3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA

GlennLouEarl to b10010011

Premium Member

to b10010011

Re: Just a question

Manufacturer has a product. Manufacturer pays advertiser to promote product. Advertiser pays broadcaster to air commercials. Advertiser charges manufacturer for cost of commercials. Manufacturer includes cost of advertising in price of product. Consumers ultimately pay all costs related to advertising and, of course, manufacture and distribution of product.

Well, since we--the consumers--are ultimately paying for it... how exactly can we be "stealing" it?

No, what broadcasters are really afraid of is manufacuturers finding out that the money they're spending for promotion/advertising has next to no effect most of the time. Talk about the money train coming to a screeching halt...

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Through the second paragraph I thought" here someone who actually gets it'
even the third paragraph has a point.

BUT, once the giant teat is yanked from the mouths of advertisers, and they can't pay content producers, what drives that industry? Who funds the content producer on a RELIABLE enough basis to make more than one episode/risk millions on a season? or 10's-100's millions on a movie?
Yes it's expensive, inefficient, and at times wasteful and stupid.
but the huge amount of money is why we have the choices we do.

On the otherside Joe's Mfg. builds a widget which everyone MUST have Fred builds a better widget but most won't even try it, so Fred cuts the price to only 10% profit.
Do you think Joe will drop to match the price model? or will he take advatage of the popularity and go for the highest price most will pay?

And most important did joe price his widget lower to start BECAUSE he didn't pay for advertising.

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

GlennLouEarl

Premium Member

What happens? ...less chaff, more wheat.
GlennLouEarl

GlennLouEarl

Premium Member

Also, there used to be a time when actors were paid what they were worth--meaning they had enough to eat and a bed to sleep in. If my "choices" get reduced by having an economy based on what we produce instead of what we promote, then so be it. I can live with that.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to GlennLouEarl

Premium Member

to GlennLouEarl
More like 6 more reality shows with Donald Trump footing the bill, attempting to prove he's smarter then a fifthgrader.

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

GlennLouEarl

Premium Member

I tend to think the opposite will happen; but anything's possible--vast wasteland and all. With any luck, cosmic forces will put an end to our misery before we have a chance to destroy ourselves.
« wth
This is a sub-selection from Just a question