uniqs

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

So I have been up since 2:45

For a scheduled bug fix install. 3 of them. Database back up is going and has since about 3:15. I should have set an alarm for 4 and laid down. I still have about 1.5 hours of work after the back up finishes.

Just sharing.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

You're not going to get any sympathy from me

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
Hahaha your probably watching reruns of The Brady Bunch in some foreign language your so bored.

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

We used to watch shows from the PVR when we were up feeding. Two takes longer. Then when they started sleeping 7 or 8 hours at 3 months, we were fine.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

LOL me either. Back in my regular days of hands on IT, it wouldn't be uncommon to go 50+ straight hours of work for serious projects or issues.

I once read of a South Korean who died after 50 hours of straight online gaming with few breaks... I was jealous, he had breaks... and was gaming!
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned)

Ouch.... that would be NO fun....

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

LOL me either. Back in my regular days of hands on IT, it wouldn't be uncommon to go 50+ straight hours of work for serious projects or issues.

Pfft, that's outright delightful. Dealing with a screaming baby since 3AM and being awake until after midnight 21 hours because he feels poorly after his first vaccinations... kill me. Please.

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

said by Gone:

I once read of a South Korean who died after 50 hours of straight online gaming with few breaks... I was jealous, he had breaks... and was gaming!

This is actually only the second job in about 15 years that I have had regular overnight installs. The other job lasted 3 months, this one is almost 5. I left the pager upstairs and it went off with another issue. My wife was not happy. Then they called my home number, she is not happy again.

Since one of the change windows is Saturday 00:00 to 17:00 and that interferes with cottage season, she is going to be pushing me to get a different job. These installs were not mentioned before I started, other than a "occasionally there is after hours work". There always is, but since I started someone has been doing Thursday AM and Saturday AM installs every week.

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16

koira

Premium Member

be thankful you have a job

Clipper
join:2002-05-23
Stoney Creek, ON

Clipper to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by urbanriot:

Pfft, that's outright delightful. Dealing with a screaming baby since 3AM and being awake until after midnight 21 hours because he feels poorly after his first vaccinations... kill me. Please.

I have my second child on the way, due in late August.

I'm absolutely dreading the first few months. It's hell. Last time it stressed me, the wife, the marriage... and I can only imagine what's it going to be like this time for the 2 year old suddenly having to share mommy, to whom she's extremely attached.

Yeah, I know it's worth it in the end, but those first few months, it sure doesn't feel like it.

For me personally, it's really tough. I work my 40ish hour work week at my full time, and then Friday and Saturday night, it's my turn to get up over night... Friday nights are the worst as after I'm done working, I usually get about an hour at home, them I'm off to the hockey rink to ref for anywhere from 3 to 5 hours. Then up a few times that night and the following one feeding the little one, then back to work for another week....

Sigh.... It's all worth it in the end. My wife and daughter are the best things in my life right now, so adding another is going to be great.. If it just wasn't for those first few months of hell.

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

Try getting the older one to move over to you a bit. Do some special things, can be anything. Whenever mommy is not home the girls and I are "goofing off". Of course that can be anything and the girls have always been a little more attached to me, except when they are sick or hurt. Always a mommy situation.

I have recommended this before, Twelve Hours Sleep by Twelve Weeks, is a great book (and short, read it in two hours) that gives a step by step plan to get the title result. The girls were born Aug 5 and we did not even start until September and they were sleeping all night in October. I do not mean 5 hours by "all night" like a lot of parents do, I mean 7 or 8. Later, and for years, they slept about 12 hours, had a 1 hour nap and a 2 hour nap in the day and only 4 feedings per day.

Others have used this and it works. It does not work for those parents who follow the "let the child find their own rhythm and do their own thing" ideal. Those people are nuts.

Clipper
join:2002-05-23
Stoney Creek, ON

Clipper

said by donoreo:

Try getting the older one to move over to you a bit. Do some special things, can be anything. Whenever mommy is not home the girls and I are "goofing off". Of course that can be anything and the girls have always been a little more attached to me, except when they are sick or hurt. Always a mommy situation.

I have recommended this before, Twelve Hours Sleep by Twelve Weeks, is a great book

The problem is, my wife is a stay at home mom, she she's with the my daughter all the time... when I'm home I try and make time for the both of us, and I'll take her to the park, (right behind our house), so she does like spending time with me and is soooo happy to see me when I get home.. but mommy leaves the house without her? Forget it.. crying fits, yelling screaming. It subsides after 10-15 minutes usually.

The book seemed like a good idea. I actually looked into getting it because of a recommendation I saw from you to someone else a while back. While we didn't end up getting it, I think we used a similar method.. we didn't exactly use the cry it out method.. but both of us are pretty comfortable once we fall asleep and don't want to get up.. So there was more than a handful of times where the baby would cry for 4 or 5 minutes before we'd get up.. and our bed time routine was pretty rigid too... once she was put down, she wasn't picked back up, except for a few cases where you knew she wasn't going to console herself back to sleep. You can tell the difference between a 'There's something wrong' cry and 'I just want to be held' cry. It worked wonders for us and she was sleeping through the night within 2 months I think. By the time she was 6 months, she was sleeping for 12 hours.

