spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

lmacmil

join:2001-01-26
South Bend, IN

[DVR] Any advantages to a newer Comcast remote?

I have a 6+ year old Motorola 3416 DVR with Comcast remote. I cannot get it to control my 2 year old Yamaha AV receiver with the codes suggested in the manual. Wondering if a more recent remote (I am assuming I can take mine to the Comcast store and exchange it) might allow me to control the receiver on/off and volume functions.

Alternatively, any good universal remotes that are less expensive than the Logitech Harmony models? I only have the Yamaha receiver, Moto DVR and Samsung BluRay player.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

at the same time swap out for a newer DRV with a bigger HDD.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15

2 edits
reply to lmacmil

A lot of the latest equipment use the newer XMP IR remote protocol.

I don't know if you were to get a newer Comcast remote that works with the latest Motorola equipment that it may be able to control XMP remote code equipment. Whether it would be able to also control your older DVR is another question, though.

You can see the different Comcast remotes here: »customer.comcast.com/Pages/FAQVi···=Remotes

I know that the Platinum/Dark Silver one works with Cisco STBs/DVRs.

lmacmil

join:2001-01-26
South Bend, IN
reply to Joe12345678

said by Joe12345678:

at the same time swap out for a newer DRV with a bigger HDD.

Pretty sure they only use Motorola in my area. Do they even have something with a HD larger than 160GB?

cast sucks

@dsl.net

South Bend is the same as Chicago land without the Chicago locals but you do get CLTV.

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL
reply to lmacmil

said by lmacmil:

Wondering if a more recent remote (I am assuming I can take mine to the Comcast store and exchange it) might allow me to control the receiver on/off and volume functions.

Since the Platinum remote is a newer model, but IS interchangable with the Silver remote, (at least for Moto boxes) it might be worth a (free) shot to give it a try.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

1 edit
reply to lmacmil

Check out the RCA RCRP05B. It's a universal remote that also has learning. Out-of-the-box, it's set up for a Motorola DVR and even has an OnDemand key. It supports 5 devices, although it didn't support my Sony BD player as-is.

It's also a JP1.x remote, so you can program it with your computer using a USB cable adapter you can buy. You can find info about it here:
»www.hifi-remote.com/forums/

I should also mention that the same cable can be used to program the Comcast remote. You can add an upgrade to support your receiver.

kb1

join:2008-11-15
South Bend, IN
reply to lmacmil

Imacmil, Go to the Comcast payment center on McKinley Ave.
and ask for the Motorola DCX3501 RNG200N. I got one in Dec.
It has a 500GB drive. It is the newest Motorola box in the
Chicagoland area.