spc
Search similar:

uniqs

LouReed9
join:2002-08-17
Levittown, PA

LouReed9

HBO GO not available from Comcast?

HBO GO for Roku and other streaming media players seems to be available from every cable company on the planet but Comcast. Anyone know why?
mariod
join:2009-06-16

mariod

You're doing something wrong.

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut
join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

FifthE1ement to LouReed9

to LouReed9
said by LouReed9:

HBO GO for Roku and other streaming media players seems to be available from every cable company on the planet but Comcast. Anyone know why?

Yes you are right and no you're not doing anything wrong. Comcast blocks HBOGo on anything but the Xbox 360 and PC. If you have a Roku or Samsung Smart TV you are out of luck. There are multiple forum posts on Comcast forums and elsewhere so you should go make your voice heard on there:

Samsung Smart TV Comcast HBO Go thread:
»forums.comcast.com/t5/Xf ··· /1204673

Roku Comcast HBO Go thread:
»forums.comcast.com/t5/Xf ··· /1100271

Thanks,

5th

LouReed9
Levittown, PA

LouReed9

Will do! Thanks for the info.
mariod

2 edits

mariod to FifthE1ement

to FifthE1ement
He said "streaming media players".

You said "Comcast blocks HBOGo on anything but the Xbox 360 and PC".

Xbox, laptops, pcs, and tablets are all streaming video players where you can access HBOGo as a comcast subscriber.

CableHelp
@comcast.net

CableHelp to FifthE1ement

Anon

to FifthE1ement
You can also get HBO GO on Google TV.

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut
Fort Lauderdale, FL

FifthE1ement to mariod

to mariod
No offense to you or your post but I understood what he meant. Maybe you did too and you just wanted to be a smart ass but either way the issue is solved.

Also just an FYI HBO Go considers streaming media players as Xbox 360, Roku and Samsung Smart TV. This is not me saying it but rather them. I know Android, PCs, Google TV (extension of Android) can do HBO Go too but they don't require a special HBO Go "streaming device activation".

5TH
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

1 edit

rody_44

Premium Member

Im lost to. What good is hbogo to a roku user? Its not like i use a roku box to stream to my computer and if i subscribe to hbo i can get it streaming without a roku. I dont see why anyone would need or use it with a roku box. the Op says hbotogo isnt available with comcast, pretty sure it is.
Zoder
join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL

Zoder

I would guess so they can watch HBO Go content on their television.

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut
Fort Lauderdale, FL

FifthE1ement to rody_44

to rody_44
said by rody_44:

Im lost to. What good is hbogo to a roku user? Its not like i use a roku box to stream to my computer and if i subscribe to hbo i can get it streaming without a roku. I dont see why anyone would need or use it with a roku box. the Op says hbotogo isnt available with comcast, pretty sure it is.

Where have you been for the last two years? Roku lets you play Angry Birds on your TV, it plays just about any TV streaming app available, games, etc... You are lost...

Yes you can get HBO Go streaming without a Roku. You have to have a cable or satellite package and a login from your provider. You can then login and access HBO Go content but it will be from your TV. If you have a Samsung Smart TV, Roku or Xbox 360 you used to be out of luck with Comcast even-though all the other providers allowed use via their medias. After a public outcry Comcast caved and allowed Xbox 360 to be used but now Comcast users, like myself, are fighting to allow HBO Go content on Roku and Samsung Smart TVs.

5th
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

I think i have it now. I have a roku but i dont subscribe to hbo. Or i think i understand. I just couldnt understand why i wouldnt be able to get hbo on either if i subscribed to hbo. If i understand correctly its a cable card thing. I dont subscribe to hbo but i often use hbogo under my brothers account on my computer which is thru comcast. I use the shit out of my roku but not for hbo.

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut
Fort Lauderdale, FL

FifthE1ement

said by rody_44:

I think i have it now. I have a roku but i dont subscribe to hbo. Or i think i understand. I just couldnt understand why i wouldnt be able to get hbo on either if i subscribed to hbo. If i understand correctly its a cable card thing. I dont subscribe to hbo but i often use hbogo under my brothers account on my computer which is thru comcast. I use the shit out of my roku but not for hbo.

