Search similar:

uniqs
ArtieMcD
join:2012-04-06
Melbourne, FL

1 edit

ArtieMcD to swamibob

to swamibob

Re: iPhone & Android tablet users get Bright House TV App Joy!

said by swamibob:

Also, where is the program to let me watch right on my pc? I would love to have a small tv window that is sizable running right now while I am typing this message. Come on brighthouse, give people what they want and maybe you'd win back some of the Fios customers.

If you are willing to invest in a piece of hardware you can watch live TV on your computer today and not wait for BH to bother. Silicon Dust makes a Cable Card compatible tuner (with three tuners actually) that can be used on any PC (and mac) on your home network... In fact, that device can also feed Android/iOS and be a true universal live TV service for the home. Ceton offers a quad-tuner as well, but requires a PC to host the device any only support sharing the tuners to other Windows 7 client. The Silcon Dust one is an all in one applicant that just needs a coax line, a cable card (from BHN) and a network cable for it to feed all your network clients.

Beachie
Where is Shelly Miscavige?
join:2001-07-12
Saint Petersburg, FL

Beachie to ArtieMcD

to ArtieMcD
said by ArtieMcD:

Perhaps more likely BHN is pulling a competitive play with Google rolling out gigabit internet in selective markets.

Say what? Geographically speaking, that makes absolutely no sense at all.
ArtieMcD
Melbourne, FL

2 edits

ArtieMcD

said by Beachie:

said by ArtieMcD:

Perhaps more likely BHN is pulling a competitive play with Google rolling out gigabit internet in selective markets.

Say what? Geographically speaking, that makes absolutely no sense at all.

1. Yeah I said it...
2. It's speculation.
3. You really think BHN/TWC is NOT afraid of google?
4. You really think Google is NOT going to expand?

BTW, the TWC TV app (which the BHN one is a copy of) actually is supported on the Nexus 4, 7, and 10. So it's probably a matter of waiting for the BHN hamsters to push the right buttons to make it happen.

The whole line about DRM/waiting for certification is crap though. (especially since the BHN easy gadget also isn't working and it has none of the DRM issues). Obviously testing the different Android releases is something that should be done. But if the "Jellybean" version has been signed off... Then all the Nexus devices should easily be signed off since they all run the "STOCK" version of Android... Jellybean has been out for 10 months now, there's no way BHN would have taken 10 months to approve iOS 6 when it came out.)

Add the fact that the Nexus 7 is the largest share of android tablets out there, simply by market share that tablet should have been tested first. And of course, there's the Kindle fire the other hybrid-Android tablet that has a huge market share currently being ignored by the BHN app, but this is indeed a separate platform as Amazon is using a forked Android version.

Either way... The point I wanted to make was.. It's simply silly that BHN hasn't bothered to support the Nexus 7 yet... This is the Flagship android tablet... The ESPN, HBO, NBC Olympics apps all worked day 1 on the Nexus devices... But BHN once again is trailing the pack.
ArtieMcD

ArtieMcD to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

We don't claim that it works on all Android tablets...

Correct, but this was not implied by my post either. However, the title of this thread says..

"Android Tablet users get Bright House TV App"

The Google Nexus 7 is an Android tablet. It does not have access to the Bright House TV app.

It's still a fact that the above statement is not true.... And the key to my post was to ask why this is so, especially considering the Flagship status of the "Nexus". We knew the answer from months ago was "Jellybean" isn't certified, and the Nexus 7 was the first Jellybean tablet (of course). But if Jellybean was certified... What is the delay now?

Beachie
Where is Shelly Miscavige?
join:2001-07-12
Saint Petersburg, FL

Beachie to ArtieMcD

to ArtieMcD
said by ArtieMcD:

1. Yeah I said it...
2. It's speculation.
3. You really think BHN/TWC is NOT afraid of google?
4. You really think Google is NOT going to expand?

1. I figured you did
2. I should hope so.
3. Presently, BHN has nothing to worry about as far as competition with Google. TWC does, but they are 2 different companies.
4. I'm not holding my breath about it coming here anytime soon.