I think the added parts of us not jumping to her side and picking her up the instant cried starting teaching her at an early age to soothe herself back to sleep. Once you starting reading about how babies sleep, you realize that they have a very short sleep cycle and soon as they come out of that deep sleep, they'll stir and wake up... they need to learn how to go back to sleep instead of staying awake. They'll never learn if you jump and pick up them up the instant they start to stir.

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

That is part of what they cover in the book. The author suggests that if you do need to go in, to avoid picking them up, but to touch them, rub their belly, etc.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by donoreo:

That is part of what they cover in the book. The author suggests that if you do need to go in, to avoid picking them up, but to touch them, rub their belly, etc.

I've found that this works best with Willy, so long as he isn't rousing because he's hungry. If he's hungry not even picking him up will stop him from crying.

That's really the only time he cries, though. The last two nights have been tough though because of the effects of the vaccine. We've needed to resort to having him sleep in bed between us to get him to even so much as quiet down.

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by Gone:

said by donoreo:

I've found that this works best with Willy, so long as he isn't rousing because he's hungry. If he's hungry not even picking him up will stop him from crying.

That's really the only time he cries, though. The last two nights have been tough though because of the effects of the vaccine. We've needed to resort to having him sleep in bed between us to get him to even so much as quiet down.

Vaccinations always mess things up. I was trying to comfort Chloe one night after hers and we ended up asleep on the couch with her drooling on my chest.
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

Compelling reason if I ever saw for getting a vasectomy.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by mr weather:

Compelling reason if I ever saw for getting a vasectomy.

Naw. Despite occasionally freaking out at work and seeing flashes in the corner of my eye, it's the best thing that's ever happened to me and worth every moment of it.

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON

Mike2009

Why are you freaking out at work and seeing flashes in the corner of your eye?

Devanchya
Smile
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Ajax, ON

Devanchya to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
The joys of it work... We have all been there.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Mike2009

Premium Member

to Mike2009
said by Mike2009:

It's called lack of sleep.

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member

koira

Premium Member

said by Gone:

said by Mike2009:

oh ya
I have fond memories of our son waking me up three and four times a night. At the time I was supervising a production line in a union shop. Tough to meet the quota at best of times , combined with a lack of sleep made for some interesting union vs management type conversations.

Mike2009
Ottawa, ON
TP-Link Archer C7
Technicolor DCM476
Grandstream HT701

Mike2009 to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by Mike2009:

I have two kids and had years of sleepless nights. I couldn't freak out at work when it was happening but I understand where you're coming from. You mentioned having the baby in bed with you. Not a great idea. Those who I know who did that had the kids joining them in bed for years.
Mike2009

Mike2009 to koira

to koira
said by koira:

said by Gone:

said by Mike2009:

oh ya
I have fond memories of our son waking me up three and four times a night. At the time I was supervising a production line in a union shop. Tough to meet the quota at best of times , combined with a lack of sleep made for some interesting union vs management type conversations.

I really had to control myself in meetings with staff. It could have gotten ugly.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Mike2009

Premium Member

to Mike2009
said by Mike2009:

]I have two kids and had years of sleepless nights. I couldn't freak out at work when it was happening but I understand where you're coming from. You mentioned having the baby in bed with you. Not a great idea. Those who I know who did that had the kids joining them in bed for years.

He's nine weeks old. It's not a regular occurrence.

I don't exactly freak out, I just have far less patience for bullshit than I usually do.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by Gone:

said by Mike2009:

]I have two kids and had years of sleepless nights. I couldn't freak out at work when it was happening but I understand where you're coming from. You mentioned having the baby in bed with you. Not a great idea. Those who I know who did that had the kids joining them in bed for years.

I don't exactly freak out, I just have far less patience for bullshit than I usually do.

Really, wow that must be it's just about ZERO

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member

koira to Mike2009

Premium Member

to Mike2009
said by Mike2009:

I really had to control myself in meetings with staff. It could have gotten ugly.

my place was ugly with good nights sleep, then that much worse without enough sleep.

Mike2009
Ottawa, ON
TP-Link Archer C7
Technicolor DCM476
Grandstream HT701

Mike2009 to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by Mike2009:

That's understandable. In order to keep our sanity we each took turns waking up with the babies. That way one of us was rested.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by Mike2009:

That's understandable. In order to keep our sanity we each took turns waking up with the babies. That way one of us was rested.

My wife takes care of him at night during the week as I need to be at the store, but I still end up waking up because I'm a light sleeper and even the slightest bit of noise wakes me up. On weekends when I'm not working I take the night shifts.

Mike2009
Ottawa, ON

Mike2009

That's what we did too.

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

So I had to start some work at midnight. Then I got paged 10 minutes after getting into bed. Now I am about to start a couple of hours of work now.

I have had such a nice IT career without this until now.