uniqs

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

[iPad] WiFi iPad & GPS

Is it possible for a WiFi only iPad to use the GPS chip of an iPhone to which it's tethered to by either WiFi or Bluetooth?

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

I dont think so, I'll test it out though

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to HiVolt

MVM

to HiVolt
If you jailbreak you can use a Bluetooth GPS with an additional software package.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· LPcGarvI

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

I dont want to use a BT GPS, i'd like to use the iPhone's. I wonder if there is a JB solution to this.
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon

Premium Member

said by HiVolt:

I dont want to use a BT GPS, i'd like to use the iPhone's. I wonder if there is a JB solution to this.

All you need is a JB app that turns the iPhone into a BT GPS.

Shrapnel64
Premium Member
join:2001-01-24
VA, USA

Shrapnel64 to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Is it possible for a WiFi only iPad to use the GPS chip of an iPhone to which it's tethered to by either WiFi or Bluetooth?

The short answer is yes, it does work when a Wifi only iPad is tethered to an iPhone.

When an iPad is tethered to an iPhone, a different symbol appears (a chain if you will). Based on this, it is able to use the GPS signal from the phone (Internet as well), but only if you have the Tethering/Personal Hotspot feature enabled.

You cannot (at least I haven't been able to), pair (via Bluetooth) the iPhone with an iPad without the Personal Hotspot feature (making the Wifi just as useless).

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Question is... Is it using the GPS, or "wifi geolocation" The map updates because it has internet from the iphone, but it could just be using wifi geolocation (skyhook) or something of the sort.

Ie, does the "dot" on maps move smoothly as it does on the iPhone, or does it jump....