No, it has nothing to do with cable card. Say you sign up for HBO from Comcast, you have a login from Comcast for your normal account. Now if you want to use HBO Go you simply use your Comcast login on HBO Go website and they will authorize you based on your Comcast account having HBO Go. Now as for Roku, Samsung Smart TVs and Xbox 360 they require activation via the HBO Go website:

»www.hbogo.com/activate/#devices

The problem like I said before is that the Roku and Samsung Smart TV are both not on Comcast's approved list of devices that can use HBO Go, even-though most other carriers allow use of them.

Also HBO Go will only authorize so many computers or devices. EG: If you shared your brothers HBO Go account with others on the net you would be blocked fairly quickly but if you used a mix of your Android phone, Xbox 360, PC streaming, etc would be considered normal usage.

5th
mariod

mariod to FifthE1ement

to FifthE1ement
said by FifthE1ement:

No offense to you or your post but I understood what he meant. Maybe you did too and you just wanted to be a smart ass but either way the issue is solved.

So, to be clear then: When the OP said "roku and other streaming media devices are blocked by comcast", he was wrong. The truth is only Roku and Samsung TVs are blocked by comcast?

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut
Fort Lauderdale, FL

FifthE1ement

said by mariod:

said by FifthE1ement:

So, to be clear then: When the OP said "roku and other streaming media devices are blocked by comcast", he was wrong. The truth is only Roku and Samsung TVs are blocked by comcast?

Kind of as HBO Go streaming for Xbox 360 had just been enabled by Comcast but otherwise as I said before, "Also just an FYI HBO Go considers streaming media players as Xbox 360, Roku and Samsung Smart TV. This is not me saying it but rather them. I know Android, PCs, Google TV (extension of Android) can do HBO Go too but they don't require a special HBO Go "streaming device activation"." And you're still on this?

5th
mariod

mariod

That's not very clear at all.

It's a yes or no question: Was the OP wrong to imply all streaming media devices are blocked by comcast?

Because that's why I told him "you're doing something wrong". But since he provided no more specifics, I could provide no more specific direction.

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA

markofmayhem

Premium Member

said by mariod:

That's not very clear at all.

It's a yes or no question: Was the OP wrong to imply all streaming media devices are blocked by comcast?

Because that's why I told him "you're doing something wrong". But since he provided no more specifics, I could provide no more specific direction.

said by LouReed9:

HBO GO for Roku and other streaming media players

The OP never said ALL, so:

NO

the op was not wrong. Roku and others are blocked.
mariod

mariod

said by mariod:

Was the OP wrong to imply

said by markofmayhem:

The OP never said

You, too, are doing something wrong.

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut
Fort Lauderdale, FL

FifthE1ement to markofmayhem

to markofmayhem

Can't we all just get along... Fo shizal!

By HBO Go's definition the OP was not wrong as he stated "Roku" in his OG post. I feel like making 50 acronyms today if I can, lol. I know he, "The OP", might have said "other" streaming players but we all knew he MEANT Rku... WHOOPS went to far there "Roku". By your definition you are right that there are "other" streaming media players which are covered but do not require "extra" authorization. So we are all right. TGIF party on me! The thread was answered and let's just let it be for now.

mariod, I like you and many of your posts although we don't always agree, I cite "time-shifting" post as evidence of that, but that is what makes this forum fun to come to. I love arguing technology with people I don't know, lol. Man I missed this site when it was down for which felt like a yr!

mariod if you have Comcrap, whoops made my own one up there, I would invite you to please make a post in the Roku and Samsung Smart TV Comcast forum via the links I posted above so those of us with those services can gain access to something that we already pay for. It's sad to say but Comcast isn't going to do anything about ANYTHING unless we basically hold their b@lls to da fire! markofmayhem, mariod, rody_44 and Zoder thanks again and have a great weekend.

5th *oh no he didn't*
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

Now im lost again. If i subscribe to hbo and dont have a cable card i get hbo ondemand thru my cable box. Why would i want it thru roku?

CableHelp
@comcast.net

CableHelp

Anon

Someone might want HBO GO in another room that doesn't have a cable box, like a bedroom or office. Not everyone wants to rent a cable box for every tv in the home.

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut
Fort Lauderdale, FL

FifthE1ement to rody_44

to rody_44
said by rody_44:

Now im lost again. If i subscribe to hbo and dont have a cable card i get hbo ondemand thru my cable box. Why would i want it thru roku?

Number one reason is that HBO Go has 100% of the HBO catalog, that includes every season and episode of just about every series (Game of Thrones, True Blood, Sopranos, etc.) they have ever made and every movie that is currently playing on HBO. The catalog that is available on your box is approx 25% of everything available from HBO. Number two reason is as CableHelp said that you might not have a box on every TV and this allows you to use HBO Go on your tablet, phone, Samsung Smart TV, Xbox 360, Roku, Notebook and home computers. But like I said before in this post Samsung Smart TV and Roku are out on Comcast as they aren't allowing it yet. Got it now, lol?

5th
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

I kind of understand.
samurai123
join:2007-07-15
Sioux Falls, SD

samurai123 to LouReed9

to LouReed9

Re: HBO GO not available from Comcast?

So what's the reason Comcast isn't allowing HBO GO on Roku or on Samsung TV?

LouReed9
Levittown, PA

LouReed9

From Comcast. 6-12-12:

Thank you for contacting Comcast, home of the Triple Play. You have
reached Xfinity TV email support. My name is Selina and I will do my
best to assist you with your concern.

I understand that you want to know why you cannot access HBO Go on Roku
Player. I know how important it is for you to have the service you want
for you to maximize and enjoy ultimate home entertainment service. I
will be glad to provide the information on your inquiry on accessing
Roku and where you can send your feedback regarding your request.

XXXXXX, I apologize for the inconvenience we are continually evaluating new
platforms to support for our Online TV Partners like Roku, but at this
time have no committed dates to support HBO Go on Roku, Samsung TV?s.
mariod

mariod to samurai123

to samurai123
It costs them money/time to make the software compatible and they don't see an outweighing reason to do it.
psuPete
join:2010-08-09
Lemont, PA

psuPete

I installed HBO GO channel on my Roku. Launching the channel, I pressed BROWSE HBO GO ...

HBO GO does work on the Roku, it just does not authenticate for full featured programming i.e., you can see samples and some full length programs (I do not know if they have been edited). A

So it is not a matter of coding, but of figuring out why making their customers mad is such a great business case.

/Pete
samurai123
Sioux Falls, SD

samurai123

I was told that Comcast is going to allow HBO Go on Roku and currently it's in WIP. Customers will be notified through emails once the process is complete.
mariod

1 recommendation

mariod to psuPete

to psuPete
I don't know what you're trying to say here.

HBO GO being compatible with the software on your device is not Comcast' responsibility.

Its the part where Comcast has to authenticate that they have to make their infrastructure compatible with other devices.

And they either haven't completed that work or haven't been persuaded it was cost effective to do the work necessary to authenticate other devices.
samurai123
Sioux Falls, SD

samurai123 to LouReed9

to LouReed9
Maybe they are trying to get HBO GO on X1 platform?
triton45
join:2012-10-25

triton45 to LouReed9

to LouReed9

Re: HBO GO not available from Comcast on Samsung TV

It's really not acceptable for a company like Comcast, charging what they do to be a "premium provider," to not provide their customers that have Samsung TVs with working access to the HBO Go product. The HBO Go app (downloaded to my TV via my comcast internet connection by the way) sits on my Samsung TV and is completely useless but only because my cable provider (at least for now) is Comcast. I have been waiting and I don't think comcast will fix this any time soon so I am going to switch to fios tv.