r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984 to cramer

Premium Member

to cramer

Re: NVG510 - Doesn't Work Anymore - Fix or Replace?

That is funny.
If you look at the router logs, it is 100% clear they run linux.
They also have the "GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE" linked in the router so they are well aware of releasing the source code.
said by from modem page :
For example, if you distribute copies of such a program, whether gratis or for a fee, you must give the recipients all the rights that you have. You must make sure that they, too, receive or can get the source code. And you must show them these terms so they know their rights.
We protect your rights with two steps: (1) copyright the software, and (2) offer you this license which gives you legal permission to copy, distribute and/or modify the software.
Does anyone know where from ATT you can get the source code?
It looks like we should be able to fix the programming in the software ourselves.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer

Premium Member

Good luck with that. While your at it, ask Cisco for the linux software for their broadcom based VDSL modules. (runs an embedded linux.) And ask netgear ala MontaVista where the source is for the "GPL" broadcom SoC driver in their 24-48 port switches. (the module clearly says "GPL", but they don't include the source anywhere.) I could add more examples, but you can tell there are *lots* of people ignoring the GPL.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984

Premium Member

After I get my problem fixed or modem replaced I will ask for the source code.
Ill ask through both ATT and Motorola just to see what they say.
r81984

r81984 to cramer

Premium Member

to cramer
said by cramer:

Good luck with that. While your at it, ask Cisco for the linux software for their broadcom based VDSL modules. (runs an embedded linux.) And ask netgear ala MontaVista where the source is for the "GPL" broadcom SoC driver in their 24-48 port switches. (the module clearly says "GPL", but they don't include the source anywhere.) I could add more examples, but you can tell there are *lots* of people ignoring the GPL.

It looks like they did release the source code.
»sourceforge.net/projects ··· a/files/