

2011 was a bad year for tornadoes (Joplin, Western Massachusetts, Tuscaloosa) and a bad year for me (was involved in major car accident involving a drunk driver).

I was at the Holyoke Mall when the Springfield tornado hit, took shelter in the food court (in the lowest level).