share rss forum feed

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:153
reply to BHNtechXpert

Re: iPhone & Android tablet users get Bright House TV App Joy!

Yup you are correct....I will check on the status of Jellybean support when I return on Monday.

AMejia1976

join:2000-07-29
Kissimmee, FL
reply to zip1212
said by zip1212 :

BHN Customer in Tampa, FL. writes ...

... and anyone with any sense about them ( or style atleast ) is going to be running their tablet rooted.!

Zip...

While this may be true for many of the members here; rooting is not something many average people/users do. Lets not forget that ROOTING voids most manufacturer warranties and those who root KNOW this and are willing to take the chance.

Further; the limitation is not placed by BHN; but by content owners as certain DRM parameters/requirements were not really met until later versions of Android were introduced.

As has been said in many of the threads here; just because you do; do not expect others to do the same.

@l3x
--
Semper Fi

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by AMejia1976:

said by zip1212 :

BHN Customer in Tampa, FL. writes ...

... and anyone with any sense about them ( or style atleast ) is going to be running their tablet rooted.!

Zip...

While this may be true for many of the members here; rooting is not something many average people/users do. Lets not forget that ROOTING voids most manufacturer warranties and those who root KNOW this and are willing to take the chance.

Further; the limitation is not placed by BHN; but by content owners as certain DRM parameters/requirements were not really met until later versions of Android were introduced.

As has been said in many of the threads here; just because you do; do not expect others to do the same.

@l3x

I am not a fan of rooting unless you have superior technical skills and can afford to toss the device away should things go horribly wrong and it does happen. I get the premise behind doing it but....and it's a big but...do so at your own peril.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

bigdaddy

join:2009-11-18
kudos:2
reply to BHNtechXpert
When is BHN Going to Enable the ability to use the Coming Soon Feature's that are listed in the app store's of Google Play and Apple Itunes for BHTV App ?

TWC's Version already has those Feature Enabled and BHN Basically uses the same App as TWC's TWC TV App.

COMING SOON!
Finding your favorite shows
• Browse the interactive program guide with up to 7 days of TV listings
• Search for shows by title or episode name, and filter the results by genre
• Set favorite channels to create a personalized program guide
• View detailed program descriptions with color photos and cast information

Program your DVR or change channels from anywhere*
• Schedule one-time or series recordings, and change settings on compatible DVRs
• Change channels using your select Android™ devices and compatible DVR or cable box

BHN »play.google.com/store/apps/detai···TV&hl=en

BHN »itunes.apple.com/us/app/bright-h···700?mt=8

TWC »play.google.com/store/apps/detai···TV&hl=en

TWC »itunes.apple.com/us/app/twc-tv/i···839?mt=8

Thanks

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
Coming soon is one of those things I never was fond of....I'm more of a like wake up to Christmas surprises type things....oh but you are asking me....would it be okay if I just said coming soon?

Didn't think so....okay then....I'll let ya know when things change

zip1212

@rr.com
reply to AMejia1976
ahhh well i did not want to get too deep into the politics of it but...

truth is YES i want to use MY own network with the device. ( requires root )

truth is YES i would like to be able to see my own systems files ( similar to hide system files (( options.. )) in view files in windows. again requires root )

truth is YES i want to be able to plug a usb keyboard, usb mouse, usb stick, or usb HDD into my device ! ( since it is limited to no media port again root is required.. )

did i legally buy the device YES. is rooted ? of course.

do i pay a bill already for the service and just want what they advertise as working all year ? ...

ok the limitation is not placed by BHN fine but one would tend to think BHN is no different then any other cable provider such as TW ( time warner which swapped territories with BHN here in s.fl some years ago ) whom has sensibly dropped the denial of service to rooted devices in their latest app.

do i have the latest version of android yes i am running jelly bean v4.1.2 so the DRM parameters/reqs are met according to your own statement

did i get it to work with my device YES ( even tho its listed as device not supported when you go to install the BHN app ) so i know its fully capable and possible just as the users/customers over at TW do with out having to beg. )

anyways just saying and i am not trying to fight, argue, or ridicule anyone. just to get the service to work for me as it does for others.

PS - do i want to root my device ? no not really .. am i forced to ? apparently if i want to use it for anything other then a door stop.

Nayan3

join:2012-08-15
Melbourne, FL
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Well see, ya rooted your device and that's the issue. I have a non-rooted tablet that runs the app perfectly and I have no complaints .

zip1212

@rr.com
just to clarify ... my unit works. i did speak a little too soon on the other stuff tho its actually only necessary to root if want to connect to mass storage. which is nice i suppose but ill stick take the functionality anyday.

JeffMD

join:2002-08-16
Edgewater, FL

1 recommendation

reply to BHNtechXpert
Zip, you are wrong, the drm requirements for 4.x are NOT met on rooted devices.

JeffMD

join:2002-08-16
Edgewater, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
yay... election night and the app cant connect.. oh and it lost my logon and password so now I have to go dig those up.

rhinodad

join:2012-05-16
Orlando, FL
reply to waynew
Any updates on when jellybean might be supported by the app? Been a couple months since it was last discussed. Thanks.

sambowomble
Are you sure? If not check again
Premium
join:2009-11-23
Murfreesboro, TN
I second this request. Got a new Nexus 7 with 4.2.1 and no love from BHTV yet.
--
From the Tampa Bay RoadRunner/Brighthouse Market

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to rhinodad
said by rhinodad:

Any updates on when jellybean might be supported by the app? Been a couple months since it was last discussed. Thanks.

None as of yet
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

rabeatz

join:2012-11-26
Winter Springs, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
I find it interesting that Netflix still runs fine on rooted devices, when we know the whole reason they weren't bringing it to Android in the first place was concerns with DRM..

bigdaddy

Hopefully the reason for the wait is for the addition of On Demand content and DVR Management to the new BHTV App.

TWC-TV Just added some new Features to there iPad App.

What's New in Version 3.0.0

- Added access to thousands of free and subscription on demand TV shows and movies
- Optimized for iPhone 5
- Added “recently viewed channels” feature to live TV program guide

»itunes.apple.com/us/app/twc-tv/i···839?mt=8

Nayan3

join:2012-08-15
Melbourne, FL
Ohhh I'd like those please .

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16
reply to BHNtechXpert
I didn’t realize that the BHN app wasn’t compatible with Jellybean. For what it’s worth, the Time Warner app must have been updated to be compatible with JB, as a month ago I switched from the HTC Evo 4G LTE on Sprint running 4.04 to the HTC Droid DNA on Verizon running 4.11 and have no issues. Searching for the BHN app in the Play Store yields no results, so it doesn’t even show up. But there is hope.

And for those of you that think the app is useless because you can’t stream video outside of your own network, well, the latest update to the DirecTV app includes live streaming of a bunch of channels. In order to use the live streaming functionality you must be connected to the same network as the DirecTV set top boxes on your account. So it’s not just BHN and TWC with this limitation.
--
iPhone: 4” 1136 X 640 Display, 1.30 GHz Dual Core Processor, 1 GB RAM
MyPhone: 5” 1920 X 1080 Display, 1.50 GHz Quad Core Processor, 2 GB RAM
So tell me, why is exactly is the iPhone so great?
Droid Does What Jobs Won’t Let You Do.

rhinodad

join:2012-05-16
Orlando, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
Huzzah! Works on Jellybean now. At least on my Galaxy S3 (AT&T) with stock JB.

Now if it would only work on rooted devices....

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to rabeatz
said by rabeatz:

I find it interesting that Netflix still runs fine on rooted devices, when we know the whole reason they weren't bringing it to Android in the first place was concerns with DRM..

Netflix can do what they want from a rooted phone standpoint...just because one doesn't do it right doesn't mean the rest are going to follow especially with this issue.
--

bigdaddy

reply to rhinodad
said by rhinodad:

Huzzah! Works on Jellybean now. At least on my Galaxy S3 (AT&T) with stock JB.

Now if it would only work on rooted devices....

Is this Official ?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
No that was customer feedback but if it works let there be joy.

swamibob

join:2011-07-25
Auburndale, FL

4 edits
The latest bhn tv app is much improved. I love the new DVR features and ease of use. Here are my beefs with it.

Why can it not stream tv from any wifi source? Other companies allow this and if I am paying for the service, when can't it be streamed from anywhere? I can't even go down the street a quarter of a mile away and stream it at my mothers house who is also on brighthouse.

Why not add a mode to the app, like a debug mode, to allow people to run it on non supported android devices at their own risk. Everyone knows it would run fine on a nexus 7 but the app just won't let it run. Also, rooted devices. What is the risk involved letting it run? That it may crash? Are they still concerned with people somehow recording the tv this way and that is part of the concern? There are much better ways to record TV if that is your goal.

Also, where is the program to let me watch right on my pc? I would love to have a small tv window that is sizable running right now while I am typing this message. Come on brighthouse, give people what they want and maybe you'd win back some of the Fios customers.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by swamibob:

The latest bhn tv app is much improved. I love the new DVR features and ease of use. Here are my beefs with it.

Why can it not stream tv from any wifi source? Other companies allow this and if I am paying for the service, when can't it be streamed from anywhere? I can't even go down the street a quarter of a mile away and stream it at my mothers house who is also on brighthouse.

Why not add a mode to the app, like a debug mode, to allow people to run it on non supported android devices at their own risk. Everyone knows it would run fine on a nexus 7 but the app just won't let it run. Also, rooted devices. What is the risk involved letting it run? That it may crash? Are they still concerned with people somehow recording the tv this way and that is part of the concern? There are much better ways to record TV if that is your goal.

Also, where is the app to let this run on my PC? I would love to have a small tv window that is sizable running right now while I am typing this message. Come on brighthouse, give people what they want and maybe you'd win back some of the Fios customers.

There are plenty of other Apps that allow you to stream other forms of content and to build such (and support it) is unrealistic as this really is intended for our product only. Ford doesn't support Honda products nor is there an expectation as such and the same applies here.
--

swamibob

join:2011-07-25
Auburndale, FL
I don't really understand what you are talking about. The only form of content I want you to support is the TV form that I am paying for. Are you saying allowing the android app to run on multiple versions of the same operating system is the same as an american car company supporting a japanese car company? FYI the driectv app is compatible with most Android phones and tablets running 2.2 or later yet yours has to be 4.05 or higher?

Or are you saying there are other programs out there for me to watch my brighthouse cable programing on my PC? If I can set here and watch it on my phone or tablet even though the list is short on the android side, why not release a program that can be ran on the PC to do the same thing, even if it was limited to having to be at my home? I'm sure to a lot of people, being able to watch tv on their computer would be used more often than watching on their phone.

Don't get me wrong, I love the service I have been getting. I just wish the android app didn't box you into a corner as far as what device it will work on. I am in the market for a new tablet and it shouldn't be this hard to choose one. I'd like to get a newer one, but then I worry that the tv app won't work on it. And I don't want to get an old slower one like the galaxy tab 2 just to make sure it will. Is there anyone that just has a list of every known android device that it will run on? That would be really good since it seems to be very hit or miss from all the the forums I have dredged through to try to find out what to buy.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
Actually I misread your question and thought you wanted our app to support other methods of streaming (meaning your own programming stored locally). To answer your question it all revolves around existing agreements with content owners. Until things change there will be no change to the restriction that you must be on your local network to view programming.

dbmaven
There's no shortage
Premium,Mod
join:1999-10-26
Sty in Sky
kudos:3

(topic move) TW Cable Brings Out-Of-Home, Live TV Streaming to A

Moderator Action
The post that was here, has been moved to a new topic .. »/forum/remark,28210843

ArtieMcD

join:2012-04-06
Melbourne, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

Re: iPhone & Android tablet users get Bright House TV App Joy!

Why oh why does BrightHouse claim their app works on Android tablets... Yet it refuses to load on the 2 FLAGSHIP Android tablets, the Nexus 7 and Nexus 10...

Ugg..

Oh of course, I'd also like to see Windows 8 and Windows Phone support... But that's obviously too much to ask companies who have yet to figure out the Android thing... (Plus with a cable card all my Windows 7 and 8 tablets/DVRs already get live TV on all channels (not just the ones the BHN app wants to support).

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
We don't claim that it works on all Android tablets...those where it does operate adhere to all necessary standards that keep us from running afoul of content providers...those that don't...not so much. The number is growing however...

ArtieMcD

join:2012-04-06
Melbourne, FL
The Google Nexus 7 and 10 are "stock" android so the "necessary standards" line is not a very good BHN position. If any Jellybean based tablet has been certified... certainly the official tablet with pure Android on it, the only one with Google's name on it, would be the first to have been signed off. Perhaps more likely BHN is pulling a competitive play with Google rolling out gigabit internet in selective markets. Or maybe likely the the BHN app devs are still iOS centric (as sadly most the world is) and only dabbling with Andorid because the market is dragging them there.

geo44

join:2013-03-20
Saint Petersburg, FL
I think it has something to do with DRM. Content providers dont want anyone siphoning off a video stream and copying elsewhere.
It took netflix forever to make an app to use on android devices. That was the reason netflix used to explain the delay. So I think each device has to be checked for DRM readiness.