BTW, neither the TW or the BHN tv app have very good user reviews. It works on my iPad and it's iffy on my LG Ice Cream Sandwich cell. The first review I see for the BHN App says the latest update works with their Flagship...errrr Nexus 10. Have you tried this update?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Most of the negative reviews on the BHTV current release stem from folks confusing the remote DVR functionality which works anywhere with the BHTV side of the app which still requires that you be on your home network. Previously the app would not function if you were off-network and gave the usual error...the latest version no longer gives you that error until you attempt to watch live TV. The end result is people think they are connected to their home network (because they didn't get the error on first run of the app) when in fact they are not. We are looking at ways to avoid this confusion in future releases. Bottom line...if you plan to watch live TV confirm that you are indeed connected to your home wifi first.
ArtieMcD
Melbourne, FL

ArtieMcD to Beachie

to Beachie
said by Beachie:

3. Presently, BHN has nothing to worry about as far as competition with Google. TWC does, but they are 2 different companies.

I see people state this a lot as if there's a significant difference between TWC and BHN. Yes, they are separate company with separate support facilities, financials, and legal structure... But they still have a ton of shared resources. If TWC has a contract dispute with a carrier and cuts off channels they get cut off on BHN too. Their technical upgrades are R&D are closely shared as their rollouts of new equipment, services closely follow each other as well. They are effectively sister companies.
said by Beachie:

4. I'm not holding my breath about it coming here anytime soon.

That's nice... But legacy cable companies are looking over their shoulder and are in the direct line of fire from Google... (And frankly Google is already attacking the cable companies PPV revenue stream via the very broadband BHN delivers.) Cord cutting is very very real.
said by Beachie:

The first review I see for the BHN App says the latest update works with their Flagship...errrr Nexus 10. Have you tried this update?

That's interesting. Will need to get my hands on a 10 again and see if it does work.. Last time we tried it, it did not. However, as of this very moment... Google Play states:

"This app is incompatible with your Asus Nexus 7."

Asus is of course the company that makes the Nexus 7 for Google, and Samsung makes the Google Nexus 10.
swamibob
join:2011-07-25
Auburndale, FL

swamibob

said by ArtieMcD:

said by Beachie:

That's interesting. Will need to get my hands on a 10 again and see if it does work.. Last time we tried it, it did not. However, as of this very moment... Google Play states:

"This app is incompatible with your Asus Nexus 7."

Asus is of course the company that makes the Nexus 7 for Google, and Samsung makes the Google Nexus 10.

I can attest that is does in fact work with the Nexus 10 now. I just bought one for this very reason instead of the nexus 7. I still wish that it would have worked with the Nexus 7 as this would have saved me $200 when I was deciding which one to purchase. I went with the nexus 10 because I liked to watch TV on my iPhone in bed sometimes, and didn't want to lose that functionality.

I can also tell you that the android version is not as nice as the ios version that i was using on my iPhone 4. The DVR section is the same, but the actual TV window does not have the easy to use channel scroll in the middle to quick jump to the area where the channel is that you want to watch. Also, at least on the nexus 10, once you choose the channel, the listing slides off the left of the video screen, but not all the way off so you still see a quarter inch of it sticking out on the left. I don't get why it always seems like the ace team of programmers do the ios version and the android version is just good enough to use. I am just just saying this about the bhn app, but quite a few of the apps i used on the iPhone are lacking features on the android version.

swamibob

swamibob to ArtieMcD

to ArtieMcD
I do appreciate the info and I understand that I could get a cablecard and additional hardware to watch tv on the computer. If I wanted to record to use it like a dvr I would consider that, but that would certainly be overkill if you weren't going to use the additional tuners or record. A simple application that basically works like the mobile app does would be more than sufficient to just watch tv on your laptop or desktop computer while you were doing other work. They do have other apps for the computer so why not just release one that can do the same thing they allow you to do on your phone/tablet at home? It's obviously not that hard to do.

maj urinator
join:2000-02-14
Davenport, FL

maj urinator to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
Is there a listing of which Android devices work?

The Google Play Store shows that my Nextbook NX008HD8G running Jelly Bean 4.1.1 is compliant. But when the App is launched the App stops responding.