join:2011-06-15
Louisville, KY
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·AT&T Southeast
·Insight Communic..

1 edit

[Speed] 20.0 problems - Louisville, KY

I understand that with internet service providers, when paying for 20.0 service, you usually do not get 20 megs...usually. They advertise "up to" 20 megs, 10 megs, etc.

But why is it with Insight that I am paying an upgraded internet fee for 20.0 service and more than 1/2 the time I receive speeds that are lower than the 10.0 service? My cable modem was exchanged due to a telephone issue last summer, and I had a new drop installed when activating service last April 2011. I restart the modem constantly, which then drops out my telephone service for over 10 minutes, then after reboot, it is back to where it was...around 7 megs.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do? Is the telephone service affecting the internet speed?

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
You need to get a tech out there to see if your neighborhood needs reballanced, or has any drops in signal. Had similar issues with the RR rebranded stuff up in Columbus, took awile to nail the issue, and while it still crops up on a lesser scale from time to time it took that to finaly get it back.

Kyu

@insightbb.com
reply to smashcraft
Every time you have issues, call and report. They'll generally run tests and then if the issue doesn't clear up, they'll send a tech. As you can see, I've had problems for quite a while and I've had techs coming out still as late as a couple weeks ago. In an effort to fix the issue they've so far replaced the router, replaced the cable running to the house, replaced the modem, re-replaced the cable to accommodate a further distance connection, and numerous tweaks.

It's still not perfect but it's a LOT more reliable than it has been. Low/slow speeds are the exception not the rule now, which is nice. It's a bit of a hassle to have them come out a lot, but eventually things will get straightened out.

unetmenet1

@sbcglobal.net
reply to smashcraft
said by smashcraft:

I understand that with internet service providers, when paying for 20.0 service, you usually do not get 20 megs...usually. They advertise "up to" 20 megs, 10 megs, etc.

But why is it with Insight that I am paying an upgraded internet fee for 20.0 service and more than 1/2 the time I receive speeds that are lower than the 10.0 service? My cable modem was exchanged due to a telephone issue last summer, and I had a new drop installed when activating service last April 2011. I restart the modem constantly, which then drops out my telephone service for over 10 minutes, then after reboot, it is back to where it was...around 7 megs.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do? Is the telephone service affecting the internet speed?

you can thank time Warner for that.... there slowing down the internet.. tonight out side the house a truck pulls up replaces a tap at 1:38 Am the old one was only a year old, the hole block is now reporting slower speeds before the new tap 21.62 after the new tap was changed 14.87 ..... you pay for 20.0 but now with the new take over your going to get less. and they well tell you there working on it ...
next there going to put a cap on how much you can download that's the nest step as i reported before the take over its all happening right now all over Louisville ky and Indiana truck across the area from out side sources are rolling in at night and slowing down are fast access internet to a crawl

Allfirdup

join:2007-01-10
Reynoldsburg, OH
have you been seeing a lot of black helicopters in the area during the day as well?

rjbasye

join:2000-05-24
Dry Ridge, KY
I don't believe Time Warner is doing what you are describing. It's simply a hardware problem somewhere that needs a truck role.

smashcraft
Premium
join:2011-06-15
Louisville, KY
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·AT&T Southeast
·Insight Communic..
I agree. I think it is a wiring problem. It appears to get worse when it rains, sometimes speeds dropping to around 4-5 megs. The line appears to be fine. Not sure what is going on. The telephone service does not drop, but from my understanding, it runs off of a different network.

DevilOnE
Fozzie the buttplug, Vu the shitkicker
Premium
join:2003-12-12
Evansville, IN
reply to smashcraft
I got 20.0 and I was getting 22-24megs down.