« wth
This is a sub-selection from Just a question
axiomatic
join:2006-08-23
Tomball, TX

axiomatic to 88615298

to 88615298

Re: Just a question

I agree with your argument but there is a gray area in play as well. The networks and advertisers have to somehow prove that commercials actually represent the reason someone goes and buys a product advertised on TV. At best commercials make you aware that a product exists but in no way (with the amount of online information on a product) does is sway anyone's decision to buy that particular widget over a competitors same widget.

I think the commercials need to stay. They are the source of a lot of shows production capital. However I also do not see a problem with commercial skip as even the Comcast DVR has a Fast Forward button that I use when I am not in the mood to "shop" during an episode of NCIS.

And then there is the "I can do something else" argument of going to the bathroom during commercials or surfing the internet on a laptop during commercials... sure the commercial ran, but it had no discernible affect on my buying habits as it was just background white-noise.

I think choice is best. Anything else punishes someone on either side of the argument.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

newview

Premium Member

said by axiomatic:

The networks and advertisers have to somehow prove that commercials actually represent the reason someone goes and buys a product advertised on TV.

More & more I find myself making mental notes about what NOT to purchase based on intrusive, asinine, pointless annoying advertisements.

Broadcasters and service providers have the right to insert annoying advertizing in the content they provide ... it's their network, they can do with it as they may. They can run it into the ground with stupid commercials for all I care.

However, they should be aware of and ready to deal with the backlash of a growing contingent of people like myself who are fed up with the increasing advertizing that we are inundated with, day in and day out, hour by hour, minute by minute.

I, for one, have chosen to closely consider that annoying, intrusive, asinine, pointless commercial ... shown over & over & over & over ... as one of the criteria under which I will make my purchasing decisions.

Basically, if an advertiser annoys me with a commercial for his/her product, they may not achieve the result they intended ... quite the opposite in fact.

I will also make use of any and all available current technology to avoid being annoyed by these stupid commercials. Advertisers may, in fact, want to THANK me for avoiding their drivel, thereby maintaining consideration for their product when making my purchasing decisions.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
MVM
join:2002-05-24

UHF to axiomatic

MVM

to axiomatic
said by axiomatic:

The networks and advertisers have to somehow prove that commercials actually represent the reason someone goes and buys a product advertised on TV.

The point isn't necessarily to sway you to buy that item right then and there. It's about awareness. Decades ago I talked to an ad person from the local newspaper, she called it "Top of mind awareness". It didn't matter what the content of the ad was, as long as it caught the readers eye and made them aware of the store in question. And through multiple insertions of the ad, it helped push awareness to the top of the consumers mind when they were in the market for our products and services.

Does Apple really believe that there's anyone that isn't aware of the iPhone? Nope. But by constantly running "iPhones are cool" ads, it brings the iphone to the top of peoples mind when they decide to get a smart phone.
UncleDirtNap
join:2006-08-26
Pittsburgh, PA

UncleDirtNap to axiomatic

to axiomatic
There is no gray area here what so ever, this is econ 101. In order to produce a TV broadcast there are fixed costs (production studios, sets, equipment, licensing fees etc) and variable costs (labor costs, taxes, utilities etc) it will cost X to produce a series of shows on a channel, the more people willing to pay for the channel the LOWER the channel will cost, the fewer the higher.

Based on the current viewership ratings of existing channels it would probably cost the 18 people who still watch MSNBC and CNN about $750,000 a month if they want to continue to do so, about 1.4 billion per customer for OWN and Current to stay on the air and $3.50 for ESPN, FX and A&E
« wth
This is a sub-selection from Just a question