uniqs

cp
Premium Member
join:2004-05-14
Wheaton, IL

cp

Premium Member

[IPv6] IPv6 Comcast Business Deployment

Does anyone know when Comcast will start deploying IPv6 for business class users?

Any idea when they will start handing out statics for it?

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

1 recommendation

ropeguru

Premium Member

Never and never?

Honestly, they have been on mute about IPv6 to the HIGHER PAYING business class customers. You would think they would be working with their HIGHER PAYING business class customers as more of a priority as they would have more of a need over an end user.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

1 recommendation

tshirt

Premium Member

I think part of that is that "HIGHER PAYING business class customers" are going to demand it works, first time, every time, with full support.
Most business customers aren't interested in being beta testers, and CC is still feeling it's way through deployment and likely still roughing out the additional training that Business CSR's will need to promptly help their customers with ANY problem.

You could inquire in the direct forum, but these things take whatever time they take, so a firm commitment is unlikely.

jlivingood
Premium Member
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA

1 recommendation

jlivingood to cp

Premium Member

to cp
said by cp:

Does anyone know when Comcast will start deploying IPv6 for business class users

We are working on it - and it'll still be a bit of time yet. We're awaiting updated firmware for the newer devices that could support v6.

cp
Premium Member
Wheaton, IL

cp

Premium Member

Thank you jlivingood!
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss to jlivingood

Premium Member

to jlivingood
If a customer is subscribed to business HSI but using a traditional modem such as a SB6120 will it receive an IPv6 address when it is enabled in an area for residential? Just wondering if the distinction is tied to the actual service subscribed or the actual device in use.

jlivingood
Premium Member
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA

jlivingood

Premium Member

said by AVonGauss:

If a customer is subscribed to business HSI but using a traditional modem such as a SB6120 will it receive an IPv6 address when it is enabled in an area for residential? Just wondering if the distinction is tied to the actual service subscribed or the actual device in use.

That may do the trick - give it a try... (and let me know the results)
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss

Premium Member

Nothing in Boynton Beach yet, but I did hook up a DIR-825 just in case it decides to make an appearance.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 recommendation

NetFixer to jlivingood

Premium Member

to jlivingood
said by jlivingood:

[We're awaiting updated firmware for the newer devices that could support v6.

Hmm, does that mean that after the recent botched 3.1.4.51.1 firmware "upgrade" (which was reported to include "hidden" IPv6 capability) to the SMCD3G-CCR, Comcast is investigating routers from other vendors?

scooby
Premium Member
join:2001-05-01
Schaumburg, IL

scooby to jlivingood

Premium Member

to jlivingood
Last time I tried, I was able to get an IPv6 IP via DHCP while having Comcast Business and the SB6120. Its been a month or two but I would assume it still works.

cp
Premium Member
Wheaton, IL

1 recommendation

cp

Premium Member

Any dates on this yet?

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to ropeguru

to ropeguru
said by ropeguru:

Never and never?

Honestly, they have been on mute about IPv6 to the HIGHER PAYING business class customers. You would think they would be working with their HIGHER PAYING business class customers as more of a priority as they would have more of a need over an end user.

Except its possible that there are more residental customers then business customers whos collective payments are greater then that of business customers? I dunno, just a possibility. I do hope the business customers get the good stuff too so they'll be happy.
Mike Wolf

1 edit

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf to tshirt

to tshirt
I agree that the business customers possibly may have greater expectations to the quality and stability of their service compared to that of residental customers who also have high expectations but might be more forgiving?

I think the reason why they don't do the business class first is because they don't want to screw up the productivity of businesses who rely heavily on the internet, in case something goes wrong. Testing things out with residential customers first will allow them to fix any problems that arise without causing businesses to lose a boat load of money because of an outage. Being a lab rat is a two way street, can either go well or horribly horribly wrong. »www.multichannel.com/art ··· itch.php »www.eedailynews.com/2012 ··· -of.html