uniqs
share rss forum feed

mario02423

join:2004-06-09
Berwyn, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

[Business] Business Class in Chicago?

I live in a residential area (Berwyn), and I have the Comcast Residential HSI 50Mbit package now. I loathe their support. I have spoken with a Business Class representative -- he was able to answer all of my questions, and I'd like to reach out to you folk for speed comparisons. On my residential package, I pay for 50/10 and receive about 62/11. I've seen numerous YouTube reviews of Business Class where users pay for 12/2 (or whatever the "starter" package it); however, they're pulling in similar speeds at a more consistent rate than I am... Can anyone attest to this? Any Chicagolanders have a Business Class review that I could mill over? I'd appreciate it.

Thank you!

scooby
Premium
join:2001-05-01
Schaumburg, IL
kudos:1

After powerboost finishes (first 100mb i think), 12/2 is pretty consistent.

Clever_Proxy
Premium
join:2004-05-14
Villa Park, IL

My experience is the same. I have quite a few accounts using Comcast Business class and if the signals are good on the modem, it's a halfway decent service.

nysports4evr
Premium
join:2010-01-23
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to mario02423

said by mario02423:

On my residential package, I pay for 50/10 and receive about 62/11. I've seen numerous YouTube reviews of Business Class where users pay for 12/2 (or whatever the "starter" package it); however, they're pulling in similar speeds at a more consistent rate than I am...

This is just PowerBoost. Business class connections are able to boost much higher than residential class connections, but you're not going to get over your sustained rates, whatever you may be paying for.

mario02423

Berwyn, IL
reply to mario02423

Thanks all. I appreciate it.

mario02423

Berwyn, IL
reply to mario02423

FYI, I signed the contract today. I'll post my results as they come!

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to mario02423

loathe their support? phone (CAEs) or techs?

how often are you needing support?
is it connection issues?
speed?
--
I'm better than you!

mario02423

Berwyn, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

Considering it took three phone reps and two online chats to get my modem set correctly from Blast to X50, I feel justified using the term "loathe."

We can add personal reps to the list, too... Let's not forget that my HD DVR has a bad HDMI port, and I the counter rep told me the service center doesn't distribute those DVR boxes, even though I picked it up four days prior at the same service center.

I'm no longer needing support -- I have waited my week and have a tech coming out tomorrow; however, I doubt I'll be keeping the TV service after I've washed my hands of Residential HSI.

mario02423

Berwyn, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to mario02423

Just updating the world.

Business Class is officially installed. I won't rant too much for fear of being off-topic, but the installation was certainly not worth the money. The tech ended up leaving a coax cable running from the only outlet for the coax (which was in the living room) through a hallway under a carpet into the room I wanted my modem in. I was kind of expecting someone to run an actual new outlet (through the wall, ceiling, or outside of the building); however, I was told by the tech and by a tele-supporter that it is an extra charge and generally not performed by Comcast. I call bull, but I'm running a new cable outside of my residence because it's cheaper than hiring someone else to do it.

It was literally running a splitter ('cuz I still have the TV service) and a cable across two rooms, plugging in the modem, and making a 30 minute phone call. I wasn't even left with the Welcome Kit or a telephone number for support. A bit upsetting.

Rant over.

On to speeds -- I signed up for the 12/2 package, and I hit Power Boosted speeds of around 93Mbps down, and I pull a steady 50 Mbps after the Power Boost. It ends up being right around 6MB/s downloads, which is waaaay more than I'm paying for, and about what I was getting on my Residential account. I get about 20 Mbps upload -- that doesn't seem to Power Boost at all. I've tried sending various-sized files and still see the same numbers. I'm pleased.

Called to cancel my Residential internet, and because I was one service short of the "Double Play" (without the internet) my cable bill was going back up to $65/mo. I canceled it (thank goodness I was within my 30-day grace period) and washed my hands of the Residential account altogether.

Thank for the encouragement, guys. I think I'm in safe(r) hands now.