BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

2 edits

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

iPhone & Android tablet users get Bright House TV App Joy!

iPhone & Android tablet users get Bright House TV App Joy!
We're pleased to announce that the Bright House TV App is now available for select iPhones and Android devices (with Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS)), as well as all three generations of Apple iPads and iPods. In addition to the new platform addition customers in Florida will enjoy their local channels.

The app, which allows viewers to watch live streaming television anywhere within their homes, is available for download to Bright House Networks customers at no additional charge.

The Bright House TV App is available on the following Android devices equipped with ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich):

Galaxy Nexus Mobile Device (phone), model #SCHI515msv
ASUS Eeepad Tablet, model #TF201
ASUS Eeepad Tablet, model #TF300
Motorola Xoom Tablet

Coming Soon: Samsung Galaxy Tablet, model #GT-P7510 (will be available after the Samsung ICS platform upgrade)

Bright House TV is also available on the following Apple devices:

•iPad, iPad 2 or iPad 3 – “The New iPad” (already launched)
•iPhone 3GS
•iPhone 4
•iPhone 4S
•iPod 3rd & 4th generation

To utilize the Bright House TV App, Bright House Networks customers need to simply download the app from Apple’s iTunes store or Google Play. Once the app is downloaded, viewers can access Bright House TV directly from their device’s touchscreen by tapping the icon and entering their Bright House Networks My Services username and password.

The channels available for view on the mobile device are based on the channel lineup currently available with a customer’s Bright House Networks TV service. In addition to having a select Android device or iPad, customers must have a High Speed Internet connection and a wireless router to use the Bright House TV App.

The app is available at no additional charge to Bright House Networks video customers.

JeffMD
join:2002-08-16
Edgewater, FL

JeffMD

App refuses to work on jailbroken devices. Fail app is fail. -_-
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32

Premium Member

Check Cydia. I no longer use Apple iCrap, but my buddy just got an iPhone 4S off of Craigslist to see how it's changed since we dumped the iPhone a few years ago. As soon as he got home he jailbroke. He found an app in Cydia that allowed you to stream using the Time Warner app on jailbroken devices. Not sure if this will work with BHN or if someone created a version of the workaround to work with BHN or not, but it’s worth a look.

JeffMD
Edgewater, FL

JeffMD to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
You do realize the app on cydia will just be the same one on apples iCrap (lolwut?) but hacked?

I'll keep an eye out for it if it comes out (a recent post said bright house really has nothing to do with RR so I doubt their software is the same). Not gonna get too broken up about it now cause its not like I even have cable in my room, I figured I would just check the app out on my ipod.
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32

Premium Member

I have no idea how it works, if it's a different app totally, or just some patch that has to be applied. I didn't bother to ask as I try to ignore the world of iOS.

But the BHN TV and TWC TV apps are the exact samething outside of the logos they have on their splash screens.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to JeffMD

Premium Member

to JeffMD
said by JeffMD:

App refuses to work on jailbroken devices. Fail app is fail. -_-

You are correct it doesn't work with jailbroken devices.

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL

pcdebb to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
is this not the app i've always had on my iPad?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by pcdebb:

is this not the app i've always had on my iPad?

Updated

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
Brandon, FL

pcdebb to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
still confused

Flashfox
Eco-Text -- Why print E-mails?
join:2003-10-01
Carlsbad, CA

Flashfox to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
Hmm.. it also works with the ASUS Eeepad Tablet, model #TF300.

This is the current model and it was released after the TF201 (aka Transformer Prime) and like the latter, it is a quad-core Tegra-3 running ICS 4.0.3.

By the way, my tablet is NOT rooted but I read somewhere that like for a "jailbroken" iPad, it doesn't work with "rooted" tablets or those with custom ROMs. Is this the case?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by Flashfox:

Hmm.. it also works with the ASUS Eeepad Tablet, model #TF300.

This is the current model and it was released after the TF201 (aka Transformer Prime) and like the latter, it is a quad-core Tegra-3 running ICS 4.0.3.

By the way, my tablet is NOT rooted but I read somewhere that like for a "jailbroken" iPad, it doesn't work with "rooted" tablets or those with custom ROMs. Is this the case?

Are you confirming that its working with that tablet FF?

Flashfox
Eco-Text -- Why print E-mails?
join:2003-10-01
Carlsbad, CA

Flashfox

Yes sir... absolutely.

I just watched "48 Hrs" on my Asus Transformer TF300T at home using the app. It works great
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Thank you...adding to the list

TURBO1112
join:2010-04-28
Dade City, FL

TURBO1112

Any chance Kindle Fire gets added?

JeffMD
Edgewater, FL

JeffMD

It looks like they targeted ICS (android 4.0). The fire is still running gingerbread and I doubt we will see an update from amazon. Especially when you consider jumping from 2.3 to 4.0 nets a loss in speed, the volume of complaints from customers isn't worth it. Amazon isn't alone here either when it comes to considering 4.0 updates for android devices.

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
Brandon, FL

pcdebb to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
umm, okay i will assume the "new" app and the one Ive had for months are the same.....

bigdaddy
join:2009-11-18

1 recommendation

bigdaddy

said by pcdebb:

umm, okay i will assume the "new" app and the one Ive had for months are the same.....

Yes. It is the same TV App you used before. But Enhanced with New Features or Bug Fixes.

samw
Are you sure? If not check again
Premium Member
join:2009-11-23
Lakeland, FL

samw to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
Wonder if maybe us folks who have gingerbread (2.3.6) may be able to see this one day. If Netflix works, I wonder if this would too.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by samw:

Wonder if maybe us folks who have gingerbread (2.3.6) may be able to see this one day. If Netflix works, I wonder if this would too.

If you get upgraded to ICS yes...if not....sorry

JeffMD
Edgewater, FL

JeffMD to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
This program and netflix are not even remotely the same. And for what ever reason the development team has chosen ICS as the bottom rung of OS support.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by JeffMD:

This program and netflix are not even remotely the same. And for what ever reason the development team has chosen ICS as the bottom rung of OS support.

DRM is what it's all about. You can thank content owners for that decision.

bigdaddy

bigdaddy to JeffMD

to JeffMD
said by JeffMD:

You Want to Know to Why ? I'll Tell you it's Simple Android ICS 4.0 has Implemented Digital Rights Management framework aka DRM in the OS. that's why the BHNTV App only runs on ICS 4.0. it need's DRM Work. Here is a link »developer.android.com/sd ··· operApis when the page load's Click on the Android 4.0 for Developers link.

Media and connectivity

HTTP Live streaming
Bluetooth A2DP and HSP devices
Support for RTP
MTP/PTP file transfer
DRM framework
Input from keyboard, mouse, gamepad, joystick

I Hope this Post Clear's thing's up as to why BHNTV App will only run on ICS.
bigdaddy

bigdaddy to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

said by JeffMD:

DRM is what it's all about. You can thank content owners for that decision.

Sorry Gary I didn't see you post.

JeffMD
Edgewater, FL

JeffMD to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
Interesting.

Well I got the iOS app to work on ipod.. it looks like the file on cydia wasn't a cracked version, but just some alternative config file that worked on the time warner version and also will work on the bright house app with a slight string edit.

If DRM was their reasoning fir ICS then it isn't surprising they said no to jail breaks, I guess when content protection is everything in your business there is no such thing as overreaction.

Anyways, app seems nice. It isn't big or bloated by any means, and its lack of configurations just adds to its simplicity. I also actually like how it leaves the system bar exposed so I can monitor the time and battery levels. I hate it when games don't give that option. ^^ Also now I don't feel like I am missing anything by not having a cable box in my room. Now if only they had a full fledge desktop app. Chrome app maybe?

bigdaddy

1 edit

bigdaddy

said by JeffMD:

Interesting.

Well I got the iOS app to work on ipod.. it looks like the file on cydia wasn't a cracked version, but just some alternative config file that worked on the time warner version and also will work on the bright house app with a slight string edit.

If DRM was their reasoning fir ICS then it isn't surprising they said no to jail breaks, I guess when content protection is everything in your business there is no such thing as overreaction.

Anyways, app seems nice. It isn't big or bloated by any means, and its lack of configurations just adds to its simplicity. I also actually like how it leaves the system bar exposed so I can monitor the time and battery levels. I hate it when games don't give that option. ^^ Also now I don't feel like I am missing anything by not having a cable box in my room. Now if only they had a full fledge desktop app. Chrome app maybe?

A Windows Desktop Application would Be A welcome Addition to the Portfolio of TV Viewing Option's. As well as an Online HTML 5 Browser based Access.
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32 to JeffMD

Premium Member

to JeffMD
said by JeffMD:

Interesting.

I had a feeling it would work. Congrats, circumventing things you're not supposed to be able to do is pretty fun
quote:
A Windows Desktop Application would Be A welcome Addition to the Portfolio of TV Viewing Option's. As well as an Online HTML 5 Browser based Access
Expect it to use MS Silverlight for streaming via web browser.

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
Brandon, FL
ARRIS DG1670

pcdebb to bigdaddy

Premium Member

to bigdaddy
said by bigdaddy:

said by pcdebb:

Yes. It is the same TV App you used before. But Enhanced with New Features or Bug Fixes.

gooooothca. now that makes sense

bigdaddy

bigdaddy to Happydude32

to Happydude32
said by Happydude32:

said by JeffMD:

Interesting.

I had a feeling it would work. Congrats, circumventing things you're not supposed to be able to do is pretty fun
quote:
A Windows Desktop Application would Be A welcome Addition to the Portfolio of TV Viewing Option's. As well as an Online HTML 5 Browser based Access
Expect it to use MS Silverlight for streaming via web browser.

Oh I Hope your Wrong about that. By using HTML 5 I could Browse the in one tab while TV Access play's in background on another tab on the new iPad.
Expand your moderator at work
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32 to bigdaddy

Premium Member

to bigdaddy

Re: iPhone & Android tablet users get Bright House TV App Joy!

I can almost guarantee that I’m not wrong. The TW live streaming via browser uses Silverlight. Considering 99% of what happens at TWC makes it’s way to BHN, it’s almost a given that when Brighthouse gets web based streaming it will be the same as Time Warner’s.