share rss forum feed
« wth
This is a sub-selection from Just a question

Dezbend
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-20
reply to 88615298

Re: Just a question

OP’s premise. The cost of producing television is partially offset by revenue from commercials, and they are a necessary element of the business model.

Given: time given to commercials in the US has doubled since 1960.
Given: time given to commercials in UK (I could use almost any European country as a substitute for this point) is on average 7 minutes per hour (more than double the US average)

Conclusion: It costs more to make programming now than in the past, and it costs more to make programming in America than in Europe.

Corollary: Australia has more commercial time than America per hour, so it costs even more to produce television down under.

Alternate conclusion: the cost of creating programming has remained neutral over time and location, but American companies have used commercials to increase profit margins.

Note: European countries do have government and private channels competing, and the government channels are subsidized, so they don’t need as much commercial revenue.

I think, that if there were 7-9 minutes of commercials per hour, the demand for commercial skipping technology would be lower, and Dish would not have invested money in developing the hopper.

I think there are valid reasons to believe either conclusion I presented, and most likely the answer is a mix of them, but maybe it is time for the industry to reduce costs and shrink profit margins instead of fighting technology.
--
DSLr Mafia Member

bn1221

join:2009-04-29
Cortland, NY
Reviews:
·TowerStream

time given to commercials in UK (I could use almost any European country as a substitute for this point) is on average 7 minutes per hour (more than double the US average)
++++++++++++++++++

I call bullsh!t. In the USA a 60 minute NCIS episode is 42 minutes long. That is 18 minutes of commercials - more than TWICE the European average.

GlennAllen
Sunny with highs in the 80s
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA

I call typo (aka brain fart)--think he meant it the other way around (from reading the rest of the post)?

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to Dezbend

The average US 1 hour TV show is about 1/3rd commercials. It's getting to be around 40 minutes programming and 20 minutes commercials.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini