share rss forum feed

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:146
reply to BHNtechXpert

Re: iPhone & Android tablet users get Bright House TV App Joy!

No that was customer feedback but if it works let there be joy.

swamibob

join:2011-07-25
Auburndale, FL

4 edits

The latest bhn tv app is much improved. I love the new DVR features and ease of use. Here are my beefs with it.

Why can it not stream tv from any wifi source? Other companies allow this and if I am paying for the service, when can't it be streamed from anywhere? I can't even go down the street a quarter of a mile away and stream it at my mothers house who is also on brighthouse.

Why not add a mode to the app, like a debug mode, to allow people to run it on non supported android devices at their own risk. Everyone knows it would run fine on a nexus 7 but the app just won't let it run. Also, rooted devices. What is the risk involved letting it run? That it may crash? Are they still concerned with people somehow recording the tv this way and that is part of the concern? There are much better ways to record TV if that is your goal.

Also, where is the program to let me watch right on my pc? I would love to have a small tv window that is sizable running right now while I am typing this message. Come on brighthouse, give people what they want and maybe you'd win back some of the Fios customers.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by swamibob:

The latest bhn tv app is much improved. I love the new DVR features and ease of use. Here are my beefs with it.

Why can it not stream tv from any wifi source? Other companies allow this and if I am paying for the service, when can't it be streamed from anywhere? I can't even go down the street a quarter of a mile away and stream it at my mothers house who is also on brighthouse.

Why not add a mode to the app, like a debug mode, to allow people to run it on non supported android devices at their own risk. Everyone knows it would run fine on a nexus 7 but the app just won't let it run. Also, rooted devices. What is the risk involved letting it run? That it may crash? Are they still concerned with people somehow recording the tv this way and that is part of the concern? There are much better ways to record TV if that is your goal.

Also, where is the app to let this run on my PC? I would love to have a small tv window that is sizable running right now while I am typing this message. Come on brighthouse, give people what they want and maybe you'd win back some of the Fios customers.

There are plenty of other Apps that allow you to stream other forms of content and to build such (and support it) is unrealistic as this really is intended for our product only. Ford doesn't support Honda products nor is there an expectation as such and the same applies here.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

swamibob

Auburndale, FL

I don't really understand what you are talking about. The only form of content I want you to support is the TV form that I am paying for. Are you saying allowing the android app to run on multiple versions of the same operating system is the same as an american car company supporting a japanese car company? FYI the driectv app is compatible with most Android phones and tablets running 2.2 or later yet yours has to be 4.05 or higher?

Or are you saying there are other programs out there for me to watch my brighthouse cable programing on my PC? If I can set here and watch it on my phone or tablet even though the list is short on the android side, why not release a program that can be ran on the PC to do the same thing, even if it was limited to having to be at my home? I'm sure to a lot of people, being able to watch tv on their computer would be used more often than watching on their phone.

Don't get me wrong, I love the service I have been getting. I just wish the android app didn't box you into a corner as far as what device it will work on. I am in the market for a new tablet and it shouldn't be this hard to choose one. I'd like to get a newer one, but then I worry that the tv app won't work on it. And I don't want to get an old slower one like the galaxy tab 2 just to make sure it will. Is there anyone that just has a list of every known android device that it will run on? That would be really good since it seems to be very hit or miss from all the the forums I have dredged through to try to find out what to buy.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

Actually I misread your question and thought you wanted our app to support other methods of streaming (meaning your own programming stored locally). To answer your question it all revolves around existing agreements with content owners. Until things change there will be no change to the restriction that you must be on your local network to view programming.

dbmaven
There's no shortage
Premium,Mod
join:1999-10-26
Sty in Sky
kudos:3

(topic move) TW Cable Brings Out-Of-Home, Live TV Streaming to A

Moderator Action
The post that was here, has been moved to a new topic .. »/forum/remark,28210843

ArtieMcD

join:2012-04-06
Melbourne, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

Re: iPhone & Android tablet users get Bright House TV App Joy!

Why oh why does BrightHouse claim their app works on Android tablets... Yet it refuses to load on the 2 FLAGSHIP Android tablets, the Nexus 7 and Nexus 10...

Ugg..

Oh of course, I'd also like to see Windows 8 and Windows Phone support... But that's obviously too much to ask companies who have yet to figure out the Android thing... (Plus with a cable card all my Windows 7 and 8 tablets/DVRs already get live TV on all channels (not just the ones the BHN app wants to support).

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

We don't claim that it works on all Android tablets...those where it does operate adhere to all necessary standards that keep us from running afoul of content providers...those that don't...not so much. The number is growing however...

ArtieMcD

Melbourne, FL

The Google Nexus 7 and 10 are "stock" android so the "necessary standards" line is not a very good BHN position. If any Jellybean based tablet has been certified... certainly the official tablet with pure Android on it, the only one with Google's name on it, would be the first to have been signed off. Perhaps more likely BHN is pulling a competitive play with Google rolling out gigabit internet in selective markets. Or maybe likely the the BHN app devs are still iOS centric (as sadly most the world is) and only dabbling with Andorid because the market is dragging them there.

geo44

join:2013-03-20
Saint Petersburg, FL

I think it has something to do with DRM. Content providers dont want anyone siphoning off a video stream and copying elsewhere.
It took netflix forever to make an app to use on android devices. That was the reason netflix used to explain the delay. So I think each device has to be checked for DRM readiness.

ArtieMcD

Melbourne, FL

1 edit
reply to swamibob

said by swamibob:

Also, where is the program to let me watch right on my pc? I would love to have a small tv window that is sizable running right now while I am typing this message. Come on brighthouse, give people what they want and maybe you'd win back some of the Fios customers.

If you are willing to invest in a piece of hardware you can watch live TV on your computer today and not wait for BH to bother. Silicon Dust makes a Cable Card compatible tuner (with three tuners actually) that can be used on any PC (and mac) on your home network... In fact, that device can also feed Android/iOS and be a true universal live TV service for the home. Ceton offers a quad-tuner as well, but requires a PC to host the device any only support sharing the tuners to other Windows 7 client. The Silcon Dust one is an all in one applicant that just needs a coax line, a cable card (from BHN) and a network cable for it to feed all your network clients.

Beachie
Stranded in paradise

join:2001-07-12
St. Pete, FL
kudos:2
reply to ArtieMcD

said by ArtieMcD:

Perhaps more likely BHN is pulling a competitive play with Google rolling out gigabit internet in selective markets.

Say what? Geographically speaking, that makes absolutely no sense at all.

ArtieMcD

Melbourne, FL

2 edits

said by Beachie:

said by ArtieMcD:

Perhaps more likely BHN is pulling a competitive play with Google rolling out gigabit internet in selective markets.

Say what? Geographically speaking, that makes absolutely no sense at all.

1. Yeah I said it...
2. It's speculation.
3. You really think BHN/TWC is NOT afraid of google?
4. You really think Google is NOT going to expand?

BTW, the TWC TV app (which the BHN one is a copy of) actually is supported on the Nexus 4, 7, and 10. So it's probably a matter of waiting for the BHN hamsters to push the right buttons to make it happen.

The whole line about DRM/waiting for certification is crap though. (especially since the BHN easy gadget also isn't working and it has none of the DRM issues). Obviously testing the different Android releases is something that should be done. But if the "Jellybean" version has been signed off... Then all the Nexus devices should easily be signed off since they all run the "STOCK" version of Android... Jellybean has been out for 10 months now, there's no way BHN would have taken 10 months to approve iOS 6 when it came out.)

Add the fact that the Nexus 7 is the largest share of android tablets out there, simply by market share that tablet should have been tested first. And of course, there's the Kindle fire the other hybrid-Android tablet that has a huge market share currently being ignored by the BHN app, but this is indeed a separate platform as Amazon is using a forked Android version.

Either way... The point I wanted to make was.. It's simply silly that BHN hasn't bothered to support the Nexus 7 yet... This is the Flagship android tablet... The ESPN, HBO, NBC Olympics apps all worked day 1 on the Nexus devices... But BHN once again is trailing the pack.

ArtieMcD

Melbourne, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

said by BHNtechXpert:

We don't claim that it works on all Android tablets...

Correct, but this was not implied by my post either. However, the title of this thread says..

"Android Tablet users get Bright House TV App"

The Google Nexus 7 is an Android tablet. It does not have access to the Bright House TV app.

It's still a fact that the above statement is not true.... And the key to my post was to ask why this is so, especially considering the Flagship status of the "Nexus". We knew the answer from months ago was "Jellybean" isn't certified, and the Nexus 7 was the first Jellybean tablet (of course). But if Jellybean was certified... What is the delay now?

Beachie
Stranded in paradise

join:2001-07-12
St. Pete, FL
kudos:2
reply to ArtieMcD

said by ArtieMcD:

1. Yeah I said it...
2. It's speculation.
3. You really think BHN/TWC is NOT afraid of google?
4. You really think Google is NOT going to expand?

1. I figured you did
2. I should hope so.
3. Presently, BHN has nothing to worry about as far as competition with Google. TWC does, but they are 2 different companies.
4. I'm not holding my breath about it coming here anytime soon.

BTW, neither the TW or the BHN tv app have very good user reviews. It works on my iPad and it's iffy on my LG Ice Cream Sandwich cell. The first review I see for the BHN App says the latest update works with their Flagship...errrr Nexus 10. Have you tried this update?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

Most of the negative reviews on the BHTV current release stem from folks confusing the remote DVR functionality which works anywhere with the BHTV side of the app which still requires that you be on your home network. Previously the app would not function if you were off-network and gave the usual error...the latest version no longer gives you that error until you attempt to watch live TV. The end result is people think they are connected to their home network (because they didn't get the error on first run of the app) when in fact they are not. We are looking at ways to avoid this confusion in future releases. Bottom line...if you plan to watch live TV confirm that you are indeed connected to your home wifi first.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

ArtieMcD

Melbourne, FL
reply to Beachie

said by Beachie:

3. Presently, BHN has nothing to worry about as far as competition with Google. TWC does, but they are 2 different companies.

I see people state this a lot as if there's a significant difference between TWC and BHN. Yes, they are separate company with separate support facilities, financials, and legal structure... But they still have a ton of shared resources. If TWC has a contract dispute with a carrier and cuts off channels they get cut off on BHN too. Their technical upgrades are R&D are closely shared as their rollouts of new equipment, services closely follow each other as well. They are effectively sister companies.

said by Beachie:

4. I'm not holding my breath about it coming here anytime soon.

That's nice... But legacy cable companies are looking over their shoulder and are in the direct line of fire from Google... (And frankly Google is already attacking the cable companies PPV revenue stream via the very broadband BHN delivers.) Cord cutting is very very real.

said by Beachie:

The first review I see for the BHN App says the latest update works with their Flagship...errrr Nexus 10. Have you tried this update?

That's interesting. Will need to get my hands on a 10 again and see if it does work.. Last time we tried it, it did not. However, as of this very moment... Google Play states:

"This app is incompatible with your Asus Nexus 7."

Asus is of course the company that makes the Nexus 7 for Google, and Samsung makes the Google Nexus 10.

swamibob

Auburndale, FL

said by ArtieMcD:

said by Beachie:

That's interesting. Will need to get my hands on a 10 again and see if it does work.. Last time we tried it, it did not. However, as of this very moment... Google Play states:

"This app is incompatible with your Asus Nexus 7."

Asus is of course the company that makes the Nexus 7 for Google, and Samsung makes the Google Nexus 10.

I can attest that is does in fact work with the Nexus 10 now. I just bought one for this very reason instead of the nexus 7. I still wish that it would have worked with the Nexus 7 as this would have saved me $200 when I was deciding which one to purchase. I went with the nexus 10 because I liked to watch TV on my iPhone in bed sometimes, and didn't want to lose that functionality.

I can also tell you that the android version is not as nice as the ios version that i was using on my iPhone 4. The DVR section is the same, but the actual TV window does not have the easy to use channel scroll in the middle to quick jump to the area where the channel is that you want to watch. Also, at least on the nexus 10, once you choose the channel, the listing slides off the left of the video screen, but not all the way off so you still see a quarter inch of it sticking out on the left. I don't get why it always seems like the ace team of programmers do the ios version and the android version is just good enough to use. I am just just saying this about the bhn app, but quite a few of the apps i used on the iPhone are lacking features on the android version.

swamibob

Auburndale, FL
reply to ArtieMcD

I do appreciate the info and I understand that I could get a cablecard and additional hardware to watch tv on the computer. If I wanted to record to use it like a dvr I would consider that, but that would certainly be overkill if you weren't going to use the additional tuners or record. A simple application that basically works like the mobile app does would be more than sufficient to just watch tv on your laptop or desktop computer while you were doing other work. They do have other apps for the computer so why not just release one that can do the same thing they allow you to do on your phone/tablet at home? It's obviously not that hard to do.

maj urinator

join:2000-02-14
Davenport, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to BHNtechXpert

Is there a listing of which Android devices work?

The Google Play Store shows that my Nextbook NX008HD8G running Jelly Bean 4.1.1 is compliant. But when the App is launched the App stops responding.
--
There are only 10 types of people in this world those who understand binary and those that don't.